electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Waldorf Microwave I
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Kyahoga

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Waldorf Microwave I Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am currently gear lusting for a Waldorf Microwave I synthesizer, and am sitting on the fence on whether to go ahead and try to get one, or admit my gear lust and move on without it.
I like the whole "hybrid" idea. And the Microwave II that I currently own just sounds so much better through analog filters to me than it does straight to the mixer. Unfortunately the filter is overdriven very easily by the external input signal and often it sounds distorted. The distortion is fun at times no question, but I thought I would like to see how the MW1 sounds first hand.
In the end I am looking for a synth that works well / blends in well with my Sunsyn, which has completely delivered on its expensive price despite its erratic behavior at times. A true inspiration to play and hear melodies with.
I wonder if anyone has had a similar experience with their favorite synthesizers. All of a sudden many of the tone modules I am using seem very expendable... more like "production tools" than instruments. I am feeling keen on eliminating some of them to focus more on learning the depths of two or so synthesizers and work with more multitracking.
To make a long story short, I have a hope that the Microwave I from Waldorf could be the other synth I am looking for. I have really liked the few samples I have heard online.
Never the less, there always has been some big magical synth around the corner that I NEED, and to be honest the gear lust is getting predictable and old these days (I have 4 synths already). So I'm half ready to just end the synth buying habit for good ... of course AFTER I get this next one Wink
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have been a PPG Wave nerd for years. I even bought the stuff when it was brand new. Shocked The Waldorf Wave is kinda an evolved version of the PPG Wave 2.x series. The analog filters in the PPGs were outstanding.
I´m sure the same is the case with the Waldorf Wave. However, I´m not sure how good it really is all things considered. These are pretty expensive these days and newer Waldorf gear might be just as good. Something like the Q+ might be what you realy need.

As for the PPG, the Waldorf PPG Wave 2.V is an excellent emulation of the original and if you record this one in the analogue domain through something like GT The Brick or some of the Universal Audio preamp/DI/compressor combos you will get a fairly perfect sound. Even the gritty and inexpensive Joe Meek ThreeQ will do for certain sounds.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

microWave? Shocked

Sorry, I read this in a hurry I guess. I thought you were thinking about the Wave.. but then there weren´t really a Wave II so I should have .. Embarassed
anyways.. I like the Wave! Laughing

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Jump to: