electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Theremin
control freaks and theremins
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:27 am    Post subject:  control freaks and theremins Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dear thereminists
I was wondering why your instrument sounds always awkward to my ears and I was thinking about it while listening to electro-music 2007 and finally I realized why:
I have been trained as a piano player so I am used to a very different user inteface where you hit a key and hear a sound (always the same one unless you change tuning Cool )
I'm a control freak so I tend to prefer discrete user interfaces where a pitch is assigned to a key, a button, a pedal, whatever Exclamation
So, keep using theremins and don't bother with control freaks like me Very Happy
Thanks for your attention Shocked

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
kkissinger

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes but Seraph, The theremin is the ultimate multi-temperament microtonal instrument. I think you should take up the Theremin. Very Happy

Seriously, one of the strange aspects about the Theremin is how it changes one's sense of difficult vs. easy. A passage that one could play with one's had tied behind one's back on a keyboard may require hours of practice to manage on a theremin. Just about EVERYTHING is challenging on a theremin and a thereminist (or a composer for theremin) is forced to make the most of perhaps little more than a few notes.

I'm not ready to give up keyboard playing, however the focus that goes into Theremin-playing has transferred to my keyboard playing and I feel that, in some ways, I have learned to "do more with less" when I am playing a keyboard.

Another irony is that to perform on a Theremin requires one to be quite a "control freak". Again, to render an accurate in-tune performance requires one to put every aspect in one's favor. The monitor placement and balances are critical for a great Theremin performance.

seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kevin,
thanks for your reply. I agree with everything you say. Unfortunately I missed your performance on Friday at electro-music 2007
Quote:
the focus that goes into Theremin-playing has transferred to my keyboard playing and I feel that, in some ways, I have learned to "do more with less" when I am playing a keyboard.

I feel something similar when experimenting with alternate tunings. I enter an unknown territory where I have to "watch my steps" carefully because I am not on the usual path and that reverberates, somehow, even when I get back to 12tET.

Quote:
Gordon Charlton

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: control freaks and theremins Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
I'm a control freak so I tend to prefer discrete user interfaces where a pitch is assigned to a key, a button, a pedal, whatever

Theremins don't have a user interface in the conventional sense. The player is exactly a part of the circuit. The player's hands are capacitor plates that complete the half-capacitors called the "antennas." There are no buttons or pedals or whatever to come between you and the generation of sound - nothing to put you at a remove. You and the theremin are electrically integrated - a cybernetic organism if you want to put a sci-fi spin on it.

It appeals to me as a control freak because instead of thinking about controlling some device or other the focus is on controlling my own hands to synthesize sounds; my volume hand shaping the envelope while the waves of my pitch hand modulate the frequency.

"Some thoughts have a certain sound, that being the equivalent to a form."
Paul Atreides in David Lynch's adaptation of Dune, describing the use of the Weirding Module.

It is possible that a lot of theremin "sounds always awkward to my ears" because it is not uncommon for thereminists to play a little flat. (Not Kevin, of course!) I am told that if your sense of pitch is particularly finely tuned to, say, 12TET it can be quite off-putting.
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: control freaks and theremins Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Gordon Charlton wrote:
You and the theremin are electrically integrated - a cybernetic organism if you want to put a sci-fi spin on it.

WOW! I had never thought about that Exclamation It sounds like an excellent definition.
My preference goes to a compositional device like a keyboard and not toward a performance device like the theremin, though.
I prefer to sound awkward for my compositions than for my performance Cool

Quote:
Gordon Charlton

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: control freaks and theremins Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:

My preference goes to a compositional device like a keyboard and not toward a performance device like the theremin, though.

Then what you need it this:

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
a Free Music Machine.
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for the link, too bad it looks a tiny bit cumbersome.

Quote:
Synthtech

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kkissinger wrote:
Yes but Seraph, The theremin is the ultimate multi-temperament microtonal instrument. I think you should take up the Theremin. Very Happy

Seriously, one of the strange aspects about the Theremin is how it changes one's sense of difficult vs. easy. A passage that one could play with one's had tied behind one's back on a keyboard may require hours of practice to manage on a theremin. Just about EVERYTHING is challenging on a theremin and a thereminist (or a composer for theremin) is forced to make the most of perhaps little more than a few notes.

I'm not ready to give up keyboard playing, however the focus that goes into Theremin-playing has transferred to my keyboard playing and I feel that, in some ways, I have learned to "do more with less" when I am playing a keyboard.

Another irony is that to perform on a Theremin requires one to be quite a "control freak". Again, to render an accurate in-tune performance requires one to put every aspect in one's favor. The monitor placement and balances are critical for a great Theremin performance.

I am a piano/keyboard player, and I am looking at getting a Moog Theremin, I am a little concerned that I would have no resources and have to train myself, probably making silly mistakes as I go that others have already figured out. No Theremin technique books at the local music store...Smile

www.synthrepairs.com
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Theremin
Jump to: