electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Klee sequencer
Super Klee Sequencer
Page 24 of 27 [659 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 Next
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In all this time I've been noodling around with the Klee, I've never really explored the external load function a whole lot. I figured out once one had a good selection of voices and a nice setting on the pots, one can really go to town playing with that function. What I did was clock the Klee with one LFO and used an additional LFO to trigger the load. It was a real blast playing with the relative frequencies of both LFOs while going through the different modes (random, random/pattern, invert B) - another nice way to kill hours of time Very Happy .

Anyway, I stopped futzing with the settings long enough to record a sample of what can be done using a load signal that isn't synced to the clock (mainly because I didn't have a divider laying around anywhere).

This sample uses two voices - one is a VCO through the 2040 filter, and the other is one half of my Dual Schmitz MS-20 filter in self resonance, modified by the CGS Wave Multiplier, then passed through the other half of the filter in low pass mode. The Klee is trigger two EGs, each of which is controlling the cutoff of one of the filters (I was too lazy to patch in any VCAs). These two voices are mixed together in my mixer module, the output of which is passed through a digital delay/reverb on to the recorder.

The constant pattern heard is the VCO through 2040 clone filter - it is controlled by the A+B output. The "lead" voice (for want of a better term) is the oscillating filter, which is controlled by the A output. The EM Klee is in 8X2 Random Mode, with Invert B on. This means that the first shift register, A, is set to accept a logic signal at the random input on each clock pulse. No signal is connected to the random input, so once Register A is loaded, after 8 counts, it's emptied out and will not produce any voltage variation until another load pulse is received. Output A is slewed, so it can plainly be heard as it slews up with each load, then it levels off to a constant tone as the pattern runs out, which I add a little vibrato to here and there. As the sample progresses, I vary the time constant of the EG controlling the filter, so at turns the notes are short and long.

The A+B output is generating a mix of this voltage along with the pattern circulating through Register B. The invert B function is on, so Register B will actually cycle a sixteen step pattern. When the load pulse is received, Register B also resets. Because it's not slewed, it's a clean step back to it's original pattern. I pull the same EG time constant stunt with it.

Towards the end of the sample, I mix in just a touch of DSC2000, which is controlled by the A+B output - I slew it up in frequency and fade it out.

The digital delay adds a bit of backbeat to it, other than that it's all Klee, all one take, no overdubbing, the usual.

Cheers,
Scott

Edit: File restored after crash of '07.

emklee_ext_ld.mp3
 Description:
Asynchronously loading pattern with external LFO

Download
 Filename:  emklee_ext_ld.mp3
 Filesize:  1.91 MB
 Downloaded:  1327 Time(s)

Last edited by Scott Stites on Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very romantic Scott. Nice! Smile
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Very romantic Scott. Nice! Smile

I 2nd that Very Happy

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
23isgood

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very nice sounds! Oh man, I need a Klee now.
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool Hmmmmmmmm.
sneakthief

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this is like instant Edward Artemiev ( http://www.electroshock.ru/eng/edward/ ) with a touch of Raymond Scott!! i love it.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sneakthief wrote:
this is like instant Edward Artemiev

So will the next project be an optical synthesiser?? Shocked Cool

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the link, Sneakthief - I learn more every day I hang around this forum Very Happy

I hope all who get their Klee's will find it as natural as I do to produce those types of sequences with the Klee - it takes a lot of experimentation and tweaking sometimes to get to that point, but it never seems like work. Most of my Klee recordings come about when I stop tweaking around at a point where something inspiring or compelling begins to form, and I concentrate on how to form it into more of a composition.

This morning I had another task to accomplish, but like a regular simp, I thought I'd give the patch another listen, and got sucked in some more.

I figured while I was at it, I'd record something a bit more expository concerning the effect the relationship between load pulse frequency and clock pulse frequency has on the pattern, and also, more or less, what the process of programming the Klee involves, which often sounds like this kind of stuff. You may notice, on the way through the sample, there are a number of patterns that emerge that may deserve closer examination, but I just move on - I find programming this thing is like walking down a trail that's filled with more forks than path.

This is the same patch as the last sample, and the same pattern. I don't have Voice A slewed, but that's about it for the difference.

Here is a brief description of what's going on:

00:00 thru 00:16 The Klee is in random 8X2 mode with Invert B off, meaning Register A fires off 8 steps then quits (if it isn't reloaded before then) while Register B recycles an 8 bit pattern that gets also gets reloaded with each load pulse. During this period I speed up the clock radically (you hear the pattern turn into one clangorous droning note).

00:17 thru 02:23 I flip the Klee into 16X1 mode - it's already in random, so it's now 16X1 Random. This means that the shift register empties out after 16 clock pulses, unless it's reloaded before then. So now, the triggering firing Voice A+B (the VCO through 2040 clone) no longer is triggered once the shift register runs out. At this point, the shift registers are clocked so fast, they sound like they're generating one note. But now, because between load pulses, the A+B voice is no longer triggered, it sounds like a series of those notes, which are voiced each time the load LFO pulses the load input - thump thump thump. I then reduce the frequency of the clock so the "single note" starts to get enough resolution to reveal it's actually a series of notes.

During this time I manipulate the load pulse frequency and clock frequency, which shows how this relationship can alter how the pattern is perceived.

02:29 thru 02:35 - I disconnect the EG firing the VCO through 2040 from the Gate Bus 3 output, which silences it. Now only the voice controlled by the A output can be heard.

02:36 thru 03:13 - the EG controlling the A+B Voice (the VCO through 2040) is now connected to the master trigger output - it will fire in time with the clock now, regardless. More clock and load frequency manipulation ensues. Towards the end of this segment, I open up the filter, and flip the clock LFO range from high to low with a quick jolt, which creates an instant arpeggio.

03:14 - Recorder says "Disk Full". IE, the end.

Cheers,
Scott

Edit: File restored after crash of '07.

Last edited by Scott Stites on Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, the day EM went down for 18 hours was the Klee thread's birthday. I like to think it was only a coincidence, not karma. Very Happy

I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing this thread has been around a year now, and there's not a Klee in every pot, but things are moving along in the PCB proto department. Boards are already in NY and KS, and are en route to NSW and Bristol. I myself have all the parts save the trimmers, and they should show up Tuesday. My raw panel should appear this week as well. We're shooting for the end of this month/first week of September to have the prototesting done. After that, if things are hunky dory, the main board order will be placed.

I couldn't let the birthday pass without recording something anything. Here's a sample of the Klee breadboard in 8X2 Mode Pattern Mode, with Invert B on driving a single VCO and a resonating Triple Wilson SVVCF through a digital delay, reverb, then through the Dim C. The voice it starts with is the resonating triple filter which is acting as a voice. I then mix in VCO, through 2040 clone filter, then back that out. Then I mix it in again, and the sawtooth from the same VCO through the Late MS-20 Clone.

I back that off, then mix in the single VCO/2040 again.

The triple SVVCF is operate from Output A, which moves through 8 steps, while the VCO is operated from Output B. In 8X2 mode with Invert B on, it moves through 16 steps.

It's not much of a sample, just where the Klee was "at" when I went to record. It's a bit jangly having been fed through the Dim C set on Mode 4.

The Dim C is providing the stereo image.

The Klee, BTW, is running off of +/-12V (been testing that all week).

It's a nice, soothing tune after the ravages EM suffered this weekend. The samples I have planned for tomorrow are not so soothing. Twisted Evil

Cheers,
Scott

klee_birthday.mp3
 Description:
Peaceful Klee

Download
 Filename:  klee_birthday.mp3
 Filesize:  1.69 MB
 Downloaded:  1198 Time(s)

seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it is soothing indeed Very Happy very nice, Scott Exclamation

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
mono-poly

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice demo Scott!
norman phay

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is there a list of panel controls easily reachable? This is a big thread, and I couldn't find one! I've got front panel designer waiting here, want to do a frac panel.
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

actually you'll find such sort of list on page 3 of the documentation. it's divided in potentiometers, jack sockets and switches.
if you are looking for something different just be little be more specific about it so that i may could take care of your needs.

norman phay

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm just after the kind of "standard" array of pots, switches and jacks. Is the documentation you refer to the schemos & krunkus stripboard layout Scott links to on page one of this thread? It's 404-ing if so, I guess it must have been another victim of the server troubles? I'll hold on 'till all the attachments are reuploaded by their kind originators (I'm just in the mood for a bit of messing w/FPD at the moment!)
norman phay

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, I got the rack-format .fpd off your DIY site, Fonik, thanks for uploading that! I'll take a look & list what I see.
fonik

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

forget about my last post. i was a little bit disordered!!! i mixed up this thread with the super controller! so sorry for have been confusing. Embarassed
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Norman,

I'll restore the panel elements doc that got taken out by the server failure - that has all of the basic controls.

Missing still I think is my panel layout, which had an extra input connector. It's not part of the standard board set, but easy to wire in. It takes an external input and applies that to the max pot voltage. If one inputs an audio signal there, for example, one can get dynamic depth modulation on everthing the Klee is controlling with its voltage outputs. A protection diode is required so that any negative signal applied (such as from a bipolar signal) doesn't zap the CD4051 that's doing the switching.

Last night night I recorded two samples of using my LFO to provide a low audio frequency sine wave. I offset positive it in my mixer module so that the full wave could be applied, and apply it I did.

This sample is essentially the same patch as the tame birthday sample, except the Dim C precedes the delay/reverb. It's the same pot settings as well. The pattern and gate bus settings are different. Two sine wave VCOs (controlled by voltage A) are feeding the triple filter, a sine wave is feeding the 2040 filter, and a sawtooth from that same oscillator is still feeding the late 2040 filter. The Klee is in 16X1 mode, Invert B is off.

Towards the end of the sample, I mix in a bit of manually controlled "angry" DSC2000. This was all recorded in one take (no overdubbing).

The external level input can really put the Klee in a different mood - it's a great effect and really adds a lot of versatility (it's good for other things other than FM).

Cheers,
Scott

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I recorded this one about twenty minutes later. It uses the same pot settings and same gate bus settings, but the pattern is different, and the VCO frequencies are a bit different as well.

Cheers,
Scott

fonik

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
Missing still I think is my panel layout, which had an extra input connector. It's not part of the standard board set, but easy to wire in. It takes an external input and applies that to the max pot voltage.

where will this external input have to be connected exactly? i'd thought to connect it to the decoder circuit just instead of the max V in? but what would be the protecting diode for then?

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've got it connected to the 4051 8V position. I've got the voltage there divided differently, so that it only puts 2.2V max on the pot (100K pot, 330K resistor). The voltage goes to the normalling pin on the voltage input jack, then to the top of the pot. When a plug is inserted, it disconnects the voltage to the pot and inserts it's own voltage there. The diode goes from the center tap of the pot, cathode to ground.

If you're putting in a bipolar voltage at this point, the voltage cannot go lower than 0.6 or 0.7V or so below ground - this prevents negative voltage from getting into the CD4051 switch, which is powered from +V and ground (it can handle the diode drop below ground, but not much more). The 100K pot serves to give the input a 100K input impedance.

There are other points the voltage could be inserted, but if it goes into any CMOS (like the CD4066s), you don't want it to go more than a diode drop below ground.

Cheerios,
Scott

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Norman,

I've restored the panel elements doc here:

http://electro-music.com/forum/download.php?id=8655

Cheers,
Scott

norman phay

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great, tons of thanks, Scott. I started trying to lay out a frac panel using 60mm faders, LOL. Imagine how far I got with that!
Luka

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

notice to people who have confirmed orders for the klee

i have 1 board confirmed and realise now i would like 2
if your thinking of dropping out please drop me a pm
i will wish good vibes on the rest of your life if you do
;P
bugbrand

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Norman Phay wrote:
Great, tons of thanks, Scott. I started trying to lay out a frac panel using 60mm faders, LOL. Imagine how far I got with that!

I'm doing it with 45mm faders in Frac format (from Farnell - non-Rhos so the price is alright - Farnell part #698040 - they're clearing these out but think they've still got stock)

I've managed to fit everything in, plus an extra clock circuit.
Only problem/headache is the labeling...

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is another Klee inspired G2 thingie, this one by iPassenger.
Page 24 of 27 [659 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Klee sequencer
Jump to: