electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Long Necked Pots
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Thomas Henry

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Long Necked Pots Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey all,

Do any of you know where I can find some long-necked 100k pots, suitable for use inside a Gibson Les Paul? These are ordinary pots, except the threaded bushings are extra long to permit their pushing through the cavity of a guitar. I know where to find 1M and 500k types, for passive electronics, but I want to design and build an active circuit for my git-fiddle and need 100K. I could probably make 10k work as well, if that's easier to find.

And I suppose I'm really pushing it here, but have you ever seen any long-necked dual 100K? (I'd like to make an active pickup blend control, too).

Any ideas?

Thomas Henry
Tim Servo

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Long Necked Pots
Subject description: maybe sorta
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Thomas,

I have run across these (check the 100K audio "mini")
http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/electrical_minipots.htm
Unfortunately, no dual. They DO have a nifty 250K dual concentric for about $12 (fairly reasonable in the land of dual concentric pots).

And these guys have some that LOOK like they might fill the bill (see pg 3), but it might take a call to get the exact length of the bushing.
http://www.tubesandmore.com/cemirror/AES05-014.pdf

Also, if a 3/8" threaded bushing is long enough (probably not), Mouser does have a dual Alpha 100K in a 12mm body.

Tim (and I thought a Long Neck was a beer) Servo
etaoin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How long is long?

These Marshall pots are "extra long", but I'm not sure that's enough.
http://www.banzaieffects.com/Marshall-Pot-100k-lin-16mm-pr-15767.html

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Synchronicity strikes again. I didn't pay much attention to what they looked like, but as I pawed through my brand new Mouser catalog last night, I noticed they had Bourns Guitar Pots. Don't know if that's terribly new for them, but it surprised the hell out of me. I'll see if I can find them on their web site.

Last edited by Scott Stites on Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Found this:

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/631/580.pdf

This gives a good pic of them. 250K and 500K in two different styles. This doesn't look like the page I recall seeing - I'll check the catalog again tonight. Can't go wrong with Bourns, though. That's the brand of multi-turn I had on my sad little keyboard, if you remember, Thomas Very Happy

Thomas Henry

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the leads, guys.

I probably should have been more clear about values. I'm aware of the 250K on-up long-necked pots. Stewart-McDonald has them. These are great for passive guitar electronics, and in fact what I'm using right now. (Big values are needed since the pickups have a fairly high output impedance).

However for best noise performance in my proposed active electronics (the pickups are buffered now), I should probably use 100K on-down. In fact, the filter will probably need 10K.

Most Gibson guitars need 3/4" threaded bushings to get through the wood.

That's a tall order: 3/4" bushing in 10k or 100k values! I wonder if they even exist?

Thomas Henry
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Studs,

I wonder if these would work - the neck seems to be as long as the guitar pots, but the values are more in line with what you're looking for (1K, 5K, 10K and 50K in audio and linear taper). They're available in cermet or conductive plastic (CP would have a longer rotational life). I'm not sure if the shaft size would accomodate the project?

http://www.bourns.com/pdfs/50.pdf

The Mouser Catalog page is here:

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/631/581.pdf

Cheerios,
Scott

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And they can handle 30G of shock, which I think is more than the average whiskey bottle can deliver.....
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: