electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
hi. new to nord modular (G2)...
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Unfed

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 11

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 1:45 pm    Post subject: hi. new to nord modular (G2)... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi everyone, just like to introduce myself and thank you for this wonderful forum for the G2. after lusting over the original NM since reading about it in Sound on Sound when it was released, i've recently come to the conclusion that i don't really desire having a bunch of different synths around to make the simple music that i do. anyway, i decided to sell most of my gear towards the G2, and am very happy w/ the decision. the potential uses of the nord far surpass those of any synth i've owned (especially as a learning tool!). the UI is probably the best ever conceived, and the synth itself makes me want to actually 'play' it more than even my old SH-101 (maybe the most immediately 'fun' synth i've owned). very expressive...

not ashamed to say that most of the theories and applications i've been reading about here and elsewhere are (way?) over my head, but i'm having a blast trying to make sense of it all. run-of-the-mill subtractive synthesis i can understand pretty well, and while it's easy to come up w/ simple classic-style design, there's many tricks that can be implimented that i wouldn't even think of which will probably lead me into mediocre land. looking forward to learning much here in the future...

i really should sign up for the 404 list, i'm sure i'm missing out. also, do you think it'd be a bad idea to track down a copy of the wizoo nord modular book? i'm thinking it'd be a great resource, other than the obvious differences in the machines themselves...

Last edited by Unfed on Thu May 13, 2004 1:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Welcome aboard, unfed!

Knowing the basics of subtractive synthesis is a good foundation and the G2 is the best tool to learn!

Don't worry if you do not understand everything right away. As Rob pointed out in another thread, an inquisitive, experimentative mindset and good ears are just as important.

And most important is having fun.

Also, some things are better simply enjoyed rather than understood (like when our Noodle-chefs Jan and Rob are cluttering in the kitchen Wink )
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, welcome aboard, Unfed. welcome

Be sure to check out the G2 Patch Archive, http://electro-music.com/g2patches.php
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Unfed

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 11

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks alot, guys. having a community like this for such a great instrument is invaluable. mosc, i've already begun downloading Smile . hope to learn quite a bit from studying/dissecting the patch files. the archive page is a great idea, haven't seen that featured elsewhere.

also, doesn't the G2 have any sort of warranty card to send in, or product registration? haven't noticed anything like this...

egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: hi. new to nord modular (G2)... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Unfed wrote:
i really should sign up for the 404 list, i'm sure i'm missing out. also, do you think it'd be a bad idea to track down a copy of the wizoo nord modular book? i'm thinking it'd be a great resource, other than the obvious differences in the machines themselves...

You don't really need the wizoo book, check this out, it's a great resource for the NM and synthesis in general:
http://www.cim.mcgill.ca/~clark/nordmodularbook/nm_book_toc.html
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: