electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
component removal question
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
t3hsheepdog

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: component removal question
Subject description: chips and such
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been practicing removing components from scrap pcbs before I do it for real on some other stuff but i've been nervous about a few things. is it ok if the chip itself gets hot? how much take? also, whats the best way to reduce damage to the pins themselves when removing from the board? I don't like how I've been bending them to remove them from the board. are they still usable if I reallign the feet?
shawn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Generally it depends on the chip but they suggest only a few seconds for it to get hot then take a break to let it cool. Personally I'd buy a desoldering gun like the Hakko 808. You can remove a chip in under 30 seconds. It's basically a soldering iron with a vacuum built in. you can remove solder from just one pad in 2 seconds. No joke. It's not cheap, running about $80 but it is totally worth every penny if you ever remove components.

http://www.tequipment.net/ProductImages/Hakko/808_gun.jpg
frijitz

Audio files: 54

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Or use the Bissell technique -- heat the board up with a propane torch and then thwack it against something. Very Happy
t3hsheepdog

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

how much heat can ICs take without getting damaged?
para

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

a $20 heat gun will get you to 700 and 900 degree's pretty fast - never thought of doing Ian's method though. thats got to the winner.

steven
etaoin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

t3hsheepdog wrote:
how much heat can ICs take without getting damaged?

That will depend on the IC and should be in the datasheet. Larger ones usually can take somewhat more (heat needs to travel further from the pins to the chip), recent ones are also likely to have greater tollerance than, say, 1970's MOS.

doctorvague

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

frijitz wrote:
Or use the Bissell technique -- heat the board up with a propane torch and then thwack it against something. Very Happy

And then play "Dig the hot chip from the carpet" Very Happy
Nothing like the smell of singed floor covering in the morning.

toppobrillo

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i use a "sold-a-pult" solder-sucker like the one here:

http://www.stanleysupplyservices.com/product-detail.aspx?pn=114-202

very fast, just heat the joint and hit the button. poof! with a little practice, one plunge per pad is all you'll use.

if you are worried about it, you can use a heat-sink between the solder joint and the IC body.

in any case, work quickly, to avoid damage to both semiconductor and PCB traces.

josh
goldenechos

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like to use solder wick. I find it to clean up more effectively then the hand held "solder sucker."

If you have the money, a rework tool (with vacuum) is REAL nice.

TR
shawn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Using the heatgun then knocking the parts off I've always found to be messy. Not only do you knock out the part but you also knock out the solder. When I did it this way I used a box to catch all the parts. Didn't enjoy the toxic smell if you heat the board too much either (this is when I salvage all parts from a board). The Hakko gun is purely amazing and I can't stress enough how useful that thing is. Maybe I should shoot a video sometime using it just to show how easy it is to remove an IC from a board.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: