electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  Rob Adventures in Sound
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » OSX as a music workstation
where did you buy your mac?
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Jason

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: where did you buy your mac? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Considering buying a mac.
Where would you get yours ?
What are the pros and cons of getting it at a places like
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/category/9731/Computers_by_Platform__Mac.html
as opposed to direct from the mac store?
I guess I am answering my own question a bit here but I guess they prep them a bit for media at some of those places...
And I guess it goes without saying get the best you can afford but what is a good model for basic audio/video performance? I guess
Mac Pro for desk and Mac Book Pro for notebooks?
I doubt I will do this any time soon just due to money,
but thought I would ask. Thank you.
Jason
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 169

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I bought the last 4 macs at the Apple Store. Not because it was cool, and I like black turtlenecks, but because I could get what I wanted. We have a few Macs in the house, however.

Before Apple Stores existed, there was a good store I knew that was very Mac heavy, they were more expensive though, which in Britain means 3 times what you pay in the US instead of the customary 2x. So once the Apple Store started selling for mere 2x the cost, it was a bargain. And actually the Apple Store has brought the prices way down, to exchange rate plus VAT which is very much an improvement.

I can't deal with the value added bunch, but that's because I know what I want and a large part of my migration problem is, well, the migration.

Home,My Studio,and another view
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My first ever Mac (an SE/30) was pulled from a skip near where I used to live. All it needed was a new hard drive. I promptly dumped my 486 PC that my Dad had given me. I always loved the look of the Mac, and this machine was pure sex!

My second Mac (a Performa 630) was bought secondhand from Ca$h Converters (and was bought to replace my Atari STe, although I went back to using the Atari, because Cubase for Mac was too buggy)

My 3rd Mac was a G3 WallStreet Powerbook bought from the ads in the back of MacUser magazine. Switched from Cubase to Logic.

My 4th Mac (a G3 Tower, and what a great computer Very Happy ) was also bought from MacUser ads

My 5th Mac, a G3 Lombard Powerbook came from the bloke who became famous for sticking the London Underground Map on bathroom tiles and Penguin book titles on mugs and tea towels! That one came from eBay.

My 6th Mac (my favourite Powerbook) was a G4 Powerbook and that too came from eBay- top tip btw, buy a secondhand Mac as soon as the new ones are announced. I got my G4 for £700; almost a 3rd of the price of what it was 6 months previous! The bloke wanted a quick sale so he could get the latest and greatest- he was also loaded!

My 7th Mac (an Intel one; this one) was bought direct from Apple Education Online- and although it is super-fast and also runs Windows XP, I can't stop help feeling that I'd be okay if it were only a PC running Windows. I suppose it's like whether you are a long time Tory or Labour supporter- you don't jump to the other, and stay loyal, but both PC's and Mac's are pretty neck and neck these days. Mac's are far better with dealing with file management though- very good if you need to work fast. I also walked into the Apple Centre today in Birmingham and was immediately accosted by Apple crazed attendants at the 'genius bar' who "know-it-all" attitude wanted to make me puke!! Laughing I'm a Mac?? Fuck-off and die!!!! Laughing

Incidentally, the keyboard on this MBP is CRAP (The Lombard and the Wallstreet had the best keyboards) and often misses strokes Sad But at least it glows in the dark, and I mostly use it with an external keyboard anyway Smile

I recommend eBay- but be extra careful, ask lots of questions, and make sure you get one from someone who lives nearby.

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jason, I should also add that both the Mac Mini and the MacBook are both excellent choices too. Don't let the cheaper prices put you off. The iMac range too is a total bargain- especially the 24" model.
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
Jason

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

gee I should have posted this in Apple computers but my whole goal actually is to become more familar with OSX so oh well.
Thanks for your informative responses. Rolling Eyes
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jason wrote:

Thanks for your informative responses. Rolling Eyes

What's that eye roll supposed to mean??

If you want to learn about OSX, just buy a computer that runs OSX (Mac or PC) and learn how to use it. Elektro80 is very good at showing people Mac tricks, if you can get him when he's not busy, but it's very much a case of "How long is a piece of string?"

Jason

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the eye roll? oh just contemplating if I should request moving this to the Apple Computers forum was all. I dont see it as an eye roll I see it as it looks anyway, not by what its called , it looks to me like its looking up and down the post Wink

And from what I have read PC's cant run OSX in GUI mode only from the command line. Though I havent really read that much up on it.
Jason

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hm well I guess there is bunch of different ways to install OSX on a pc.
So much to do so little time...
Thanks again
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

LOL!

the eye roll emotion to me is like saying 'tut'. So please forgive me.

The internet is still shit on communication decyphering (probably not the right expression) despite what everyone says! Laughing Wink

Jason

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry about that confusion Embarassed ... And really yes thanks for your help!
Its been great.
hmmm lots of info out there on installing OSX on pcs.
Thanks again Very Happy Wink
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » OSX as a music workstation
Jump to: