electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Cwejman Sound
Anyone used the compressors? Are they even out?
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
erich

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Anyone used the compressors? Are they even out? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm looking at building a little system with a few modules from a bunch of different module companies (which is, by the way, a HUGE pain in the ass, with 1/4 inch jacks, 1/8 inch jacks, and banana cables, all trying to connect, plus the different sizes and cases, buy anyway) These cwejman modules are really facinating me. Was looking at more Modcan stuff, but I am more excited about some of these for some reason. One thing I'm really curious about is modules with compressors, the AP-1 audio processor, and that forward compressor. I'd really like to use envelope followers to adjust the amount of compression on guitars and mic inputs, (not to mention fooling with how they would effect other synth sounds) I was wondering if anyone had fooled with these and how their sound compares to other pretty high end compressors. I am wondering how much they sacrifice as far as their sound considering all the bells and whistles that are included. I guess I could program something in reaktor to get an idea of how an envelope follower could be used differently than just standard compressors, like using the envelope to effect the ratio maybe. I never really use compressors, I know more about weird sound design stuff, but I'm thinking I need to get more comfortable with them, their simplicity kind of kept me from getting interested in them, I need to get into using them, they are pretty fundamental, and I just don't use 'em. These modules kind of jumped out at me though. Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I haven´t tried or even heard of the cwejman compressor module. Any links with more info?
That being said, I´m using compressors a lot for all sorts of purposes. Using compressors within modular patches is serious fun. Do not forget that vocoders, as well as all sorts of reverbs and delays can and should be used inside patches. One obvious way to use a compressor is on the output of a filter. That way you can batter a wildly changing signal ( the level that is ) into something fat and immensely useful.

A sound example is here: http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-2426.html

The bass line is on compressors.. but there are more tricks involved because the bass line patch goes stereo after the VCOs. Stereo patching is serious fun too. Obviously you will need gain adapters in order to take the signal out to the outboards and then back in for the VCFs and then back out again and then back in for some enveloping and stuff.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A good and very useful compressor for synthesists is the Joe Meek MC2.
http://joemeek.com/mc2.html

Do not think this is a toy. The compressor itself has an interesting colour and the stereo width thingie is extremely useful. What it lacks is iron ( transformers ) but it is usually far better to have these in a line driver / preamp / instrument DI thinge anyway.

Anyways, the same goes for compressors as with envelopes; there is no such thing as having too many around. Cool

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Even some of the digital multiband compressors from Behringer can be used. Sometimes you really will need a seriously controlled "ummphed" signal hitting the VCF or the enelopes/VCA. However, a slight touch of some subtle tubey scrunchy rattle and phiiing is great for the digital multiband compressor output.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
cbm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I haven't used them but the Cwejman line has two interesting-looking modules that do compression:
A preamp/compressor:
http://www.analoguehaven.com/cwejman/ap1/
And a more full featured compressor:
http://www.analoguehaven.com/cwejman/vcfc/

-C
ndkent

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

These caught my eye too, but I don't have the kind of money it takes to just buy and try them.

As to what elektro80 is saying, I think the attraction here is that the Cwejman compressor modules have voltage control on their parameters.

I guess aside from the concept of compressing a signal midpatch, a potentially good concept on it's own and something that can be done with any compressor that you like the sound of, it is worth commending Cwejman that they put a lot of voltage control into their compressor. Every once and a while some modular company makes an effect in modular form that has nearly no cv control. They seem to be delivering a lot of CV control here. Then again there is some possibility that in typical use you may not need that level of control very often.
cbm

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, in addition to the VC aspect, I think that the ability to slap a compressor into a patch at some arbitrary point could be useful. I suppose you could use external gear, but the level matching and connector issues would be a PITA.
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Cwejman Sound
Jump to: