electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Potentially stupid question...G1 patches on G2
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
sunless

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject: Potentially stupid question...G1 patches on G2 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, I'm new here...but am a long time Nord Modular G1 user.

I'm thinking about getting the G2 now that OSX functionality has been announced, but I have one question.

Will my old patches for the G1 work on the new G2? Is there a patch converter or are they still the same basic file extension?

Thanks a lot.
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: g1 to g2 patch Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No backward compatibility for patch files. Even 'manual' copying is a problem because not all g1 modules currently implemented, or implemented in different ways. To many differences but from what I hear, the G2 is much better for creating new patches. I cant comment relatively as I never owned the G1 but there is a lot of thoughtful stuff in the G2 to improve workflow. For instance, you can swap some modules in place without having to repatch the connections. Other areas have been improved as well, checkout the manual.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Welcome, Sunless from Miami. hello welcome

People have talked about writing a patch converter program, but I don't ever expect to see it happen. Clavia isn't going to do it, it's safe to assume. Lot's of people are just repatching the old G1 patches on the G2.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Rob

G2 patch files: 109

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: g1 to g2 patch Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

g2ian wrote:
No backward compatibility for patch files.

The G2 is definitely based on the classic NM, but it is also quite a different instrument. On the patchlevel there is a new and imho improved approach to many techniques. The G2 is more structured, many new mixers and switches allow for a more flexible way of routing signals through a patch. I found that repatching old patches manually on the G2 can make them more flexible from a musical point of view.

At first I was worried about the lack of backward compatibility and not being able to convert old patches. But now I'm actually glad, simply as when repatching them they invariably improve. Personally I started to quickly use new features and modules, or solve puzzles in a different way which improved upon the musical possibilities of the patch. The G2 invites one to do so. On the classic NM many things needed to be done in obscure and indirect ways, only one example is the use of those grey signals. Those things are more easy to do on the G2 and in more transparent ways.

A patch converter should really be sort of an interpreter, guessing the purpose of an old patch and then build a new one in a more straightforward G2 way. And although I must have some faith in computers, as I've been using them for many years, I think that we ourselves are the best interpreter here, and that manual repatching will actually improve upon the old patches.

So my statement is: repatching by hand is actually rewarding.
sunless

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks a lot for the replies...I appreciate it.

It's kind of a bummer on one side, and totally fine on the other...I'm excited to learn all of the new modules for the G2...just wish I didn't have to throw out all of my patches...Sure, I could rewrite them all, but part of the point for me with the G1 was that I could build a huge library of my own sounds, just assuming I would be able to use it in the future. However, they never developed the OSX compatability, which I'm sure has been discussed here and I just don't feel like running an OS9 machine or a PC to only create patches...too much work...

The G1 was always fun because it was so quick and effortless.

However, I'm sure with all of the crazy new sounds I make in the G2, I won't even care about the old patches anymore.

I think if I were a synth manufacturer, I would want to create a timeless legend and not just consistent new products...for example in the software world: look at Native Instruments...they made some great stuff, then killed themselves on OS compatability and the "small details" of whether or not an application even worked...they don't support their old products at all and consistently release new ones. Nothing like paying to do someone's beta testing. Silly.

End rant now.
Thanks.
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: