electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Anyone in interested in a large knobs purchase-Davies 1900H?
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [22 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
numbernone

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Anyone in interested in a large knobs purchase-Davies 1900H? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am going to be buying a bunch (250 or so) Davies 1900h knobs in the very near future, and wanted to check and see if anyone is in the same boat. Not really interested in a wide ranging group buy, rather a few folks who are interested in quantity to bring the price down as far as possible on these EXPENSIVE little devils.

PM me in the next few days if you are into it, I may bump this thread up once or twice thru the weekend, and then stop hogging the badnwidth and buy some knobs Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Fernando

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I may be interested.

I recently purchased other Davies knobs and found there is a cheaper version of some or all? knobs without the inner brass insert. Lighter too of course. So maybe this is possible for the 1900H?

any price info yet?
psylux

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone in interested in a large knobs purchase-Davies 19 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

numbernone wrote:

PM me in the next few days if you are into it, I may bump this thread up once or twice thru the weekend, and then stop hogging the badnwidth and buy some knobs Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

I'm interested, what would be the unit cost?
numbernone

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There is quite a bit of contrary information as to this knobs current attributes to be found online. I am awaiting a call back from mouser, they will let me know if it has an indicator line, insert or no, and set screw. I wanna make dead sure before ordering so many of these things. If we can get up to 500 pieces, the price goes to $1.14... 1000 gets us just under a buck. This is my dream scenario, only thing being I am little short of time to parcel out small amounts. Hoping for a few people interested in 50+ (100s being even better) quantities. These really are the sharpest looking knobs I have found, I intend to use them on everything I make for the foreseeable future. I will keep you all posted. I also need to figure out how to handle $$ going back and forth etc. Want to make sure everyone feels comfortable.
tomcat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I need some (min 200). Not sure about the time frame right now. Why you ask mouser and not davies direct? You can have all combinations from davies when you order.
numbernone

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good point. I will look into that. Davies lead time is like 4-6 weeks which really is longer than I would like to wait tho. Mouser has 4000+ in stock which is appealing to me.
Fernando

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I bought my other Davies (1910, 1913, 1610) from Allied
They've got many, includding the versions without the brass insert, wich were less than half the price:
Davies 1910EL $2,98/1 brass insert
Davies 1910CS $1,25/1 same but plain hole

The shipping costs to Europe were excessive though

I found this people too:
http://www.bdsemi.com/parts2/getdata.php?id=1900+WITH+LINE

There should be a "chinese" clone around but I never found it...

Also I guess there are some companies (Taiwan, etc) that would make them for cheap...
tomcat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

numbernone wrote:
Good point. I will look into that. Davies lead time is like 4-6 weeks which really is longer than I would like to wait tho. Mouser has 4000+ in stock which is appealing to me.

Yes, but imho mouser has just the version without pointer (when i ordered them last time). And i would need definitely pointer versions (with line on top).

P.S. the knobs i ordered from mouser last time had no pointer and no brass insert. They look fine without the brass insert, so for me it would be ok to go the cheaper route
toppobrillo

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i just requested a quote for 500 out of curiosity.

Target price: $125.00; that's a quarter each.
Fernando

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

topp wrote:
i just requested a quote for 500 out of curiosity.

Target price: $125.00; that's a quarter each.

this is a good price, should have no brass insert but... with line??
fluxmonkey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

likewise, my understanding (and i'm not sure where i heard this) that mousers knobs were missing the line. i recently ordered from allied, their version had line, brass insert, and set screw.

i PMed, i'd be interested in 100 depending on price. for my purposes, the line is important, insert is preferred but not critical. can't imagine a 1/4" round knob w/out a set screw.

i'd suggest posting to the serge list on yahoo, since this is the standard serge knob.

bbob
tomcat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can order the davies with our without line.

Mouser has just the version with line on stock, the version without line is marked "obsolete".

The ones in stock are definitely without line, i ordered some a time ago.
numbernone

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Got a quote back from Davies directly, and... IM OUT

Prices are just nuts, barely less than buying from Allied.

If I needed 5000+ it would just begin to make sense.

Now I am going to try and figure out where Bent-tronics got his aluminum knobs from, I bought a few dozen before he stopped stocking them. They are quite nice and a similar size to the Davies.
Fernando

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...well, this is how a thread about buying 1900H usually ends...

not easy to find small diameter knobs that are tall enough to be useful

I preffer if the line goes down to the panel, like this one:
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=109
They seem to be Eagle.
I like it in white and in orange. For me the size is perfect for a small knob.
I does not have the nice 40's look of a Davies but it's very discreet btoh.
(or this one very cheap for knurled shaft:
http://www.futurlec.com/Switches/KNOB8.shtml )

For larger there are very nice looking Davies (I like 1910, 1913 and 1610) and many other options around

flutedinst_top(1900H!).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  20.93 KB
 Viewed:  6916 Time(s)

flutedinst_top(1900H!).jpg

instrument_top.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  18.5 KB
 Viewed:  6915 Time(s)

instrument_top.jpg

toppobrillo

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i like those 1600/1610s. i am checking on a 'special' source for a 1900H type knob. we'll see. till then...
tomcat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Im still in Wink
zipzap

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

These look good!
If there are a few people in germany we might join as one person, to get to the 1000 altogether. Just an idea...

jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anyone know of a tapered knob? My Emu 1616 has some really nice ones. You can grab the whole knob for accurate sweeps, or roll just the tip in your fingers for a faster sweep. They feel good, and seem to give your fingers more room when they're packed tight.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
mono-poly

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am in if we get the one with lines for a decent price.
And i am talking about a few hundred knobs.
tomcat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1000 pcs up $ 1.534 per knob

next break 2.500

This are the costs from davies direct, no shipping, customs, packing, nothing.

Especially for us europeans its a nice price at the moment ($/€).

So ladies and gentleman, name your numbers. With "blah" for a decent price we will not proceed further Wink

So 700 (500) more to go ...

P.S. the mouser prices are more nice, but mouser offers only the davies without line. Have them laying beside me.
soggybag

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would be in for 50 to 100 depending on price if we are getting them with the line.
tomcat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

soggybag wrote:
I would be in for 50 to 100 depending on price if we are getting them with the line.

Did you read my post before?
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [22 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: