electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
  host / artist show at your time
today> Modulator ESP Adventures In Sound
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
New Soundlab: Wooster Synth
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
psylux

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: New Soundlab: Wooster Synth
Subject description: with built in keyboard!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I saw this on Matrixsynth:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wooster/852431003/

"It is a Fatar keyboard. I created a PIC-based keyboard matrix scanner which can output CV, gate, and velocity."

wooster.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  148.79 KB
 Viewed:  5988 Time(s)

wooster.jpg

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Beautiful Soundlab Psylux! Very Happy

edit; err Wooster! Embarassed

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
psylux

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Right, just clarify, I merely reposted it! Props to Wooster!
Alienation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That is an awesome little synth. I wonder if Wooster would share details on construction with other DIY's??

Thought's?
LukeDI

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That may rate as the new best looking SLMS. Cute as a button (or knob in the case)
wooster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks everybody for the positive feedback! I'll take a picture of the inside soon. Here are some construction details:

- The synthesizer portion is a standard soundlab with some of the suggested modifications (1 V/OCT, fine tuners, S&H, intra-VCO modulation). I built this about a year ago and put it in a simple plywood box, which is why the audio output is on the front panel.
- The panels are made of aluminum from www.onlinemetals.com, laminated with paper and drilled with a press or cut with a jigsaw.
- The case is mostly made out of walnut, the bottom is made of plywood.
- The keyboard and the PB wheel are from Doepfer spare parts section of Analog Haven.
- I designed the keyboard scanner using a PIC microcontroller. It can output pitch, velocity, and gate. There is also pitch bend and portamento.
- The echo portion is not actually functional yet - I am basing it on the PT-80 delay project you can search for on google.
- It was originally battery powered, but after the first set of batteries died I switched to using a small linear power supply.

The keyboard scanner works pretty well, I think I will make another one for the modular I am building, and might do a PCB.
Alienation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the detail, the pcb idea sounds great.

Is that something you would consider doing and offering as in a (PCB) group buy or strictly for your personal use?

Don't mean to jump the gun on this, I realize you may have no intention of going the business route.

What about the fatar keyboard portion? Was that removed from a small stock keyboard, I'm assuming here.

Again, congrats on a very cool synth.
crazeydazey

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy very very nice...
Wild Zebra

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks awesome, great job!
Quote:
The keyboard scanner works pretty well, I think I will make another one for the modular I am building, and might do a PCB

I know you already designed one so you should take a look at this thread
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-17815.html

Welcome to electro-music home of the klee sequencer Wink

wooster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Zebra. I was thinking people might like a low cost alternative to MIDI->CV converters for DIY projects. However the Thomas Henry keyboard seems great. If its total cost is low I probably won't bother doing a PCB. Here are some pictures of the inside of the case.

2007_0726_110437AA.JPG
 Description:
Inside Soundlab
 Filesize:  180.77 KB
 Viewed:  4867 Time(s)

2007_0726_110437AA.JPG

2007_0726_110619AA.JPG
 Description:
Keyboard scanner close-up
 Filesize:  177.55 KB
 Viewed:  4841 Time(s)

2007_0726_110619AA.JPG

Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Jump to: