electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » OSX as a music workstation
Amusing Apple Vista-bashing vid
Page 3 of 5 [111 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A lot of this gets down to compromises between ease of use and flexibility. The bad engineering of Apple and Microsoft are more the result of economics than stupidity. For example, why have Mac or windows applications that run with X11? Then you could use them with any desktop. Dale has it with that iPhone story. An iPhone that could run winamp would not be in Apple's best interest, but it would be in their customers'.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:

On windows machines, iTunes will move your files around, not just keep virtual copies in a DB. Watch out. Don't let it build a so-called library. But why talk about iTunes, it's not part of the OS. It is a commercial parasitic application in the tradition of Microsoft.

Have you read the documentation and unchecked "consolidate library"?

I dunno how smart the wintel version of iTunes is but the OS X version works like it should. Anyways, you have the conslidated library concept and you can turn this off if you like and you choose between the copy or move options for the mediafiles. The best config is consolidated turned on and you choose copy. All files outside the enclosing folder you have chosen as your iTunes media library will be copied there. This makes perfect sense. When you make meta data changes in the MP3 files, then each file will be tagged accordingly. As such, the library will contain all significant info inside the file system and inside the files. The xml db file mainly handles playback states, as in "most popular shit" and a full backup of info tags in the mp3 files and file paths.
iTunes now also handles gracefully if your terabyte RAID containing all the music files isn´t online at the moment. It will then default back on a temp basis to the user/music/itunes folder and you can manually reconsolidate whatever later on when the volume is back online. This actually works quite well when syncing iPods from your laptop when you have left the terabyte RAID at home.

Howard, I see you disagree with Kassen here. You do not like to sort files and Kassen does.

From a file integrity point of view, making a distinction between master or source files and the media library is good practice. This works the same way as you would handle your RAW files. First you copy the lot from your memory cards, either the lot goes into your main file server set up for this purpose or into a temp "incoming" directory. Then you move the copies into your library manager /AMA and do the processing there. The source files wil then be backed up, burned to DVDs or whatever.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr

Last edited by elektro80 on Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://developer.apple.com/opensource/tools/X11.html

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Acoustic Interloper

Audio files: 89

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
It's really open too, Dale. After you have read to your hearts content, call Carla on the phone and talk to her. Also, if you want to borrow my Kymx X book, come on over, and don't forget your banjo.

BTW, a SC or ChucK interface to Kyma would be quite possible, but it would take a lot of time and energy.

Hi, Howard. Hope you have been able to catch up on your sleep sleeping Quite a week! I've had a day like that recently, although fortuntely all my important stuff was backed up on a USB drive that this machine I am typing into won't recognize. Happily, my son's OSX machine will talk to the USB drive, so he could burn me DVD copies of my backups before he goes off to college. Ain't it fun?

Bought & am reading the Kyma X book and my mouth is watering. Also Carla & I exchanged emails. Only real hesitations are that my $work may be heading onto rocky ground (again), and I have at least one project in mind where I want to distribute code to people who don't have Kyma. I could do it in two environments, but then time becomes an issue. Time is always an issue, isn't it?

I'll definitely be over after I get a music machine back in working order. We have two kids'-college trips coming up in September, and relatives (from Florida!) first half of October. Also, I am thinking of doing a 15 minute staging of initial work in progress at a Godfrey's open mic, maybe October, http://www.godfreydaniels.org/months/2007Oct/2007Oct.html . It'll give me a chance to alpha test the staging issues with a patient sound system crew. I'll send you a note when I converge on a date for Godfrey's, and if you're interested, I'll bring along an extra bottle of wine and some extra glasses I always appreciate some experienced ears and brains Very Happy

By the way, Godfrey's open mic just opened a MySpace account at http://www.myspace.com/gdopenmic . I haven't been there since January, but they seem to be promoting this more than they were for a while, had a contest for open mic performers at Musicfest & do recordings for radio sometimes. It's the usual open mic mix of whoever shows up, but the audience is attentive, little background noise, and the sound crew is patient, so it'll be a good place to try out these string experiments. My Cheltenham '06 MIDI guitar stuff went over there pretty well shortly after EM06.

dewdrop_world

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
mosc wrote:

On windows machines, iTunes will move your files around, not just keep virtual copies in a DB. Watch out. Don't let it build a so-called library. But why talk about iTunes, it's not part of the OS. It is a commercial parasitic application in the tradition of Microsoft.

Have you read the documentation and unchecked "consolidate library"?

<snarky rant>

That qualifies as one of the (relatively) uninformed criticisms of Apple software that drive me batty. "Apple does this" but nowhere is there a mention of the option to turn it off if you don't want it.

But then, I guess if Apple's marketing is to be believed, then no one should ever have to crack a manual or open up application preferences to look around. It should read your mind and do things the way you want without any configuration at all!

</snarky rant>

James

itunes-organized.gif
 Description:
How to stop iTunes from copying your music files.
 Filesize:  73.63 KB
 Viewed:  201 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

itunes-organized.gif

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

James, thx for the screenshot. Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Copying is one thing, but moving is something else. It did that to me. It took a long time to fix. I want my files where I put them. Sure, there is an option to say - don't touch my files, but this is like saying "I stole your car because you didn't say you didn't want me to." This is opt out system destruction.

Actually, iTunes is fine if you never run it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, then this is about reading the docs and nothing else. Laughing

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
"I stole your car because you didn't say you didn't want me to." This is opt out system destruction.

Ah, it's so much easier to program than to think it through, no? As with closed vs. open systems, it's strictly short term corporate economics. Employers don't pay people to think, they pay 'em to deliver *something* on a deadline. I remember the last conference call I had to sit in on before my firing, between my newly hired manager and a customer manager. The customer manager seemed completely irrational on the phone, my new boss groveled and promised a delivery *whenever and however often the customer wanted it,* and I kept my mouth shut. I couldn't figure how and why he could grovel so much, and promise things that he couldn't possibly deliver with any kind of quality. That requires vision and planning.

The next day I found out that the customer called my boss' management and got him in trouble for not groveling enough! So, in some short term political sense my hunch was wrong (especially considering the fact that I got shitcanned shortly thereafter), but that project is garbage and is dying the slow, agonzing death of that employer in general (they just sold another big piece of the local operation off to another buyer this week, by the way; more 'layoffs' coming no doubt).

Strip mines for the workers' souls. hanged alien alien behead crucified dalek

Quote:

Yeah, that's me. No iTunes, no cell phone, seldom leave tbe house except for a daily walk or run. Wine cabinet's in good shape, though And plenty of banjos and guitars close at hand Exclamation

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Acoustic Interloper wrote:
Which segues into my next question: Why don't we see machine/RTOS (real-time operating system) configurations tricked out for substantial embedded application domains such as music?

I thought BeOS was a very good idea... The answer as to "why we don't see it" is likely a combination of lazyness and inertia in the industry....

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Copying is one thing, but moving is something else. It did that to me. It took a long time to fix. I want my files where I put them. Sure, there is an option to say - don't touch my files, but this is like saying "I stole your car because you didn't say you didn't want me to." This is opt out system destruction.

Yes, I agree. I don't want my settings changed and I don't want my files moved. Probably *I* can find moved files back but there is no guarantee that those files are there for me as a person; they might be files that belong to a program that in turn works for me, maybe I never touch those myself, maybe the whole computer is rarely operated manually.

If I tunes were to start rearanging all the music files on my laptop that would be a utter disaster. There could be any number of files named "bassline-1" there or "drum break" and the one thing that makes those usable is their location which will be a dir named after a composition.

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dewdrop_world wrote:

That qualifies as one of the (relatively) uninformed criticisms of Apple software that drive me batty. "Apple does this" but nowhere is there a mention of the option to turn it off if you don't want it.

Yes and no. With OSX being a *nix Itunes could be put in some sort of user-group that has very limited permissions with regard to reading and writing files.

Doing that for all sub-programs would be a tremendous task and I don't realy think that's mine to do.

Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
I thought BeOS was a very good idea... The answer as to "why we don't see it" is likely a combination of lazyness and inertia in the industry....

From the first line of BeOS History from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BeOS
Quote:
Initially designed to run on AT&T Hobbit-based hardware, BeOS was later modified to run on PowerPC-based processors: first Be's own systems . . .

Jeez, the last supportive manager I had in Bell Labs was the guy with responsibility for productizing the Hobbit chip Shocked Little did I know Exclamation The OS was not done in Bell Labs, and I declined an offer to work on Hobbit because that was mostly simulation model writing, but he and I wound up working together on a DSP toolset that I architected, some time after AT&T dumped Hobbit. Ahead of its time one more time. This guy called me the 'spiritual leader' of his dept. when I got my last big promotion in 2000. (I played mandolin at the party because his guitar-playing boss couldn't track my occasional slips into 5/4 time on the frailed banjo technique I was using at the time.) My wife was very encouraging after the promotion party, but I told her on the way home, "That could turn 180 tomorrow." It took 2 years to turn 90 and another 4 to turn the remaining 90, but it sure did turn compress

Thanks for the reference!

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
If I tunes were to start rearanging all the music files on my laptop that would be a utter disaster. There could be any number of files named "bassline-1" there or "drum break" and the one thing that makes those usable is their location which will be a dir named after a composition.

You must tell it to do that. That said, who would want to scan the computer for audio files and add the lot to the iTunes library? Obviously iTunes is not intended for managing your DAW related audio projects. There are other tools for that.

Learn the apps, customize the settings to suit your needs and then make sense of the workflow.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jeez, the last supportive manager I had at Bell Labs was the guy with responsibility for productizing the Hobbit chip Shocked

Was that Bob S. by any chance?

I used to work with Apple also. They were developing something called FDDI-2. We made the chips for it because we were big in the FDDI chips at the time. FDDI-2 was much more ambitious than FDDI though. It should have had a different name. It was pretty cool because it had isochronous and asynchronous in the same protocol. It was designed to support multi-media. In those days they used the slogan, "Everyman is a multi-media author". That was in the late 80s. We visited Apple Labs a lot. It was pretty cool at the time. There was a big Steinway in the Apple HQ lobby. I played it a lot during visits. Gotta hand that to them, they wanted symbols of quality all around the campus - Steinway was for that. Lots of nice art and sculpture too.

Sun's HQ is totally soulless by comparison.

Last edited by mosc on Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
dewdrop_world

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:

I'm with elektro80 here. Putting your files in iTunes is a manual operation. If you won't want it to touch DAW files, don't drag them into iTunes.

It's Windows Media Player, not iTunes, that asks if you want to search the hard drive for audio files.

And that's exactly what I'm talking about, by an uninformed criticism -- rumors and hearsay. mosc says "iTunes moves files" and doesn't say that you as the user have to do something rather silly and impractical to have it move everything around, then kassen gets going about hypothetical utter disasters.

Relax, folks. All I'm asking is that people just look around and get their facts straight before shooting off their mouths. This is a Web forum, of course, and not a newspaper so complete fact checking is not called for (and patience, and gentle correction, are helpful when things are misstated). But at this point, the factual inaccuracies being bandied about are so pervasive from some individuals that I'm starting to suspect prejudice, rather than rational disagreement.

It's okay to be prejudiced too, but I don't feel obligated to take opinions motivated by prejudice seriously. (In which case, why am I spending time on this thread? Joke's on me, I guess... Laughing )

James

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dewdrop_world wrote:

And that's exactly what I'm talking about, by an uninformed criticism -- rumors and hearsay. mosc says "iTunes moves files" and doesn't say that you as the user have to do something rather silly and impractical to have it move everything around, then kassen gets going about hypothetical utter disasters.

Rumors and hearsay are indirect unsubstantiated commentaries, and the terms are pejorative. I was relating a personal experience; neither rumor or hearsay.

It is incredible. I understand how it could seem incredulous or imaginary.

Please consider these two possibilities: it was a bug, now repaired, in a very early release; and I am committed to integrity.

It may not sound right, but it could still be true.

Peace

Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:

Jeez, the last supportive manager I had at Bell Labs was the guy with responsibility for productizing the Hobbit chip Shocked

Was that Bob S. by any chance?

Yep. We had up to about 40 total software engineers, support staff and managers doing DSP tools, and probably that many field engineers writing custom extensions in the field using Tcl. There were three classes of extensibility in those tools -- write extensions in an extension language (normally Tcl, although Python was an option in progress), write new primitives in C++ (simulation models mostly written this way), and use hooks in the C++ models to chain out to extension language extensions that *looked* like they were in the underlying primitives. Basically you could frame and flesh out parts of the system, in the field, at different levels of abstraction using interpreted scripts or optimized compiled code or a combination. The outside OS vendors loved us because they could run our tools from home on their embedded hardware at work, long before this was common capability for embedded systems. Heck, we got a call from a field engineer in England in 1997 shortly after we fielded the first production version of the tools, and debugged his hardware across the Atlantic without anything like this ever being a 'use case.' We just wanted an open ended, extensible, fun-to-use set of tools. That project was a labor of love.

I remember the day in spring, 2002, when the hammer came down on all our heads. The fate of the tools was tied to a chip done with Motorola that anyone could have seen was going to be a ClusterF-k of a design. When the chip fell, we went down with it.

I can remember describing to a room full of engineers, the first Tibetan sand painting I ever saw. Linda & our young kids and I had gone to see it almost every day during its two week creation, and on the less attended days the monks would let the kids try the tools and also draw them beautiful cats & dogs with a sweep of their hands. The very large mandala grew and grew. When we arrived on the final day, I knew what would happen, but the kids didn't. The hall was packed, so I held 3 year old Jeremy above the crowd so he could see. Chanting & music commenced, and I can remember the last monk very carefully, very slowly and attentively, put the very finishing touches on the sand painting. And the moment that the very last grain of sand joined the painting, he took the ceremonial dagger, cut across the face of the painting, whereupon the monks all picked up brooms and swept the highly organized, multicolor painting into a grey-brown heap in the center of the table. I kept one eye on the monks and the other on Jeremy, and the split second that they trashed the painting, his mouth fell open and it looked like his chin would hit the floor.

One of the junior engineers, a Chinese Ph.D. in chemistry who learned programming on an Apple II but wasn't permitted by her govt. to pursue CS as a major, asked if I meant, "What really matters is the art?" I replied, "No, just impermanence."

Thinking about this all this evening, it's funny how threads of that time still weave into the fabric. Here, for example. Also, the CTO who is contracting me was a Bell Labs engineer who fell in love with those tools, left when Lucent decided not productize his DSP design, and after a brief return to IBM research, started a DSP company in 2001, and called me the day I was sacked last year. He had backed me up on 12 string guitar at a 'rebellion party' when I left the Microelectronics Division for the summer of 1998. Sometimes it feels like chapters in a Tolkien story, except instead of Elves we're a bunch of musicians/engineers trying to keep a thread going across a series of mishaps, missteps, and occasional triumphs. There is clearly something more important than the commercial crap, more important than music-as-product and software-as-product, that needs continued nurturing.

I'd love to get the time to work on good tools for this stuff. You're right, it looks like Carla has done a termendous job with those Kyma tools. There has to be a way to shift more technological weight towards creative endeavors in this culture, away from passive consumerism.

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:

It is incredible. I understand how it could seem incredulous or imaginary.

Please consider these two possibilities: it was a bug, now repaired, in a very early release; and I am committed to integrity.

It may not sound right, but it could still be true.

Peace

Frankly, I wouldn´t completely overlook the possibility that your iTunes app ( version number?? ) might have presented its "Do you want to iTunes to organize your music files in your home folder" dialogue and the OK button was clicked, or that this version did that anyway using the really uncool options as default. I haven´t seen that happen myself, but clearly you have described a experience iTunes is capable of delivering if the wrong mix of options is set in the prefs panel. That being said, it seems that it is more or less standard fare that helpful consumer oriented applications on Windows are supposed to default to rape and pillage.. and some of those really helpful agents you gotta run are mindless. It seems that the term user friendly really means that "a dead user is pretty friendly to the computer".

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jeez, the last supportive manager I had in Bell Labs was the guy with responsibility for productizing the Hobbit chip Shocked Little did I know Exclamation The OS was not done in Bell Labs, and I declined an offer to work on Hobbit because that was mostly simulation model writing, but he and I wound up working together on a DSP toolset that I architected, some time after AT&T dumped Hobbit. Ahead of its time one more time. This guy called me the 'spiritual leader' of his dept. when I got my last big promotion in 2000. (I played mandolin at the party because his guitar-playing boss couldn't track my occasional slips into 5/4 time on the frailed banjo technique I was using at the time.) My wife was very encouraging after the promotion party, but I told her on the way home, "That could turn 180 tomorrow." It took 2 years to turn 90 and another 4 to turn the remaining 90, but it sure did turn compress

You worked at that? Wow! That's quite impressive indeed.

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dewdrop_world wrote:

It's Windows Media Player, not iTunes, that asks if you want to search the hard drive for audio files.

Well, I don't like WMP any more then Itunes....

Quote:

Relax, folks. All I'm asking is that people just look around and get their facts straight before shooting off their mouths. This is a Web forum, of course, and not a newspaper so complete fact checking is not called for (and patience, and gentle correction, are helpful when things are misstated). But at this point, the factual inaccuracies being bandied about are so pervasive from some individuals that I'm starting to suspect prejudice, rather than rational disagreement.

That's fair, I realise your position.... But I'd like you to considder mine. I need to have a laptop and my laptop still needs to run some commercial audio programs as well as be compattible with pro-level soundcards. Because of Vista (and where it's heading) and because I can't afford to buy a new laptop every year I'm basically forced to buy a Apple as my next laptop. Hence; I'm now very interested in and concerend about what Apple is doing.

Perhaps Mosc's case was a unique one, perhaps something went wrong there, but a friend of mine uses a Mac and whenever I was over at her place and wanted to play a CD this would mean Itunes automatically starting and "importing" the CD. The Mac was only a Imac G3 so this would make the whole computer unresponsive for up to half a hour.... And after that I wouldn't be able to just have it play back the CD's music, at least not easily for reasons that are utterly beyond me. I'm sure there are ways around all of this and I'm sure those are all easy to accomplish and much preferable but this has left me with extremely bad asociations with Itunes. Another thing is that the Itunes site keeps telling me that I should upgrade my desktop to Windows XP and so Mosc's story as well as my own hypothetical scenario sound to me like events that would be entirely consistent with my experience with Itunes.

So; every time Itunes is mentioned I get this odd feeling that's kinda like getting a dentist drill in my skull while a baby is crying in my ear or something.

For all I know the Itunes interface is the best way to deal with files in the history of file-management but my asociations with it are just very bad, too bad for casual usage, at least.

Quote:

It's okay to be prejudiced too, but I don't feel obligated to take opinions motivated by prejudice seriously. (In which case, why am I spending time on this thread? Joke's on me, I guess... Laughing )

I don't know why any of us are here... A.I.'s story was cool, at least. I don't know why the whole movie was posted and I don't know why Apple made a movie showing how much OSX looks like Vista (or Vista looks like OSX).

Somehow modern computing makes me feel like I'm a Jewish ballet-dancer dropped of in a encampment of neo-nazi skinheads, at least on the level of feeling that these things aren't build with me in mind, that I'm not welcome and would perhaps do well to leave.

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
but a friend of mine uses a Mac and whenever I was over at her place and wanted to play a CD this would mean Itunes automatically starting and "importing" the CD. The Mac was only a Imac G3 so this would make the whole computer unresponsive for up to half a hour.... And after that I wouldn't be able to just have it play back the CD's music, at least not easily for reasons that are utterly beyond me.

OK, this is something that has to do with settings and not with OS X or iTunes as such. Same problem as with the "fucking up my disk issue".

Novices will end up with enduring whatever it seems like the computer thinks is todays menu. Laughing Sad
Too bad it isn´t communicated in a meaningful manner how all these settings represent various workflows.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
For all I know the Itunes interface is the best way to deal with files in the history of file-management but my asociations with it are just very bad, too bad for casual usage, at least.

iTunes is OK and it does what it does. Additionally it does what it does pretty well, but obvously you gotta spend some time figuring out what it can really do and why. The why bit is important. A close to random or counterproductive configuration is not what you want.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
Another thing is that the Itunes site keeps telling me that I should upgrade my desktop to Windows XP

Get your ass out of the Itunes Music Store! Laughing

Ok, the itms is a webapplication. No wonder they are telling you to upgrade to an OS which is now 7 years old! Laughing

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:

Get your ass out of the Itunes Music Store! Laughing

Ok, the itms is a webapplication. No wonder they are telling you to upgrade to an OS which is now 7 years old! Laughing

People send me links to it, I think my label is on there.

Anyway, "itms" may be a web application but it's a proprietary one which is just a different name for "made to be as incompattible as possible". Since it only supports two OS's that I don't consider secure enough to put online I have no way to even look what's up there or how it's presented which makes it very hard for me to figure out how I would like to present my own music there.

I don't considder writing a incompatible aplication to be a great achievement, I don't think it says that much about the things it's incompatible with either.

Page 3 of 5 [111 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » OSX as a music workstation
Jump to: