electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Diversity in electro-music
The MIDI Vagina Thread
Page 1 of 3 [54 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
bernat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject:  The MIDI Vagina Thread
Subject description: This goes out to the YouTube commenter that called Laurie Anderson pretentious and humorless
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Next up: MIDI boobs?
Last edited by bernat on Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
bbinkovitz

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

uh, can you explain what you're talking about?
bernat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sry, diagrams to follow soon.
bernat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

diagram 1.1

vagine.jpg
 Description:
diagram 1.1
 Filesize:  63.21 KB
 Viewed:  11576 Time(s)

vagine.jpg

bernat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Figure 2.1

bewbplant.jpg
 Description:
Diagram 2.1
 Filesize:  25.41 KB
 Viewed:  13859 Time(s)

bewbplant.jpg

ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What a great idea. I am sure you could adapt standard aftertouch techniques (remote pressure sensor connected to gel filled tube).
For the electronics, Doepfer have a product called MIDI Box.
softfreak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

like intimate boob controller ?
bernat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Whoa, a MIDI bra actually seems feasible. Perhaps it could be abstracted more and used as an external structure / sculpture..
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So, Kassen? When will we see a boob class with OSC for Chuck ? Shocked

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
So, Kassen? When will we see a boob class with OSC for Chuck ? Shocked

Hmmm, I'd have to ask Nescivi as she has more experience with bra's then I do as well as with putting sensors into clothes but the actual ChucK class could be prototyped in a few minutes.

The problem would be that OSC would instantly open questions about networking and mamal-musical-telepresence, ChucK would imediately put further emphasis on timing, which I find is already s delicate matter with underwear, as well as the more general issues about performance, the desired degree of audience participation (if any) and listener-artist interaction. Sound-design issues like texture would need to be treated very sensitively though obviously a firm hand will be needed to avoid the project turning overly ambiguous.

Technologically I don't see any realy problems but explaing all the details to somebody who's not a ChucK user like -say- my girlfriend might still take a while and I fear it'd be best if I'd keep some of my heavier textbooks at hand for that.

seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kas, I am looking forward to discuss this important matter together at "Chateau Sonore"

Shocked

and, please, remember to bring your "heavier textbooks" with you Exclamation

Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:

and, please, remember to bring your "heavier textbooks" with you Exclamation

I meant the ones that could be used in self-defence if needed ;¬)

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bernat wrote:
Figure 2.1

It would be mighty painful to increase amplitude with the present setup, so wouldn't it be more efficient solution if volume increased on the Z-axis as opposed to the X-axis? (or if looking from the front, the Y-axis as opposed to the Z-axis?) Idea

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
bernat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm surprised/confused/pleased/confused that people are interested in maybe making or helping with a MIDI brassiere. However, I can't honestly appreciate the idea of using breasts as instruments, especially on a stage in front of an audience likely predominately male. Maybe in a different context?

I am actually interested in creative tactile MIDI interfaces, so this is still helpful. Thanks for um, being supportive (yep).
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmmmm, I don't think it'd have much of a point *without* a predominantly male audience.

Oh, well, then you don't; suit yourself.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bernat wrote:
I'm surprised/confused/pleased/confused that people are interested in maybe making or helping with a MIDI brassiere. However, I can't honestly appreciate the idea of using breasts as instruments, especially on a stage in front of an audience likely predominately male.

So why post the idea then?

The only reason I can see is to get some sort of reaction. Well you got it. So now what? A fart controlled midi box? The louder the fart, the higher the frequency, the hotter it comes out, the louder it gets? I mean, where does one go next?

I'm on holiday for a week, so I'll let you chew on that one for a while, until I come back.

Incidently, the same sort of idea was done - albiet in a slightly more crude manner by prog-rock dinosaur's ELP, back in the late 1960's with a ribbon controller (use your imagination).

As for all these men who supposedly make electronic music in the theme of space and aliens etc, isn't that a rather typical, cynical, 'post-modernist' view of the world?

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
bbinkovitz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it makes me immensely happy that as soon as bernat suggested something making little sense with pretty much no point, as a "lame half-joke", a bunch of people immediately got to work figuring out the minute details of implementing it. for all the gender divide talk, the human race is also divided into the nerds who would talk about this kind of stuff and the ones who wouldn't. i'm glad to be on this side of that line!
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bbinkovitz wrote:
i'm glad to be on this side of that line!

which one Question

Quote:
bbinkovitz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
bbinkovitz wrote:

which one Question

the electro-music.com side!
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bbinkovitz wrote:
seraph wrote:
bbinkovitz wrote:

which one Question

the electro-music.com side!

good Exclamation

Very Happy

Quote:
deknow

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
it makes me immensely happy that as soon as bernat suggested something making little sense with pretty much no point, as a "lame half-joke", a bunch of people immediately got to work figuring out the minute details of implementing it.

funny....isn't this what i've been saying all along? no one gives a shit if the idea comes from a man or a woman. if she decides to make one of these devices, she will have plenty of help. not _because_ she is a woman, not _despite_ her being a woman, but because she is proposing ideas and asking questions.

no one here cares what the posters gender is.

deknow
bbinkovitz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

deknow wrote:
Quote:
it makes me immensely happy that as soon as bernat suggested something making little sense with pretty much no point, as a "lame half-joke", a bunch of people immediately got to work figuring out the minute details of implementing it.

funny....isn't this what i've been saying all along? no one gives a shit if the idea comes from a man or a woman. if she decides to make one of these devices, she will have plenty of help. not _because_ she is a woman, not _despite_ her being a woman, but because she is proposing ideas and asking questions.

no one here cares what the posters gender is.

deknow

you don't think the idea of a midi vagina would be percieved differently by other musicians if it were originally suggested by a man?
deknow

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it may be percieved differantly, but i would expect the same ammount of helpful posts to anyone who wanted to do such a project.

deknow
bernat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bernat wrote:
Thanks for um, being supportive

*tap tap*, is this thing on?
bbinkovitz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bernat wrote:
bernat wrote:
Thanks for um, being supportive

*tap tap*, is this thing on?

oh! i get it.

yes perhaps the level of support in the underwire could be midi-controlled.

while we're at it, let's build a barbarella sex piano.
Page 1 of 3 [54 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Diversity in electro-music
Jump to: