electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Reviews, Editorials and Commentary » Commentary and Editorials
Pending Draft Legislation Targeted for Spring 2005
Page 2 of 2 [40 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good point.
One might ask how Robert McNamara and the White House ever managed to overlook the fact that Vietnam had this aquired lifestyle of trying to throw out invaders... like the chinese.. for centuries. The Vietnam war pretty much killed the good spirit created by fighting the evil german and japanese barbarians in World War 2.
But hey.. just tell the kids they are fighting for ... freedom ( Shocked )

And now this.. You are right. This will eventually for sure turn into Big White Christian Man settling into his new colony named Iraq, unless the White House invents gunpowder and some common sense really fast.. taking into consideration that someone already have invented gunpowder I guess there is no reason to expect the omnipotent president and his much beloved administration to fix this any time soon. Hmm.. and you guys have to live in Festung Amerikas. Any members here soon to be drafted?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
beat amateur

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:53 am    Post subject: This is not a draft...I repeat...this is not a draft Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What turns my stomach even further is that this appears to be one step further than a draft...i.e., mandatory service term during ages 18-26. Mandatory! Not a draft.

mosc wrote:
Here's the House's version of the bill:

Universal National Service Act of 2003 (Introduced in House)

HR 163 IH

108th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. R. 163

To provide for the common defense by requiring that all young persons in the United States, including women, perform a period of military service or a period of civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and homeland security, and for other purposes.

Michael Chocholak

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Religion is definitely a giant factor. George ran for president because god told him to. He doesn't go to George Sr for advice because he calls upon a higher father. In the beginning he called the whole jump in Afghanistan & Iraq a "crusade." If you didn't watch The Jesus Factor on Frontline, you can watch it online here. Check it out. I thought the guy was faking it considering his coke & alcohol soaked past, but, unfortunately, it's real.

As far as the draft goes, if things continue as they are it's probably inevitable, political suicide or not. The armed forces just can't keep up with the manpower they currently have at their disposal. Even the critics concede that there will probably be at least a limited draft "for specialized positions, such as health care professionals, linguists and computer programmers." Good article here. I figure they'll start by saying that draftees will only serve in non-combat theaters and in non-combat roles to relieve the pressure on current combat forces to try and cover our interests across the entire globe. But of course once you're in they can do whatever they want with you... as our troops in Iraq scheduled to come home just discovered.

Bottom line though. The real problem is George. And it sounds like he starting to short circuit more & more; Bush's Erratic Behavior Worries White House Aides. Mentions the religious thing again.

May you live in interesting times. Cheers! Shocked

I was seriously tempted to give up everything and go be a farmer or something... - Jack Endino, Seattle record producer
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Trivia: We have had mandatory service in Norway for years. This is kinda soon about to end for good. There is no big risk for invasion these days, unless your omnipotent leader decides that we have weapons of mass destruction. Hmm.. better not tell him about the famous norwegian cheese "gammalost".

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Michael Chocholak

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually I don't have a problem with 'manditory service'. I've probably volunteered way more than two years of my time & energy on all sorts of projects. I have a problem when manditory service entails 'traveling to far off countries, meeting exotic people... and killing them.' Or having them trying to kill 'me'. (although it won't be me, too old for that shit even by god's standards).

And we may not need to invade you anyway. Our man at the top, constantly plauged by the threat of 'enemies' and frustrated by the 'disloyal fucking assholes' that surround him, is always just a step away from the infamous 'football.' 24/7.

I was seriously tempted to give up everything and go be a farmer or something... - Jack Endino, Seattle record producer
beat amateur

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
There is no big risk for invasion these days, unless your omnipotent leader decides that we have weapons of mass destruction. Hmm.. better not tell him about the famous norwegian cheese "gammalost".

How about lutefisk? Being of semi-Norwegian descent from Minnesota (my family name is Nordgaard), I can testify that this is powerful stuff. But can its invention be traced to any one Scandanavian country? Perhaps the Swedes did it first...

Congrats on giving compulsory military service the boot.
Will definitely be keeping my eyes (and nose?) open for some gammalost.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

"lutefisk" can indeed be potent.. but it is not nasty .. in my opinion.. unless you check out the label at the back... Shocked
Hmm.. but a "gravlaks" party in the western parts of Norway can indeed make the dead walk this earth again and .. well.. the food definitively does at least..
Shocked Cool

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nordgaard? That basically means "the farm in the north".. cool.. ( mostly used about some farm in the northern part of a valley or a fjord or whatever..) a typical norwegian name. From where in Norway did they come?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
beat amateur

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:

Hmm.. but a "gravlaks" party in the western parts of Norway can indeed make the dead walk this earth again and .. well.. the food definitively does at least..
Shocked Cool
Laughing

Endless fascinating Norwegian trivia!

Not sure where my ancestors are from exactly, or where my distant relatives in Norway live today. Great-etc. grandfather was a pro figure skater, settled in Northfield, MN and started farming. Go figure.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm... a figure skater? Amazing! What was his name?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
beat amateur

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll have to defer these questions to my grandmother, who is the genealogy expert. Pretty interesting stuff. Don't know his name, but she has a picture of him (late 1800's?) wearing all kinds of medals. He even skated for the king. Might have been something like Severson or Sorenson, but I'm really just guessing.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great... check it out... I imagine it will be easy to trace him.. Very Happy And this story does trigger that little ringmodulator..

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
jkn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Nordgaard? That basically means "the farm in the north".. cool.. ( mostly used about some farm in the northern part of a valley or a fjord or whatever..) a typical norwegian name. From where in Norway did they come?

On a similar note... my last name Northrup generally means "from the north field" (at least from what I was able to dig up many years ago).
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

maybe I had distant Norwegian relatives too: Serafson Question

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm... perhaps you are right! Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Page 2 of 2 [40 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Reviews, Editorials and Commentary » Commentary and Editorials
Jump to: