electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
Interested in Tau Pipe Phaser / Flanger boards ?
Page 4 of 26 [640 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ..., 24, 25, 26 Next
jhaible

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

StephenGiles wrote:

Did you record it?

Hey, are you a Tori fan as well? Shocked

I didn't record it, but I'm sure a dozend others have ... there's plenty of her concerts circulating on the web. I downloaded some from last year's tour, but then I bought the 12 Cds of what was to become the "Original Bootlegs" box which is so superb that I haven't dug out the other recordings once.
I hope she'll release something similar this year!

JH.

"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
synthetic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm interested in a board. Thank you.
Usine Karate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello everybody, I've just joined and I too would like to express an interest, I've been looking for one of these for a while!! Great stuff!!!
sonicwarrior

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Interested, too.

1 board.

Edit: Maybe THAT would be the cheapest high-end solution if there will be a groupbuy for them. But as the board design seems to be finished I think this is too late.
jhaible

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sonicwarrior wrote:
Interested, too.

1 board.

Edit: Maybe THAT would be the cheapest high-end solution if there will be a groupbuy for them. But as the board design seems to be finished I think this is too late.

The specs and pricing of the THAT chips looks good, but unfortunately the pinout is not compatible. (well, maybe it is - see below.)

The whole idea of building a Tau-Pipe-inspired effect for myself came from my purchase of cheap LM394's (a true bargain; I think that was from Fururlec), and these are pin compatible with the Analog Devices MAT and SSM pairs, too. Then I have made the layout such that you can alternatively use 5-transistor arrays (3046, 3086 - I think these are even available from different manufacturers).

It's important for me not to rely on a single source when I plan to make something available for a lot of people. That's why I haven't replaced that old dual JFET with a modern dual JFET either, but went for an instrumentation amp solution. (And not an integrated InAmp either, that could be hard to aquire - a circuit comprised of 3 ordinary opamps. In case that low noise Ti/BB opamp I recommend becomes obsolete one day, you'll have a choice of 100 other opamps.)
Also, I've provided two options for the capacitor size for most of the caps used in this project. I know how frustrating it can be when you buy a PCB that only has space for a 5mm capacitor, and you have plenty of 7.5mm MKT caps where the leads break off when you attempt to bend them Laughing

And now, if you read all the above, comes an idea which is a really long shot. And I mean a *reall* long shot. So don't tell me later that I said this will work; I just say there might be a tiny chance that this could possible work.
It all depends on the reverse Beta of the THAT transistors. Because you know what? It is - geometrically - possible to solder the 14pin packacke of a THAT300 into 14 of the 16 pins of two neighboring DIL8 sockets that are meant for the LM394's. Only thing is: Two of the THAT300's transistors will work as intended, the other two are working backwards. (A BJT transistor can work with E and C interchanged; only it will have a much lower current gain Beta.)
As I said, I don't really expect this to perform well. It depends on (a) the actual reverse Beta of the THAT transistors, and (b) on how well the all pass ladder performs with low beta transistors. Frankly, I'm not very optimistik about either. But as coincidece in the layout allows it, it would be funny to actually try it, and publish the results.

Sorry for the long reply - I'm aware that the last part is more confusing than helpful. Laughing

JH.

"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

iorobyy wrote:
HI!
One also for me please! Exclamation Wink

hi iorobyy,

check your pm inbox, please - it may be full. sent you a message weeks ago. it is still in my outbox.

Wink

jhaible

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good news: I can pick up the prototype board from the mail office tomorrow!

With some luck, I may have the prototype running after the weekend ...

JH.

StephenGiles

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had a painful tooth removed a couple of hours ago which had been with me for some decades, and having shut my eyes I thought of phase shifters (his assistant was not very good looking!) amid the pulling and pushing, not for long as it was all over in a couple of minutes! My dentist explains everything, and then proceeds to show me the three pieces of bloody tooth - as if I am interested! I now wait for the injections to wear off.........
jhaible

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

StephenGiles wrote:
I had a painful tooth removed a couple of hours ago which had been with me for some decades, and having shut my eyes I thought of phase shifters (his assistant was not very good looking!) amid the pulling and pushing, not for long as it was all over in a couple of minutes! My dentist explains everything, and then proceeds to show me the three pieces of bloody tooth - as if I am interested! I now wait for the injections to wear off.........

Get well soon!
And I hope you haven't conditioned yourself now, such that you will always relive your teeth removed, when you're hearing the sound of the phaser! Wink

JH.

kryptic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can't believe I am just seeing this thread now. Sounds great, Jurgen You can count me in for at least one board, probably two though.
jhaible

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's a photo of what I picked up from the post office today!

JH.

tau_prototype_pcb_photo.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  411.43 KB
 Viewed:  19607 Time(s)

tau_prototype_pcb_photo.JPG

StephenGiles

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

StephenGiles wrote:

It's fine thanks very much, I just needed a couple of pain killers today!
Fernando

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

very nice!
moosapotamus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Beautiful! Count me in for one! Cool

~ Charlie

jhaible

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

3 am - enough for today - time to go to bed.

I listened to this while soldering:
Tori Amos, American Doll Posse
Mike Oldfield, Tubular Bells (Boxed Version)
Saga, Worlds Apart
Tori Amos, The Beekeeper

JH.

tau_prototype_1stday_photo.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  412.06 KB
 Viewed:  19589 Time(s)

tau_prototype_1stday_photo.JPG

jhaible

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Board stuffed with CA3046s and wired for a first, very rough test.

JH.

tau_prototype_testing_photo.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  416.45 KB
 Viewed:  19585 Time(s)

tau_prototype_testing_photo.JPG

jhaible

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is it possible to post audio files here?
I try to upload the result of the first rough test.
Sound source:
White noise, and single VCO saw wave gated by Trapezoid, from Synthi Clone.
Run thru the Tau, added a little bit of reverb, recorded with Tracktion.

Even though I haven't wired all of the potentiometers and switches yet, I think I can say it has that special sound, and unique modulation shape!

JH.

jh_tau_demo_1.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  jh_tau_demo_1.mp3
 Filesize:  3.2 MB
 Downloaded:  1457 Time(s)

23isgood

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow! Very nice. Sounds delicious. Very Happy
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A lightning bolt from phase shift heaven!

thumright batman thumright

Holy cow!!!!

goodrevdoc

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That just gave me flashbacks! Shocked The swooping helicopter madness is sure to do us all in! RUN!
markusw

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey all,

Mr. Stites was so kind to post a link to this thread over at diystompboxes.

Fantastic!! Very Happy
Please count me in for one too.

Markus
jhaible

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I made some more demos.
First one is two stupid drumm patterns from my Korg Electribe.
Second one is me playing the Clav sound on the Korg Lambda and my 5-year -old son Tassilo turning the knobs of the Phaser.
Third one is Lambda Strings, also with Tassilo on the Phaser knobs.

This is all done with CA3046s. (haven't tried the expensive LM394 or SSM2210 pairs yet.)
I think the noise level is quite low, so you can certainly save a lot of money when you go for the cheap CA3046 transistor arrays. (If there is some hum and buzz audible in the demos, but that's because of the increadible sloppy wiring / unshielded cables and all, from that quick demo setup. The transistors would contribute hiss / white noise, and that is pretty much ok or such an extreme device, IMO.)

JH.

jh_tau_demo_2_korg_drums.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  jh_tau_demo_2_korg_drums.mp3
 Filesize:  1.99 MB
 Downloaded:  1098 Time(s)

jh_tau_demo_3_lambda_clavi.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  jh_tau_demo_3_lambda_clavi.mp3
 Filesize:  422.16 KB
 Downloaded:  1086 Time(s)

jh_tau_demo_4_lambda_strings.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  jh_tau_demo_4_lambda_strings.mp3
 Filesize:  1.99 MB
 Downloaded:  1076 Time(s)

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Simply beautiful. It sounds like you've nailed the sweep perfectly. The hardest part for so many stages (at least in my dalliances) was to get the sweep so that there was no annoying pitch bend around the bottom, which I don't hear at all in your samples.

And, it's comforting to know I'm not the only one who's employed his son as a pseudo-random function generator. That's the best we can do until Ian dreams up the Lorenz Popsicle Attractor circuit Very Happy

Thanks for posting these samples - what a great way to start the day.

Cheers,
Scott

J. White

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jürgen;

Great job & demos - I like the way that the Pipe has almost vowel-like sounds.

Very unique & definitely like no other phase-shifter.

-------------------------

JDW
pdub

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow looks and sounds great. can't wait. thank you!
Page 4 of 26 [640 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ..., 24, 25, 26 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
Jump to: