electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Bit Reduction Modulation
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
mother misty

Audio files: 82
G2 patch files: 130

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:55 am    Post subject: Bit Reduction Modulation Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi G2'ers!

I noticed something strange when I was trying to assign the bit-reduction (from the digitizer module) to a morph group.
When you assign bit reduction to a knob and then try to assign the knob to a morph group (from the front panel) it just doesn't seem to work?!
Why is this? First I tought it wasn't possible at all to assign bit-reduction to a morph group Sad But when you go into the editor and try it with right mouse click it works! But the bit-reduction LED's behaves rather strange (the range is only 2 LED's?!)
anyone can explain this?

thanks
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to do ... but

the 'normal' way to do things would be to assign a morph to a module parameter and then assign a panel knob to the morph.

I assume you refer to the quantizer module, and indeed that one's bit depth is morphable but the range is then linited 1 .. off. This must be a bug.

Jan.
triptonizer

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
the range is then linited 1 .. off. This must be a bug.

The morph range reads '1 - off' because Quantization goes from 1, 2 ... 12 bits to Off (=full resolution).

I don't think there's a way to reduce the morph range of parameters with increment buttons, like Quantization or Notches on the PhaserFilter (e.g. if you want the morph only to go from 2 to 4 bits or notches).

@Mother Misty: As to the front panel behavior, can't help you there, I have a rack version.

Funny to see a fellow Gentenaar here salut
mother misty

Audio files: 82
G2 patch files: 130

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for the reply guys!

@ triptonizer: more people from ghent, cooool! Very Happy
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 213
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Welcome to electro-music.com, Triptomizer. welcome

It's great to see two Ghentians link up here. I've met several people from my local area here too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[quote="triptonizerI don't think there's a way to reduce the morph range of parameters with increment buttons, like Quantization or Notches on the PhaserFilter (e.g. if you want the morph only to go from 2 to 4 bits or notches).[/quote]

That's what I initialy thought ... I then tried to do the same thing with the divider module's division ratio because it has the same knob type. It was possible to change the morph range for that one using SHIFT+Click and I therefore assumed it should either :

be not possible at all to morph the bit depth for the quantizer, or :

be possible to change the morph's boundaries for the bit depth

(and hence I considered it to be a bug).

I'll run some consistency checks on this later ... I thought I had finally understood why certain controls look the way they do ...

(I found the up/down controls on certain parameters to be pretty annoying but necessary nevertheless to indicate what could and what could not be done with such a control.)

... maybe not.

Jan.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:

... maybe not.
Jan.

The up/down buttons are not very consistent with respect to being morphable.

Some are not morphable at all, some are only morphable over their full range and others have adjustable bounds.

Neither are they very consistent with respect to controllability, as if the interfaces were made by different programmers.

I'll report it to Clavia, who knows ...

Jan.
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: