electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
Any Electro-Music events in NYC?
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
gusjdt

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Any Electro-Music events in NYC? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll be heading to New York June 18th (next tuesday) for about a week. I just wanted to know if there are any electro-music events in New York City planned in that week or if you know of any other events that have to do with electronic music, analog synths, etc.

Also, for those who know how to get around, where can I go to get some hands-on experience with analog/modular synths? Be it a store, museum, workshop, etc.

Thanks in advance!

ndkent

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There's SHARE ( http://share.dj/share/ ) which is free and runs every Sunday 7pm to 1am @ Reboot bar and restaurant at 37 Ave A. You can watch or participate in the open jam and there's usually one or more guest sets.
gusjdt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah, just one day after I leave. : / That sucks.. Looks very interesting though. They should have that kind of stuff over here in Puerto Rico. Thanks for letting me know kent!
hyperstationjr

G2 patch files: 24

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rogue Music and Armen's (sp?) Repair Shop, both located on 30th and I believe between 7th and 8th Avenue (2 blocks from Madison Square Garden). Armen's shop has a TON of stuff, but it's all kind of all over the place and it's not the best place to "try stuff out", but he has custom rack-mount Moogs and Junos, even a 909 and all kinds of stuff. Really neat if you're in the area.

Rogue is also pretty good, though not nearly as cool and really just a luck-of-the-draw kind of a thing. I once found an Arp 2600, but sometimes all they have are old Roland Rack Romplers... It's a much better place to try stuff out though, and USUALLY they aren't too much of a pain in the ass about it (the guy with the Australian accent is very accommodating, everyone else is so-so to just an asshole). They usually have some drum machines, at least one MPC and sometimes some circuit-bent stuff.

The thing about Rogue is you kind of have to act like you are going to buy, or else they won't even look at you. Seems to be the "New York" style of sales...

There is also a guitar store across the street that always has some cool stuff and a VERY nice effects section, usually at least 2 or 3 Tape Echos. If you are into that stuff it's a cool place to check out, just be prepared for the "holier than thou" guitar-player attitude EVERYWHERE.

Otherwise, I've lived in the area all my life and I have no CLUE about what's going on. Most of the cool electronic stuff is going on in Philadelphia. There is an event in a Park on Saturday or Sunday I think.. Free buy BYOB... just look around n philadelphia, it's not far, only a 3 hour drive or train-ride, and it might be worth it.

For Sale/Trade:
Alesis Microverb 4, Make Noise 0-Coast, Monome Norns Fates clone, Panasonic RQ-705 Reel-to-reel, Roland Alpha Juno1, Yamaha TG55
gusjdt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks very much! I'll be sure to stop by both places today.
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
Jump to: