electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Sequencer - automatic (noodles)
The Muse pattern generator
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Rob

G2 patch files: 109

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: The Muse pattern generator Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is an emulation of The Muse, a pattern generator from way back. I used the schematic that is in Hal Chamberlin's book.

On the original there are some binary counters and a 31 stage bit shift register. Then there are four long sliders that select one of the outputs each and together form a four bit binary code. From this code a parity bit is generated which is fed back into the input of the shift register. Using parity has one drawback, when all four sliders take input from the shift register and having them all to the same output of the array will quickly force all states to all zeros. So, that should be in general avoided, unless one wants one single note that lasts forever. Wink

In the G2 implementation four clocked delay lines are used that each shift one of the four bits. This way each bit slider can be made with an eight way selector, seven inputs from seven outputs of the counters and the eight input from the output of a clocked delay line. Setting the length of the delayline will set the amount of shift for the particular bit.

Instead of using parity it works out very well to use the event bar on a CtrlSeq. This allows for interactive control on the feedback rule.

Anyway, the Muse is able to create continuously evolving correlated patterns that can be quite long. Especially as on the G2 the bit delay can be up to 128 clock ticks.

The counters make repititive patterns and the shifters do variate on these patterns. Thats what is to be kept in mind by playing with the patterns. The patterns can be controlled by eight knobs from one single parameter page.

So, here are two patches, the second one has a switch for either parity or the CtrlSeq for feedback. Additional use of the CtrlSeq is as a list for the possible notes to play.
The pattern generator generates sixteen values between 0 and 64, just the proper range for a CtrlSeq.

And additionally a link to a mp3 for those that do not yet have a G2 but are interested in the sound and pattern play possibilities. Its at http://www.xs4all.nl/~rhordijk/G2Pages/B-Mused.mp3

Note that when setting the patterns I didn't exactly compose, so it all has a bit a 'free' feel. Wink

B-Mused lookup.pch2
 Description:
Again The Muse, but with a lookup table for pattern feedback and notes to play.

Download
 Filename:  B-Mused lookup.pch2
 Filesize:  5.32 KB
 Downloaded:  2241 Time(s)

B-Mused basic.pch2
 Description:
A model of The Muse, a pattern generator from way back.

Download
 Filename:  B-Mused basic.pch2
 Filesize:  4.88 KB
 Downloaded:  2090 Time(s)

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Holly shit! I built a Muse way back in the 70s. Amazing. I'd forgotten completely about it. Of course the origial didn't sound as good, but this really is a great memory jogger.

Thanks for posting this. It's my birthday, for 5 more minutes. This is a great present. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Rob

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:37 am    Post subject: The Muse Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Happy birthday to you Howard Very Happy

Btw, I'm looking for pictures of original Muses, anyone any links?
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: The Muse Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rob wrote:
Happy birthday to you Howard :D

Happy birthday Howard !

Quote:
Btw, I'm looking for pictures of original Muses, anyone any links?

http://www.synthmuseum.com/triad/trimuse01.html ?

the description looks a lot like what you wrote, the picture can be clicked to enlarge it but it's not too good a picture unfortunately. And the Paul Geffen link leads into nothing ...

Jan.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Thanks for the B'day greets.

Now that I see this picture. I realize I didn't own one but played with one. Someone who did own one loaned it to me for a period of several months. He was a rich guy and bought it because it looked cool. I think there was a lengthy article in Popular Electrnics magazine about the Muse, complete with circuit diagrams. Anyway, Rob, this is amazing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Rob

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
<snip>

I'm especially looking for a picture that shows the front in a way that it is possible to read the texts on the box. These pictures are all a bit vague.
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Sequencer - automatic (noodles)
Jump to: