electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Experimental
tribal noodle
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: tribal noodle Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Small noodle (3 variations) resulting from a failed 'golden string' generator. One way to generate this sequence is to keep adding phi (0.61803) and comparing the fractional part with the previous fractional part, if greater then output a 1 else a 0 (I may have got that wrong way around). I assumed I could avoid overflow problems by subtracting 'one' whenever the result was greater than one, without affecting the fractional component but I couldn't get it working. The string looks like this 101101011011010110101101101011..., if anyone has any luck generating it, please let me know.
The generator in this patch multiplies a value by Phi (1.61803) and accumulates the result (discarding 1.00 whenever > 1.0) and doing the compare of previous values.

The only other point of interest is the use of polyphonic mode, where the onset of clocking into each voices 'generator' is delayed proportional to the 'voice no.' of the status module.

Many thanks to Jan for demonstrating that the Percussion Osc is by no means as lame as I thought.

fibgen02.pch2
 Description:
tribal noodle

Download
 Filename:  fibgen02.pch2
 Filesize:  3.82 KB
 Downloaded:  2155 Time(s)

ian-s

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've gotten the 'golden string' generator working, my problem was I use 64 (unity gain) as 'one' but the accumulator seems to saturate, loosing the fractional component. I simply changed the value of 'one' to 32 and the whole thing started churning out that non repeating bit sequence.
It seems most interesting (hypnotic?) when combined with events triggered by the original (regular) clock. Sort of an ever-changing syncopation. Reminds me a lot of Cook Island drumming.

One module I think would be very handy is a DMM, just displays numerically whatever is patched in, 6 decimal places would be plenty.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

g2ian wrote:
One module I think would be very handy is a DMM, just displays numerically whatever is patched in, 6 decimal places would be plenty.

Yes, I agree with you on this. I've sent this in to Clavia as a request myself. It would certainly help when creating patches. It would just be an editor feature. It would probably eat up DSP cycles for not audio result, but it would be worth it.

This is a very interesting patch. The three variations are quite different sounding.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jamos

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 41

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is a very interesting topic, g2ian. I've never had the opportunity to use thing like Fibonacci numbers in music, but they've always intrigued me.. and this "golden string" generator seems like a great little tool. Can't wait to try it out when the G2X arrives.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't want to make a precident of posting mp3 files of all noodles, but here is a recording of this one. It's 45 seconds of each of the three variations. Hope this is OK with Ian...

tribal-noodle.mp3
 Description:
Tribal Noodal

Patch: Ian Sayer
Recording: Howard Moscovitz

Copyright 2004 by Ian Sayer

Download
 Filename:  tribal-noodle.mp3
 Filesize:  3.1 MB
 Downloaded:  2632 Time(s)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: tribal noodle Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

g2ian wrote:
Many thanks to Jan for demonstrating that the Percussion Osc is by no means as lame as I thought.

It just needs a bit of frequency modulation to give it some bite (I often use self modulation at a level of about 59 units), but I see you did so.

It''s a pitty that the resource usage for modules is not as abvious as it was for th NM Classic. I used the PercOsc a lot on the Classic for it's cheapness (DSP wise, and with long decay times it can be used almost as any ordinary oscillator), but it's kind of hard to judge now.

Nice noodle that you made, I think it will be on for a while overhere. Some of the sounds of the first variation remind me a bit of that good old space rock vocals from Hawkwind. not the structure of course :-)

I'm going to have look at what you did with the golden sequence, sounds interesting.

It's funny BTW that you and Howard brought up the 'display module', I had put it on my wishlist for Clavia as well.

Jan.
ian-s

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the feedback. And thank you Howard, for all the work you put into this excellent Forum.
This patch shows a couple of the 'working' golden string generators (the green blocks) in action, with the Cook Island Drumming theme. Auckland has the largest population of 'Pacific Islanders' anywhere in the world, so this sound is instantly familiar to me. I wonder when Fibonacci visited the South Pacific?

rabit.pch2
 Description:
golden string/rabit sequencer

Download
 Filename:  rabit.pch2
 Filesize:  3.01 KB
 Downloaded:  2153 Time(s)

Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Experimental