electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Thomas Henry's SN76477 Super Controller Module
Page 6 of 10 [232 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 Next

Is there an interest in Super Controller PCBs?
Yes, by all means.
95%
 95%  [ 23 ]
No, it just doesn't cut the mustard, i think.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I don't know. I mean, i... er...
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 24

fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

today i finished the schaeffer frontpanel in my new design i chose for the next cabinet. i did the color-fill by myself using "lacquer stiks" and then mounted all components.
i did all soldering, too. on thursday i will do the wiring and then testing.
as you might notice (especially all who now the details of this circuit) did i not implement the hold function for the LFO on the panel. i just could not imagine ever to use a footswitch or whatever to stop the LFO from running. furthermore take a look at the speed range selector for the LFO: actually the PCB offers the option to use a 3pos switch for selecting the range. using a little jumper one can use a 2pos on-off-on switch for selecting all three ranges, with the off position selecting the fast mode. i wanted to demonstrate that. same applies to the noise range selector, i chose a 3pos though.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fonik, was 'triange' deliberately spelt that way?
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
Dan Lavin

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fonik,

Yea! Excellent job! I really like your switch options for the lfo speed and the noise. I may do the same when I do mine. It seems more convenient to me.
fonik

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:

without the misspelling this frontplate would probably have been perfect ... and frightening. little errors are so likable Wink

Randaleem

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fonik wrote:
v-un-v wrote:

without the misspelling this frontplate would probably have been perfect ... and frightening. little errors are so likable Wink

So true!
In traditional Harpsichord keyboard making; craftsmen would intentionally leave off one of the carved notches between the wide and narrow part of the natural key covers "because only God is perfect".

Randal
fonik

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

documentation uploaded. hope that's sufficient. if not, comment please.
documentation r2

Last edited by fonik on Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Dan Lavin

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fonik,

excellent documentation! I did check the schematic against the last one you sent which was checked against TH's original and am satisfied no corrections are needed. I did not bother to check your parts list, however. PCB layout......I think we both spent a lot of time checking that!
I would say your documentation is complete! Thanks for doing this project!
fonik

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

antman49443 wrote:
Fonik,

excellent documentation! I did check the schematic against the last one you sent which was checked against TH's original and am satisfied no corrections are needed. I did not bother to check your parts list, however. PCB layout......I think we both spent a lot of time checking that!

thank YOU, mr antman!
i just finished, calibrated and tested the SCM using my documentation and guess what? everything works. i found a minor error in the documentation though: P1-P3 a wired up backwards. we can live with that, can't we? i will amend the documentation tomorrow.

while testing the module i found that the external sweep modulation really rocks. much more effect than the internal of the IC. sounds great!
concerning the trigger/gate levels one could tweak some resistor values to bring them to the desired level. hope i will find out tomorrow (or someone else?). now it's time to go to bed here (at least for me)...

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fonik wrote:
antman49443 wrote:
Fonik,

thank YOU, mr antman!

Laughing

yes whoops!! Embarassed

Great stuff Matthias Very Happy

I'm sure all those who don't wish to have bad spelling on the front panel can either change it for themselves, or design their own!

But it's great that you finally sorted out that board Fonik. Nice work mate! Very Happy

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
fonik

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for the laurels, boys.

just updated the documentation.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just for the records Fonik, what's the width of your front panel? Did you also choose 2mm as your thickness, or have you gone for something more substantial?
fonik

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Just for the records Fonik, what's the width of your front panel? Did you also choose 2mm as your thickness, or have you gone for something more substantial?

3U, 24TE (eurorack). i used 1.5mm thickness as for al my eurorack panels. that's enough. IMO for these 3U panels you won't need a thicker aluminium. i don't recognize any bending of the panel, i mean, those little cliff sockets won't stress the panel that much.

i chose eurorack because i use the modular for live performances (people like to see something while listening to your music, more than a laptop, i think).
so weight is a matter, living on the 5the floor without elevator.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fonik wrote:
24TE (eurorack).

24TE? Is that roughly equivalent to 122mm? What does 24TE stand for? We've probably been here before, but is there a site with most of these measurements on. (You would think that 3U= 3 inches,6U; 6", but it doesn't Twisted Evil )

I ask these questions so newbies can find it easier to design their panels (and I also need a refresher too!! Embarassed Laughing )

fonik

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
fonik wrote:
24TE (eurorack).

24TE? Is that roughly equivalent to 122mm? What does 24TE stand for? We've probably been here before, but is there a site with most of these measurements on. (You would think that 3U= 3 inches,6U; 6", but it doesn't Twisted Evil )

I ask these questions so newbies can find it easier to design their panels (and I also need a refresher too!! Embarassed Laughing )

we talk about the eurorack format as used by doepfer, analugue systems or analogue solutions.

the eurorack format describes a system where several modules can fit into a 19'' (width)/3U (height) frame for rack mounting.

one 19'' frame has a width of 84TE (TeilungsEinheiten germ.) or 84HP (Horizontal Pitch).
the height of the frames is measures in HE (HöhenEinheit germ.) or U (Unit).

as you will recognize, i did mix up english and german naming conventions.
the dimensions:
1HE = 1U = 44.45mm = 1.75'' (3U = 133.4mm)
1TE = 1HP = 5.08mm = 0.2'' = 200mil

doepfer offers a nice description with tables and sketches at his site:
mechanical details

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay. I'm just fiddling with FPD at the moment (ie being really naughty and not doing other more important work Rolling Eyes )

24 being a quarter (approx) of a 19" panel? So 4 Super Controllers could fit into a 19" rack? It's all so ruddy confusing, all this mixing of metric and imperial. I so much prefer inches- so much easier to understand, but I get a bollocking for not using BS8888- which is all metric based Evil or Very Mad

Did you know that it was in fact the British who invented the metric system, and not the French as was originally thought?

The f**king British- they have so much to answer for! Evil or Very Mad Laughing

fonik

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

on the other hand it is much more kingly to order a "Hamburger Royal with Cheese" than a "Quarter Pounder", isn't it?
fonik

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oh, i forgot:

using the eurorack format we don't talk any longer in metric or inches, we talk about U/HU and HP/TE...

Randaleem

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:53 am    Post subject:
Subject description: Original post moved to a general panel format Thread in the DIY section
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EDIT: Info's been moved.

http://electro-music.com/forum/post-131789.html#131789

Helps keep this thread on topic and puts the info where many can make use of it if desired.

Randal

Last edited by Randaleem on Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:53 am; edited 4 times in total
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow !! Front panel is a work of art !! I just downloaded the documentation and it looks great also !!! Nicely illustrated .....

Thanks ........ Ordered my two boards today Very Happy Very Happy

Bill
serenechaos

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Are any PCBs still avalable?
If so how can I buy one?
Thanks, Robert
fonik

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

robert wrote:
Are any PCBs still avalable?
If so how can I buy one?

hi robert,

there are still some spare PCBs available. just tell me how many you want. i then will PM you for payment details.

serenechaos

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would like to buy one.
Thanx again,
Robert
bambam

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Love your doco matthias Wink

Is the doco updated in regards to P1 and P3 now or do i still need to reverse from the way it appears in the doco?

Thanks
Brett
fonik

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bambam wrote:
Love your doco matthias Wink

Is the doco updated in regards to P1 and P3 now or do i still need to reverse from the way it appears in the doco?

Thanks
Brett

the current documentation (r2) reflects the latest changes including the right wiring for P1, P2 & P3. should have mentioned that in some kind of changes note.

bambam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks yet again Wink

B
Page 6 of 10 [232 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: