electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
A New Voltage Controlled Quadrature Function Generator
Page 2 of 5 [108 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject:
Subject description: Awesome
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would like one of these boards as well.
tomcat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Like usual i cannot resist and will be in for one board Very Happy
krisp14u

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

put me down for a pcb or 2 Very Happy

Paul Darlow

www.krisp1.com
bugbrand

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool! Sorry to take a while to get back about things...

Randaleem wrote:
Nice module! I like the layout of your Frac panel. 8)

As for you putting up your pcb layout; I think you should!

I'd bet there are more than a few people who have both self-made and purchased PCB's in their synths. Probably even of the "same" module...

Ace! Thanks Randal and, yeah, I've got the diy and proper-board mix going on - best way! Thinking I should put the Frac layout up too - I did it with FrontDesigner and could easily export a jpeg of it.

Scott Stites wrote:
I don't recall any pips - I'll take a pic of the derived waveforms I have on my scope tonight, and post them to see how they match up with yours (I'm using MPF102). I plan to have pics of the waveforms on the site, also.

+1 on your ideas - there are a lot of things one can do with these 'staggered' waveforms.

Cheers,
Scott

I checked this out again and, actually, it wasn't very extreme (I did try to take pics but they didn't come out so well). I think with the 2n5857 there was still just a very little pip (or non-linear region) but then I thought this was maybe due to a slight DC offset I noticed on most of the waveforms - I put this down to using a 12v supply rather than 15v - so that's something for me to investigate sometime.

Oh yeah, and I also noticed after a while that running the circuit at audio rates there was a high freq limit beyond which the derived 90 and 270 degree outputs became filtered (I think above 1k or so) -- guess that's due to the caps around the final part of the 2nd TL074

Thomas Henry wrote:
....it's really great to have a Forum that cares about doing things the ethical way. It makes me want to contribute more...

Thomas Henry

Wow! Even more! Amazing! Really, so much respect for your works - they're great, powerful and full of good techniques for us to learn. My new rack currently has all its oscillators derived from your designs - 2 XR2206s, a Quadrature and an NE566 derivation. Oh yes!

Ok, so I'm still away for another 10 days or so but on return will try to quickly get the info up for anyone who does want to follow the DIY route.

Coriolis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Randaleem

Any idea what the price is going to be for those boards?
That, I'm afraid, is a deciding factor for me... Sad

C
Randaleem

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Coriolis wrote:
Hi Randaleem
Any idea what the price is going to be for those boards?
That, I'm afraid, is a deciding factor for me... Sad
C

Coriolis,

Thank you for your interest in the Thomas Henry VCQFG PCb's.

I've had a few questions of this sort; so I'll post one of the replies I sent offlist: (And I'll add a bit of detail to it, since I'm here to let you know what's happening on the project!) Here it is:

Hi,

The Thomas Henry Voltage Controlled Quadrature Function Generator is a VERY cool module with some real growth potential. It'll make your head spin and it can make your world will seem endlessly up--or downhill. Very Happy

It'll naturally fit into a Frac-Rac or Doepfer with its board mounted 4 pot capability, with at least 4 different mfr's pots supported! Bourns, Spectrol, Alpha and Blacet Panasonics. Some others will probably fit too.

If you don't want them where I put them; just use the four 3pin MTAs which are provided for on board (following dotcom format), so you can use This THD VCQFG in a dotcom or an MOTM Synth with no problem. Two pin MTAs are provided for all jacks, again following Dotcom technical specs.

The Blacet-style power protection circuitry parades up the back side of the board, and the MOTM 4pin and Doepfer 16 pin power connector are there too!
So you can feed CV or gate it from a bus if you want. (Doepfer style)

I've tried to throw a few extra pads and traces where I'd wish I had them If I were you and the board is still 1/2 euro size. 80x100mm (3.2 by3.94"). There may be a small prototyping area; but things are getting tight.

I thought I'd have it out by Friday, then Saturday. Was not to be.
But I hope the description shows that I've not just been slacking off Very Happy

Fortunately my board house can give me a 5-7 day turn so we'll still have 'em shipping as per the original estimate.

Price is as yet undetermined; but I'd bet that it will be less than 20 bucks, and will likely include some parts at that price. Maybe a lot of parts.

$15-20 for the board and some parts, I'd think. How does that sound?

Randal

FWIW, My favorite PCB layout editor is DOS based and old. The only printer I had that it could still work with died last week. So I'm struggling a bit since my personalised libraries and years of familiarity are now traded for the frustration of learning more about a program I've only used in a limited way before now.

Kinda like using a Moog all your life and showing up for the gig, only to find a Buchla or Serge onstage as the crowd files into the auditorium...

Performance under pressure!

I'll also admit being sidetracked by preparations for the things to follow this board. I have a couple VERY interesting things in line for this week, and hopefully Mr. Henry will allow me another fine circuit--or two or three Wink -- to appreciate once this one has left my enclave!
Randaleem

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject:
Subject description: Why you want at least two...

I hope its okay to post this privately sent question. I've hidden the sender until and unless he or she wishes to be known. I just felt my reply as I typed it might add something to the pages that Scott has written describing this module. Here it is:

> Hi Randal,
>
> Thanks for the quick response!
> The module sounds very interesting, and your price
> for the PCB sounds excellent
> to me. What do you like most about this module?

In answer to your question:

I like its subtlety.

I mean; its a quad function gen, right?

So what.

Yes, in the same way that a Serge dual slope gen is a so what.

This very solid, very basic module has at its heart something that is pretty compelling in synthesis, a tightly structured phase relationship which does not immediately shout how to be used.

Okay it does shout.

But to those with an ear for the subtlety underneath the shouting, it's a "five minutes to get aquainted; lifetime to get to know" kind of thing.

So after you've panned the room or done a few rising falling pitches; you either figure it was a good 15 minutes worth the price of admission... Or you start to realise how many places it can be used. I believe that over time it will become one of a person's core patching items. Somehow every patch will "need" it in at least one spot. Probably two.

Because it is especially interesting to see what comes of the non-synced actions of two or more in action together. I appreciate that it is non-synced. Such tightly coupled. but non-synced Lead-lag relationships are EVERYWHERE in nature. This modules gives you access to things that look NOTHING like the waveforms Scott posted on the info page.

Sheesh; I sound like I'm talking Field of dreams! But it IS like that. You just gotta build it, and then let the players arrive and play.

This can be an "organic" module as Thomas and Scott mentioned recently. The strict mathematical relationship of the waves sets up a stage where, like holograms; it's in the interaction that the image/message is formed. The interference patterns have at their base this structure which may completely dissolve as it is acted upon by other elements in a patch. Math at the heart is the source; but emotion for the soul is the result.

In the ocean, the steadily rising and falling waves create water moving in circles. Here also; the waves create round movement that is both smooth and powerful in its effect. And as with the ocean; if you combine a few of these wavetrains, you get interference patterns and results which range from sublime to powerfully chaotic. Crashing ocean waves with lulls of silence between.

As I said at the start; it's subtle.

Randal

>Someone wrote:

> Hi Randal,
>
> Thanks for the quick response!
> The module sounds very interesting, and your price
> for the PCB sounds excellent
> to me. What do you like most about this module?
>
> Sorry to hear about your printer...
> Please let me know when you have everything sorted
> out, and I'll be ready to
> buy... thanks again.
>
> -Interested Buyer
>
23isgood

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wanted to know if the CV in, on this module could be used like a reset? I need an LFO type module that I can reset so I could sync it to other events. If not, can this circuit be modified to do this?
goldenechos

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am interested in a board.

TR
RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Randaleem - I'd be interested in a couple of those boards....

You all are amazing. Scott posts the info June 10th and by July it looks as if we'll have two types of boards available. (at a reasonable price, no less).... and some not-so-vague indications of more to come.

Is 2007 the "Second Golden Age of Analog Modular Synths"? Who would have guessed it?

I am a reasonably fast builder - and I have a portion of my discressionary income set aside for this hobby - but like many others on this Forum - I can't keep up

Way to go Scott, Randaleem, Bugs and of course, Thomas H. Thanks for your efforts!
amos_joseph

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd be interested in a board.
Coriolis

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I'd prefer the bare pcb, since I have most of the parts already, but if the price lands at 20$, I'd sure like some parts with it! Wink

OTOH, if Tom does a layout, I might etch it myself instead.

Not sure yet - with all this stuff coming out, my allotted cash for this hobby is getting depleted fast.

Sorta OT - but not entirely:
Does anyone know if it's possible to send a fax from my computer, and how? It's for those lovely people at PayPal, so I can get "Extended Use", so I can buy me some boards!

C
23isgood

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have to agree. I'm short on cash too. It would be great if a single sided PCB design could be made available to us who would like to etch our own.
This would be awesome for all the other great DIY projects here on electro-music. I can buy all the parts for a module with $20.00 or less. Making my own PCB's cost a lot less than that.

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Coriolis wrote:
Does anyone know if it's possible to send a fax from my computer, and how?

Maybe something from http://www.savetz.com/fax/free_fax.php#freeus

edit: or: http://asterfax.sourceforge.net/

Randaleem

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

23isgood wrote:
I wanted to know if the CV in, on this module could be used like a reset? I need an LFO type module that I can reset so I could sync it to other events. If not, can this circuit be modified to do this?

Hi,

Check out the very first post in this thread.

Thomas worked to include it, but it is not presently available. Since it is a desirable feature for many; there may be a way to add it later.
No promises though.

As I before mentioned; I think if you are looking for a sync on this module you might be missing out on some of its subtlety. That ocean wave strange attractor thing again. Perfect chaos.

Randal
Randaleem

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

23isgood wrote:
I have to agree. I'm short on cash too. It would be great if a single sided PCB design could be made available to us who would like to etch our own.
This would be awesome for all the other great DIY projects here on electro-music. I can buy all the parts for a module with $20.00 or less. Making my own PCB's cost a lot less than that.

Hi,

Yes, that's one nice thing about this hobby/passion. A lot of different paths to the result. Endless possible paths and patches...

Tom (BugBrand) has said he'll be posting a single side PCB layout when he returns from a trip in a few more days.

Randal

23isgood

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you for answering my questions Randaleem!
Coriolis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jan, thanks for the links - found something else though:

http://www.rkssoftware.com/mightyfax/overview.html

Free trial for 30 days, enough for sending the one fax I had to send...

C
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Coriolis wrote:
enough for sending the one fax I had to send...

Laughing

Randaleem

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Thomas Henry THD107 PCB's available for order
Subject description: First look at the PCB for the Thomas Henry VC Quadratic Function Generator

Hi all!

Thank you for your interest in the Thomas Henry VC-Quadrature Function Generator PCB's.

Here's a look at the layout. I'll have ordering details tomorrow.

(Edit: I'm awaiting a permission to do addirional boards which will lower board cost if approved. Hope to post pricing soon, but it will not exceed the previous estimate. It might be lower.)

I plan to make board, partial kits and full kits with front panel available.
Finished Units will also be offered.

I'm still wrestling a bit with this layout editor, so the extra ref ID's in this pic (over some pads) are not part of the finished board. Edit: I'm finding it's easier to make a board that to present its likeness here!

EDIT: I cleaned up the image some, and made it look a bit more lifelike, I hope.

Let me know what you think!

Randal

(Edited Re-post of THD107 PCB details below)

The Thomas Henry Voltage Controlled Quadrature Function Generator (THD107) is a VERY cool module with some real growth potential. It'll make your head spin and can add power and/or subtlety to your sonic world.

It's a natural fit into a EURO or Frac-Rac with its board mounted 4 pot capability. (At least 4 different mfr's pots supported ON board! Bourns, Spectrol, Alpha and Blacet Panasonics. Some others will probably fit too.)

If you don't want them where I put them; just use the four 3pin MTAs which are provided for on board (following dotcom format), so you can use This THD107 in a Dotcom or an MOTM Synth with no problem.

Two pin MTA's are provided for all jacks, again following Dotcom technical specs.

The Blacet-style power protection circuitry parades up the back side of the board, and the MOTM 4pin and Doepfer 16 pin power connector are there too!
So you can feed CV or gate it from a bus if you want. (Doepfer style)

I've tried to throw a few extra pads and traces where I'd wish I had them If I were you and the board is still 1/2 euro size. 80x100mm (3.2 by3.94").

Sorry this took a bit longer than expected. Fortunately my board house can give me a 5-7 day turn so we can still have 'em shipping as per the original timeframe.

Price is as yet undetermined; but it will be less than 20 bucks, and will likely include some parts at that price.

$15-20 for the board and some parts, I'd think. How does that sound?

THD107PCB.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  269.83 KB
 Viewed:  289 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

THD107PCB.jpg

Last edited by Randaleem on Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:31 am; edited 4 times in total
Coriolis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That looks nice - aww hell, put me down for 1 board too!

C
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject:
Subject description: also

I would love to have one too.
slo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great looking board, i'll take one too!
clickmrmike

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm in!
crashlander42

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm sold. I'll take one.

http://www.myspace.com/isaciongun
http://www.youtube.com/user/Crashlander42
My DIY stuff Flickr
Page 2 of 5 [108 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: