electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Sequencers
analog sequencer
Page 1 of 2 [39 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
tangerin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: analog sequencer Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi!
I've just joined this forum, and i'd like to ask your opinions about getting an hardware sequencer: i've found an used notron sequencer, that i was told is a great machine, it's very rare, and the price is really high now,
and doesn't have support. Then i discovered the p3 sequencer made by colin fraser (www.p3sequencer.com) that could be a valid alternative.
Then i also saw this: http://www.manikin-electronic.com/en/index.html.
This is developed together with Klaus Schulze but is really expensive...
I need a machine to play mainly live, intuitive and not too complex, don't need CV ports because i'm totally in midi now. I'm inspired by old electronic music (see my nick), so, I would be oriented to the p3, but don't know if the notron could be better...anyone tryed both?
Thanks for your suggests.
Bye
T
egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Notron is nice, but as you say, hard to find and expensive, no longer supported. It has the four wheel controllers, which when combined with force-to-scale, is great for real-time tweaking. The interface to it is a bit obtuse, however, one of those things that you need the manual for, if you haven't used it in the last few days.
The P3 is also very nice. I don't have one, but I have seen Paul Nagle use it at Different Skies. It's normally sold as a kit, but some people have gotten them pre-made. I'm not sure they're currently available (looking at the web site) but you could find out from Colin.
A good choice for a simple, analog style step sequencer is the frostwave Fat Controller. http://www.frostwave.com/fatcontroller/

A lot depends on exactly what you want to do in real time - record sequences, trigger parts, or manipulate parameters. Some of the groove boxes have pretty good sequencers - I like the XL-7 and RM1x. Also there's the Future Retro Revolution.
I have found the Nord Modular G2 to be very powerful as a live sequencing device. You can program it to do whatever you like, and assign knobs to the functions you want to control in real time. May be a bit expensive for just a sequencer, but you also get a fantastic synthesizer and effects processor.
tangerin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for the fast reply!
Yes i looked also the frostwave, but seems a little too simple:
I need a sequencer to build grooves and patterns in pure analogue style and tweak them "live". I've found the p3 manual and will read it deeply.
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

An alternative to pure analog sequencers like the Roland M-182, the Roland 717A, the Moog 96x modules, the Doepfer A-15x series, the ARP Sequencer and the KORG SQ-10 is the most magnificent Zeit.
http://www.infectionmusic.co.uk/
Trivia: David Hughes is a member here too. I bet he can tell you more about it.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr

Last edited by elektro80 on Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Zeit looks realy cool, but I think it's too big for live use.

By the way, it's David Hughes.
cebec

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

here's another analog seq... pre-order now...

http://www.synthesizers.com/q960.html
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That would be a super thing. I used the original MOOG sequencer back in the late 60s. It was very playable with the push buttons that jump to the stage when pushed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
paul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: analog sequencer Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tangerin wrote:
Hi!
I've just joined this forum, and i'd like to ask your opinions about getting an hardware sequencer: i've found an used notron sequencer, that i was told is a great machine, it's very rare, and the price is really high now,
and doesn't have support. Then i discovered the p3 sequencer made by colin fraser (www.p3sequencer.com) that could be a valid alternative.
Then i also saw this: http://www.manikin-electronic.com/en/index.html.
This is developed together with Klaus Schulze but is really expensive...
I need a machine to play mainly live, intuitive and not too complex, don't need CV ports because i'm totally in midi now. I'm inspired by old electronic music (see my nick), so, I would be oriented to the p3, but don't know if the notron could be better...anyone tryed both?
Thanks for your suggests.
Bye
T

... see also Mobius from FutureRetro http://www.future-retro.com/
... It is great! really great!
ciao

ambientdrone

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cebec wrote:
here's another analog seq... pre-order now...

http://www.synthesizers.com/q960.html

Just and update...Roger Arrick has decided to proceed with the Q960 sequencer. It will be an exact functional clone of the original Moog sequencer. Differences will be updated electronics only...

modulator_esp
Stream Operator

Audio files: 276
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm a happy user of the Sequentix P3, I bought the first production model.
It's a fantastic bit of kit and is extremely versatile. I've used both the MAQ16/3 and Regelwerk before getting it and it's definitely the most powerful of the 3. Another great thing about it is that Colin is very responsive to customer feedback and has incorporated lots of ideas from the user group (including one of my own)

At the moment I've got mine hooked up to a Cheetah MS6 for nice analog sequences

There's an mp3 of a rough idea I've produced for a jam session here, a bit rough but it gives you some idea what it can do - and I'm still learning Smile

Last edited by modulator_esp on Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:26 am; edited 1 time in total
softfreak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: octopus by genoQs Machines Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

btw.

2006-03-29
Octopus launching.. we would like to congratulate the new owners! Cool

http://www.genoqs.net/15010/28601.html

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, the Octopus looks fantastic. Reminds me of the now discontinued Notron...

Don't forget the Zeit Sequencer

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

There will be a demo of the Zeit at electro-music 2006 Wink

EDIT - opps... just noticed Elektro80's post about the Zeit earlier in this tread. Sorry for the redundancy... Embarassed

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
machinefunk

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Didn't notice anyone mention it, so I thought I'd add the Oberkorn from analogue solutions:

http://www.analoguesolutions.com/

I believe it can control 3 channels and has 16 steps, so definately worth considering.
cebec

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does anyone own/use/try a Signal Arts MAPS? (see link above)
I'm very curious about this, and I could use the built-in MIDI/CV converter, as well.
anal OG(ue)MUZEEK

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: ANALOGUE/MIDI SEQUENCER(when will the past & future collide? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

also, there is the SEKU. not sure if it's still in production but looks nice from what i've seen with big red front panel and sliders not knobs. good demo of one on youtube. has anyone out there used the OCTOPUS or MODCAN VC SEQUENCER 54B? i'm about to buy an analogue/midi sequencer but having trouble reconciling my SH-101/TB-303 cv/gate & six-trak/drumtraks midi needs. can anyone recommend sequencer that gives maximum CV/GATE control options while offering good midi/sync capabilities?
zonkout

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Analogic ACS TM 116 is nice, but pricy...
http://www.analogic-acs.com/tm116.html
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

anal OG(ue)MUZEEK and Zonkout: welcome
Sound

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Model 21 Milton
Sequencer ; Plan B

http://www.ear-group.net/model_21.html

milt_uberlarge.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  184.93 KB
 Viewed:  901 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

milt_uberlarge.jpg

verstaerker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

machinefunk wrote:
Didn't notice anyone mention it, so I thought I'd add the Oberkorn from analogue solutions:

http://www.analoguesolutions.com/

I believe it can control 3 channels and has 16 steps, so definately worth considering.

it seems that the producer has big quality problems - i tested two devices @ schneidersbuero in berlin - both where not properly working

so i would'nt recommend this sequencer

i finally bought a doepfer sequencer system wich i'm happy with

a little video from my first session
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPOYlYdWetg
roooareee

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: another one to consider Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There's also the Cyclus 3 from Spectral Audio. Looks promising, and not too pricey. I'm hoping to try one out when I go to Berlin in June. Can't decide between this or another synth (DSI evolver). Confused .
I'd also like to hear anyones feedback on the Signal Arts machine...
cappy2112

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
An alternative to pure analog sequencers like the Roland M-182, the Roland 717A, the Moog 96x modules, the Doepfer A-15x series, the ARP Sequencer and the KORG SQ-10 is the most magnificent Zeit.
Trivia: David Hughes is a member here too. I bet he can tell you more about t.

There have been updates to the site, but still no price is mentioned. However, it looks like it will cost several thousand dollars, at least.

There are a lot of short demo under a link from the main page, but you can't link to the demos directly.
modulator_esp
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cappy2112 wrote:
elektro80 wrote:
Trivia: David Hughes is a member here too. I bet he can tell you more about t.

There have been updates to the site, but still no price is mentioned. However, it looks like it will cost several thousand dollars, at least.

There are a lot of short demo under a link from the main page, but you can't link to the demos directly.

The Zeit is definitely in production, I know a couple of happy owners

apparently analog haven are the dealers for the US

http://www.analoguehaven.com/infectionmusic/zeit/

bubblechamber

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Zeit is great, I'm lucky enough to live within driving range of Analogue Haven and I've had the chance to spend some time with it. The only problem I have with it, and the GenoQs octopus also, is that they are midi sequencers and have no CV output standard.
If I were looking to buy an analogue seq. I'd probably get another MAQ16/3. It's a great 3 track sequencer with CV. and ALOT cheaper than the Zeit($2999US)+how ever much the CV option will cost+sending Zeit to them and waiting....
But if I had nothing but midi gear this would be the greatest sequencer ever made.
modulator_esp
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've just bought another MAQ for sequencing my analog stuff, whilst the P3 covers the midi stuff Smile
von haulshoven

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

and I just bought a maq 16/3 who will assist my P3 to create the stone age sequences Cool
Page 1 of 2 [39 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Sequencers
Jump to: