electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Sequencers
Question about TR-808 and other drum machine/sequencers
Page 1 of 1 [20 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
z_ecoustics

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Question about TR-808 and other drum machine/sequencers Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've never owned a hardware drum machine (I use Reason's drum machine right now) but am looking to buy one.

My question is, how do you put an emphasis on a certain beat? like, boom boom BOOM (repeat). In reason, when you click the step poition button once it's a soft hit, touch it again it's a medium hit then hard hit but this doesnt seem to be the style of these classic drum machines. If I wanted two soft kick drums and then a louder kick drum in the sequence how would I do that with something like the TR-808. Is it possible? Thanks.
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Roland used the 'accent' system. This is programmed in the same way as the other drum sounds. When a drum sound is on the same step as an accent, the level is boosted proportional to the accent knob setting.
Stanley Pain

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 35

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: Question about TR-808 and other drum machine/sequencers Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

z_ecoustics wrote:
I've never owned a hardware drum machine (I use Reason's drum machine right now) but am looking to buy one.

My question is, how do you put an emphasis on a certain beat? like, boom boom BOOM (repeat). In reason, when you click the step poition button once it's a soft hit, touch it again it's a medium hit then hard hit but this doesnt seem to be the style of these classic drum machines. If I wanted two soft kick drums and then a louder kick drum in the sequence how would I do that with something like the TR-808. Is it possible? Thanks.

if you want something to sound like an 808, nothing beats an 808. simple as that. the 808's accent function is unique to it alone and other analogue, digital and softsynths can attempt to emulate, but in order for a software synth to get it right there'd need to be a massive leap in technology and mathematical processing power.

aphex twin once said that VST's should be called PST's. we're not at the virtual stage yet, we're still pretending.

that's why people still use 808. come to think of it, that's the reason people still use violins.

Stanley Pain

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 35

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Question about TR-808 and other drum machine/sequencers Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

z_ecoustics wrote:
like, boom boom BOOM (repeat)

one idea worth trying might be to pitch the BOOM slightly higher than the boom.

z_ecoustics

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

anyone have experience with the jomox 999? thing looks pretty nasty and suppose to sound a lot like the tr-808.
Laszlo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

z_ecoustics wrote:
jomox 999?

Extremely overestimated (I don't know if it's the right word, but I hope you understand). It doesn't worth the money it costs.
z_ecoustics

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laszlo wrote:
z_ecoustics wrote:
jomox 999?

Extremely overestimated (I don't know if it's the right word, but I hope you understand). It doesn't worth the money it costs.

Have you used it? Why do you say this? To get a tr-808 in good condition you have to pay around $1,200 or higher and they always need maintenence. The 999 has sounds that are like tr-808 and can do even more things and has full midi implementation. Really seems like Jomox makes the bast analog kick drum at least. Why don't you like the xbase 999?
eeleye

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a Korg EMX-1, and the drum side of it is very similar to the 808/909. More sounds, and the same accent (which is not drum specific like ReDrum). If you like the sounds of the Roland stuff, I would recommend the Korg.
iPassenger

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 78

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a Machine drum and altho not particularly 808 sounding, it has a lot of other interesting drum sounds and i do love the kicks it can do. BUt in relation to your question you can actually program a seperate accent pattern for every drum sound, much like the way you can on Reason, you could also program a sequence of any other drum paramater over the course of the loop. TBH i am still very much learning to use it.
ar2jr

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The 808 has been my main drum machine and trigger sequencer for some years now. Nothing, and I mean nothing, comes close to it in sound and in immediate feel in terms of its sequencer. As far as accenting goes, it's pretty much as described above. You get an accent sequencer track and the accent volume pot controls how much 'louder' the sound is on the step. very straightforward. But the thing is, I don't know why, but the 808 just feels different than any emulation. It just is good. Smile
renegadebliss

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

z_ecoustics wrote:
Laszlo wrote:
z_ecoustics wrote:
jomox 999?

Have you used it? Why do you say this? To get a tr-808 in good condition you have to pay around $1,200 or higher and they always need maintenence. The 999 has sounds that are like tr-808 and can do even more things and has full midi implementation. Really seems like Jomox makes the bast analog kick drum at least. Why don't you like the xbase 999?

I picked up my TR-808 about 13 years ago and it's never needed services. So I don't know saying that they always need maintenance is correct. I just take care of it, and it's been taking care of me.

I think you pinpionted the main reason for me in your statement:
"The 999 has sounds that are like tr-808"

but I wanted not sounds "like" the tr-808 but sounds that "are" the tr-808. I have a great sampler. But it doesn't sound like my 808, even when I sample the 808 itself.

Also, from my experiences, the tr-808 has a better/sound feel, when you don't use the individual outs. Something about the way it sounds going through the VCA, gives it something....

I personally prefer the tr-808 kick to the Jomox kick.

Would I add a Jomox to sit next to my 808... yep... but it wouldn't be able to replace it.

Cheers,
Dave
si-rus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've had a lot of different drum machines over the years and I'd have to agree that the 808 is one of the best. Sound-wise, you can get very close to a lot of the 808 sounds with a CR-8000, but not the kick & snare unfortunately. In the context of recorded material it's often difficult to tell the real thing apart from modern clones. I suppose that's not really the point though.

Personally, I preferred the 909 as it's sounds were better suited to my style of music, but nowadays my favourite has to be the machine drum. It really is an excellent piece of kit. The powerful sequencing & synthesis options are only let down by slightly dodgy build quality on the the rotary encoders. Guess they don't make 'em like they used to Rolling Eyes
Jyoti

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have an 808, a 707 and a Machinedrum. I've also owned and sold loads of other drum machines. In terms of value for money, I'd rate the Zoom 234 highly as it just works. If I want to pretend to be an acoustic kit, I turn to that rather than a softsynth. If I want to sound like mid-80s indie, I switch on the 707. Not knocking the 707, it's great but it is very specific, like my Drumulator.

For more synthetic sounds, the Machinedrum and 808 are hard to beat. The 808 just has an awesome feel to it. You can never replicate that by sampling it and playing it back in a DAW.

The Elektron stuff is the only gear I've personally used that I'd compare to the 808 in terms of timing. The Machindedrum is funky as hell, without even any swing. It's solid. In fact, it wasn't till hearing the Elektron timing that I realised what I'd lost by switching to softsynths/DAWs and dragged my 808, 202 and other old stuff out again.

So, in conclusion, if you're worried about old gear breaking down, get a Machinedrum, if you're not, get an 808. For the ultimate partnership, get both! Cool

si-rus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah the 707's a nice machine. Good value for money as it's kind of halfway between a 505/626 and a 909. I used to have the 707/727 combo, but I ended up selling them just to save space. They are sample based after all and I found I was using the Machine Drum for sequencing all my drum parts anyway so it kind of made them redundant.

One of the best things about the machine drum is that it can be used to trigger (and send control changes to) your other midi gear as well. ATM I've got it hooked up to a Rack Attack and it's a really nice combo.

On the analogue drum side, I'd also recommend the Vermona DRM1. You can tease some awesome sounds out of that one. Also the tr-606 is worth a mention. You can pick them up really cheaply and especially with tone mods added, they sound amazing. Nice sequencer as well Very Happy.
Jyoti

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

si-rus wrote:
I used to have the 707/727 combo, but I ended up selling them just to save space.

I've thought about this but I just can't as the 707 is too much of an old friend. I've got some good gig memories of it... *sigh*

Quote:
One of the best things about the machine drum is that it can be used to trigger (and send control changes to) your other midi gear as well. ATM I've got it hooked up to a Rack Attack and it's a really nice combo.

Have you not used the Machinedrum to trigger pre-MIDI, gate gear? I mucked around for a while and I got one of the impulses to reliably trigger my Rogue and JX-3P sequencer. This makes the MD the closest thing to a modern 808 (okay, it's not analogue but you know what I mean).

Quote:
On the analogue drum side, I'd also recommend the Vermona DRM1.

I'm intrigued by the Vermona too. Hmmm...

Quote:
Also the tr-606 is worth a mention. You can pick them up really cheaply and especially with tone mods added, they sound amazing. Nice sequencer as well Very Happy.

I had one for a while and very much regret selling it. It was so small and great! I loved the clattery nature of the hats on it. Unique machine.

si-rus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Have you not used the Machinedrum to trigger pre-MIDI, gate gear?

Nope haven't tried that yet (apart from midi2cv method), but will be sure to give it a go. Good idea Very Happy

Quote:
I'm intrigued by the Vermona too. Hmmm...

I highly recommend it. Some of the sounds, like snares, are more awkward than others to program, but overall it's very versatile.

Quote:
I had one for a while and very much regret selling it. It was so small and great! I loved the clattery nature of the hats on it. Unique machine.

Yep, the 606 is a classic. It's hard to believe they still sell so cheap these days, considering the bloated value of it's relatives (808,909,303 etc.)
Jyoti

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

si-rus wrote:
Quote:
Have you not used the Machinedrum to trigger pre-MIDI, gate gear?

Nope haven't tried that yet (apart from midi2cv method), but will be sure to give it a go. Good idea Very Happy

It took me quite a while to get a reliable trigger. I just played around with the sound until it worked. I was afraid of frying my Moog so I kept the volume low. Once it was working, I assigned the sound to output C in all the kits I use, so as to not have any nasty audio surprises!

The thing I haven't tried yet is using the audio inputs to trigger the internal sounds from, say, my 808. I'm sure I saw online that someone was doing this. It'd be great to trigger samples from the 808. Or build my own Kraftwerk-style drum pads.

Quote:
Yep, the 606 is a classic. It's hard to believe they still sell so cheap these days, considering the bloated value of it's relatives (808,909,303 etc.)

(eyes Ebay) Razz

RETALI8

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TR808 is the king of the beats...untouchable!
I also have a TR606 (modded) and Jomox Xbase 09. Both are cool but the 808 is just the greatest shit out. I'd like a 707 and 909 too if I can ever come up with the cash.

fengland

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

get a boss dr 110 if you want something affordable and 808ish - it seems to be the cheapest analog programmable drum machine and it has the roland accent. I just got one for around $50 on ebay - there are some easy mods for it to make the bass drum decay longer, etc. I love it.
DaLuke

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:43 am    Post subject: 808
Subject description: modified 808
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

renegadebliss wrote:
z_ecoustics wrote:
Laszlo wrote:
z_ecoustics wrote:
jomox 999?

I picked up my TR-808 about 13 years ago and it's never needed services. So I don't know saying that they always need maintenance is correct. I just take care of it, and it's been taking care of me.

I think you pinpionted the main reason for me in your statement:
"The 999 has sounds that are like tr-808"

but I wanted not sounds "like" the tr-808 but sounds that "are" the tr-808. I have a great sampler. But it doesn't sound like my 808, even when I sample the 808 itself.

Also, from my experiences, the tr-808 has a better/sound feel, when you don't use the individual outs. Something about the way it sounds going through the VCA, gives it something....

I personally prefer the tr-808 kick to the Jomox kick.

Would I add a Jomox to sit next to my 808... yep... but it wouldn't be able to replace it.

MY 808 is modified so you can pitch the bass drum, etc...no Jomox can beat this...I sold my AirBase 99...did not like the sounds AT ALL...too teutonic sounding, is missing the warmth of analogue TR series...

Cheers,
Dave

my808.jpg
 Description:
my modified 808...www.irec.ro
 Filesize:  80.19 KB
 Viewed:  726 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

my808.jpg

my808.jpg
 Description:
my modified 808...www.irec.ro
 Filesize:  80.19 KB
 Viewed:  733 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

my808.jpg

Page 1 of 1 [20 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Sequencers
Jump to: