electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Need Advice on new Firewire Sound Card
Page 2 of 2 [32 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
larns

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

its too late now, but i would suggest the Edirol fa-101 bit over the budget but a really nice interface. good latency ins and outs
kkissinger

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Presonus unit is very nice and a great value for the money.

Before you purchase it, check this:

http://presonus.com/faq/forums.html?sid=322570&lang=en&action=artikel&cat=20&id=48&artlang=en

The Firewire is not compatible with some chipsets. I have used the Firewire and got excellent results. However, I outgrew it and ran into the chipset problem (yep, I had one of the incompatible chipsets on my laptop) when I wanted to use the Firewire for live PC music applications.

As long as you have a compatable chipset, you should get good results from the Presonus Interface.

Presonus' customer service was very responsive, too.

terry-t

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: problems with alesis io/14
Subject description: problems with alesis io/14
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello,

I have recently bought an Alesis io/14 (have mac 10.4.3, logic express 7.2.3). I am having difficulty transferring tracks from my ADAT. When recording ADAT via Alesis io/14, there is static (usually, first gradual, then to the point of pure 'white noise'). After downloading latest driver, the static is much less but consistently present. Have checked that I have correct sample rate setting (48k), mac locked with ADAT clock, tried every buffer settings, and tried no additional effects assigned while recording (all aui muted). I suspect Alesis driver, or possibly I have a defective Alesis unit. I will try older Alesis drivers, and possibly newest mac os 10.4.9.

Anyone else have a suggestion?

thank you,
terry-t
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: problems with alesis io/14

terry-t wrote:
Hello,

I have recently bought an Alesis io/14 (have mac 10.4.3, logic express 7.2.3). I am having difficulty transferring tracks from my ADAT. When recording ADAT via Alesis io/14, there is static (usually, first gradual, then to the point of pure 'white noise'). After downloading latest driver, the static is much less but consistently present. Have checked that I have correct sample rate setting (48k), mac locked with ADAT clock, tried every buffer settings, and tried no additional effects assigned while recording (all aui muted). I suspect Alesis driver, or possibly I have a defective Alesis unit. I will try older Alesis drivers, and possibly newest mac os 10.4.9.

thank you,
terry-t

Welcome to the forums, terry-t.

10.4.9 probably won't do anything for this problem, but as it hasn't messed up any of my other various programs, I wouldn't stop you from doing it anyway.

The static breakup sounds like one of two things. First possibility is a clocking problem. You say you're clocking from the ADAT. Try clocking the other way, see if that helps. Second possibility is signal loss. Are you using lightpipe? Is the cable free, no kinks, etc, and are the fiber ends clean. Clean the fiber ends with isopropyl alcohol if you have any, tape head cleaner (or video head cleaner works too).

Since it happens over time, it could just be hardware. Assuming no other problems with the ADAT, the io/14 does look suspect. But check all the other things first.

Home,My Studio,and another view
terry-t

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: problems with alesis io/14

EdisonRex wrote:
terry-t wrote:
Hello,

thank you,
terry-t

Welcome to the forums, terry-t.

10.4.9 probably won't do anything for this problem, but as it hasn't messed up any of my other various programs, I wouldn't stop you from doing it anyway.

The static breakup sounds like one of two things. First possibility is a clocking problem. You say you're clocking from the ADAT. Try clocking the other way, see if that helps. Second possibility is signal loss. Are you using lightpipe? Is the cable free, no kinks, etc, and are the fiber ends clean. Clean the fiber ends with isopropyl alcohol if you have any, tape head cleaner (or video head cleaner works too).

Since it happens over time, it could just be hardware. Assuming no other problems with the ADAT, the io/14 does look suspect. But check all the other things first.

Edison Rex,

Thank you for your prompt answer!

I had the Alesis io/14 for over a week and I think I exhuasted almost all possibilities. It really makes me long for my days with the Tascam Portastudio CASSETTES.

I believe I did try clocking to INTERNAL, but had speed/pitch problems when recording. But to rule this out scientifically, I will try again.

I believe the ADAT is working properly. When connected to an analog mixer, all tracks sound good. But am unable to confirm that the lightpipe is working properly.

Funny you mention the lightpipe. I had the ADAT for ten (?) years, and never used the lightpipe. I looked at it last night to see if anything obvious was impeding the signal like dust, but didn't see anything. However I didn't clean it with isopropyl alcohol. OK, I'll try it tonight.

Judging from other forums, I would say I am not the only one having problems with Alesis products. Their probelmatic drivers seem to be a common problem. Let me hope I can remedy my problem, or else I will sadly need to send it back.

I'll let you know if your suggestions were helpful this weekend. Again, thankyou for your generous assistance.

Terry-t
terry-t

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: problems with alesis io/14

Edison Rex,

Thank you for your prompt answer!

I had the Alesis io/14 for over a week and I think I exhuasted almost all possibilities. It really makes me long for my days with the Tascam Portastudio CASSETTES.

I believe I did try clocking to INTERNAL, but had speed/pitch problems when recording. But to rule this out scientifically, I will try again.

I believe the ADAT is working properly. When connected to an analog mixer, all tracks sound good. But am unable to confirm that the lightpipe is working properly.

Funny you mention the lightpipe. I had the ADAT for ten (?) years, and never used the lightpipe. I looked at it last night to see if anything obvious was impeding the signal like dust, but didn't see anything. However I didn't clean it with isopropyl alcohol. OK, I'll try it tonight.

Judging from other forums, I would say I am not the only one having problems with Alesis products. Their probelmatic drivers seem to be a common problem. Let me hope I can remedy my problem, or else I will sadly need to send it back.

I'll let you know if your suggestions were helpful this weekend. Again, thankyou for your generous assistance.

Terry-t[/quote]

Edison Rex,

Eureka!!! Viva la Edison Rex!

Yep, U were right about the clock rate. The Alesis 1394 settings NEED to lock to the ADAT at 48k. I assumed the computer and interface would automatically link correctly. However, this was unnecessarily problematic because I had to input this setting repeatedly before it would accept it (it kept rejecting this rate, and kept at 44K). Even then, while it read "locked", the nominal rate setting would continue to twitch between 48K and 192k (actual rate twitched from 48k to 47,953). It seemed like it was bucking, but my recording/play seemed successful throughout.

I fault the minimalist Alesis manual a little for entirely glossing over this very necessary step. I mean, c'mon, throw me a bone, if I am in deligence in reading the freaking manual, please put the very necessary information inside.

Anyways, thank you Edison Rex!!! Without generous people like you on forums like this, I would have thought the unit defective and sent it back.

Fare thee well,
Terry-t
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Terry-t,

Great to hear. I must say it hadn't occurred to me that the ADAT was clocking at 48K all along, or I would have mentioned that sooner. But it's food for thought, for other Alesis owners that SOP should be to slave clock to the outboard when present. I set my clocks for 44.1 and slave everything off of a single clock (my MOTU interface is the master in my studio).

Speaking as someone who owns enough digital equipment to recognise the sound of a clock slip, you'd think that a manufacturer could at least mention it in a troubleshooting guide. Or just add a paragraph somewhere saying what clocking is and why you need to match it up.

Anyway, glad to be of assistance.

Home,My Studio,and another view
Page 2 of 2 [32 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Jump to: