electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Performances - Completed
delay noodle - 04-012-006
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 7:18 am    Post subject: delay noodle - 04-012-006 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some experiments with delays, shape LFO's and frequency shifting.

Jan.

04-012-006.prf2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  04-012-006.prf2
 Filesize:  10.75 KB
 Downloaded:  3010 Time(s)

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Another great one, Jan.

It has a classic electronic music quality to it. It goes though some great changes.

I usually put up a bunch of emoticons at this point, but I'll refrain out of respect to you're not being into them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
It has a classic electronic music quality to it. It goes though some great changes.

Thanks Howard.

It's one of the nice surprises of the G2 that it is capable to make some sound types that were present in the old time electronics (and that I've for a long time wondered about how to do it).

Jan.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I recorded a few minutes of this one and I'm posting it as an mp3. This is just a "naked" recording right out of the G2 - no processing, gain riding, compression, or reverb. Too bad the LAME mp3 encoder has mangled and muddied the audio. This recording is just to let people see what the noodle "sounds like".

Jan. If you don't care for me doing this, please let me know and I'll take it down.

Punter-04-012-006-5.mp3
 Description:
Jan Punters G2 Noodle 04-012-006-5

96 kbs mp3 (this encoding muddies the sound considerably)

Download
 Filename:  Punter-04-012-006-5.mp3
 Filesize:  2.52 MB
 Downloaded:  2512 Time(s)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's the same recording at 192 kbs...

Punter-04-012-006-5--192k.mp3
 Description:
The same as the previous recording but at 192k with LAME encoder

Download
 Filename:  Punter-04-012-006-5--192k.mp3
 Filesize:  5.04 MB
 Downloaded:  2443 Time(s)

Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow. It's so multifaceted, it almost sounds like a modern composition.

Big up for Jan again. thumleft
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
I Too bad the LAME mp3 encoder has mangled and muddied the audio. This recording is just to let people see what the noodle "sounds like".

Is it the LAME encoder or is it related to the sounds in the noodle somehow ? Is one sound better 'encodable' than another, or ?

I use the LAME encoder to rip CDs to my laptop sometimes and didn't really notice it to be particularry bad for the job.

mosc wrote:
Jan. If you don't care for me doing this, please let me know and I'll take it down.

No no, it's OK, thanks (I like 'm all to suffer, having G2's or not :-)

Jan.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Is it the LAME encoder or is it related to the sounds in the noodle somehow ? Is one sound better 'encodable' than another, or ?

The different encoders do better on some sounds than others. If the sound is complex the encoders seem to "steal" from the high frequencies and from the stereo separation. So, if there is a lot of complex high frequency stuff with subtile phase shifting in stereo, the encoding isn't going to work that well. The 192 kbs is much better than the 96 kbs, or whatever.

Back to the noodle. Yes, this IS a real modern composition. This is a process composition in the style that was big in the 60s with John Cage, Robert Ashley, and the people from the ONCE Festivals (and others). The fact that the details of the music are automatically generated isn't significant, at least to me. The composer creates the sounds and controls the extent and bounderies of all of the parameters.

This is as much composition as kinetic sculpture is art.

One thing that seems to inhibit many people from considering these self-playing patches as "real" compositions is the indeterminacy of the duration. If one adds a little circuit where you push a button to start the noodle and it ends after some predetermined time, then these patches seem to many more acceptable as compositions. I guess our concept of composition has expanded over the years, but we still cling to the essentiality a beginning and an ending.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:

The different encoders do better on some sounds than others. If the sound is complex the encoders seem to "steal" from the high frequencies and from the stereo separation.

OK, seems logical.

mosc wrote:
Back to the noodle. Yes, this IS a real modern composition.

A good noodle should at least aim to blur the distinction between man and machine :-)

mosc wrote:
One thing that seems to inhibit many people from considering these self-playing patches as "real" compositions is the indeterminacy of the duration. If one adds a little circuit where you push a button to start the noodle and it ends after some predetermined time, then these patches seem to many more acceptable as compositions. I guess our concept of composition has expanded over the years, but we still cling to the essentiality a beginning and an ending.

I think you're right and I guess that's why I started http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-2191.html as a structure to embed noodles in.

Unfortunately it seems a bit larger than the G2 can currently handle, that's why I didn't really get on with it ... I ran into trouble on adding content. Some of the paches I embedded wouldn't accept LFOs any more while this should still be posible, resource wise. Even worse, such a patch would then stop all other patches as well.

I hope to able to continue this one day, to be able to blur the distinction mentioned above a bit further.

BTW the bug known to Clavia.

Jan.
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Performances - Completed
Jump to: