electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
Will my Nord micro editor work in windows vista ?
Page 1 of 1 [22 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
tokolosh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject:  Will my Nord micro editor work in windows vista ? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Any1 try this already ?
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome tokolosh

Don't know, I read some reports about the G2 editor not working in Vista, this being an USB driver issue. Nothing about the NM Classic synths, they don't use an USB driver ... so maybe ....

I'll move this thread to the NM Classic section, that might work better for getting an answer.

G2DREAM

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeap!I tested it myself!The micro works just fine but the G2 not!
tokolosh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you guys Smile
REwire

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's amazing! A dated editor that only works in WinXP in Win95 Compatibility Mode, works in Vista and a brand new editor does not?
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

REwire wrote:
That's amazing! A dated editor that only works in WinXP in Win95 Compatibility Mode, works in Vista and a brand new editor does not?

Not that odd. MS has to suply a driver for MIDI while Clavia will have to suply a driver for the G2 USB. Guess which one will be signed?

With 20/20 hind-sight; Ethernet would've been a better option....

cappy2112

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

REwire wrote:

Yet another reason to NOT run Vista. (Are there really any reasons to run it at all ?)

There are some potential work-arounds.

Try running an XP virtual machine (Parallels, Virtual Box, VMWare, many others) on Vista. It *may* get your running, until a better solution comes)

Has Clavia committed to anything regarding the G2 editor & Vista??
cappy2112

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
REwire wrote:

With 20/20 hind-sight; Ethernet would've been a better option....

And I would think Ethernet hardware would have been cheaper than USB, and probably easier to develop a driver too (not to mention let you run your computer much further away from the G2).
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cappy2112 wrote:

And I would think Ethernet hardware would have been cheaper than USB, and probably easier to develop a driver too (not to mention let you run your computer much further away from the G2).

Not to mention OSC, colaborative editing, and a huge potential for long-distance controll over instalations, nearly trivial porting....

Oh, well. Perfection is realy quite boring, it's nice to have wishes left :¬)

cappy2112

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[quote="Kassen"]
cappy2112 wrote:

Oh, well. Perfection is realy quite boring, it's nice to have wishes left :¬)

Love that comment!!!!!!! Can I use it for my sig?

(ever thought of working for Clavia?) Smile
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sure, you can have it.

Originally I wanted to write this little rhime that my father used to sing whenever I wanted somrthing not directly available;

"sure, you'd like that, everybody wants it, but it's that desire that keeps us going (literally; keeps us on our feet)"... The problem is that in Dutch it rhimes and I can't get it to rhime in English.

About Clavia; Clavia demands all employers to speak Swedish and is proud to make very traditional instruments. I don't speak Swedish and like to try to develop instruments that aren't so traditional so I don't think that'd work.

DataStream

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Try running an XP virtual machine (Parallels, Virtual Box, VMWare, many others) on Vista. It *may* get your running, until a better solution comes)

i can confirm VMWare 6.0 in vista works for this. I ran a Win2k Virtual Machine and had no problem editing the g2.
G2DREAM

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DataStream wrote:
Quote:

i can confirm VMWare 6.0 in vista works for this. I ran a Win2k Virtual Machine and had no problem editing the g2.

Well it is amazingly working!At last G2 under Vista!
Thanks for the advice!
cappy2112

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

G2DREAM wrote:
DataStream wrote:
Quote:

Well it is amazingly working!At last G2 under Vista!
Thanks for the advice!

Well- it's not really under Vista, even though Vista is running on that computer. The host computer runs Vista, but the virtual machine is running another OS. In most regards, the guest OS (Win2k, in this case) doesn't know it's a guest. But from a performance standpoint, VMWare can be somewhat sluggish. It takes forever to install XP in the VM, whereas in Parallels, it's very fast.

The more memory you can throw at the VM, the better off you are, as long as you don't starve your host OS.

With a VM running on top of Vista it would be interesting to hear how the performance actually is. The good news- is that VMware docs are very good, and there are several things to try to enhance performance. If you're running from a slow drive- or on a laptop, you can put the VM on a faster (external) drive.

It's not a cheap solution, and sometimes VMWare can be quite difficult to get configured.VMware 6 runs about $195, unless you upgraded from a previous version. I missed the cutoff to upgrade by 1 month Sad
But since most of us are dumping $$$ on gear, another $200 or so shouldn't be bad.
DataStream

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I believe that VMPlayer is free and can play back virtual machines.

I have Win2000 and XP install disks and if someone is truly interested I could make a virutal machine for you. Provided that you give me a valid key for your legitimate copy of windows of course Wink
cappy2112

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DataStream wrote:

I have Win2000 and XP install disks and if someone is truly interested I could make a virutal machine for you. Provided that you give me a valid key for your legitimate copy of windows of course Wink

Yes it is, but you can't legally give out a VM with Windows in it, especially since it is tied to a registration number, and in XP, running an install from a differrent machine is likely to not even boot.

If it was a Linux/BSD VM your chances are much better, if your hardware is mainstream. I don't believe the G2 editor runs on Linux or the Mac- does it???
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cappy2112 wrote:
I don't believe the G2 editor runs on Linux or the Mac- does it???

it does on OSX, for sure Very Happy

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yup, the OSX editor is of course a beta and it does have a few bugs. It works though.

That said, I´d love to see a proper rework of the OS X version. Running this off a Mac Mini seems like the perfect solution.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
DataStream

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cappy2112 wrote:
DataStream wrote:

Yes it is, but you can't legally give out a VM with Windows in it, especially since it is tied to a registration number, and in XP, running an install from a differrent machine is likely to not even boot.

In terms of legality are you referring to not being allowed to share VMs your create with VMware workstation or the fact that it contains windows?

If its VmWare legality than I recant my offer, but if its windows I was being serious when I mentioned I would want a licence key for the appropriate version of windows to use during creation of the VM.
cappy2112

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DataStream wrote:

In terms of legality are you referring to not being allowed to share VMs your create with VMware workstation or the fact that it contains windows?

I'm referring to the fact that a proprietary OS (Windows) would be contained in the VM you distributed.

VM's were meant to be shared. Look at all the pre-configured VM's, available for download at VMWare.com.

Just think- you can have someone create a web server for you, without you being a *nix admin (or at least only having minimal admin experience)!

If someone breaks into your server and plants a virus/trojan etc, you can just delete the VM, and copy over a fresh image and launch it. Of course, any files uploaded to the old server will be gone.

If your VM blue-screens, the exception is contained within in the VM, and rarely will affect the host OS. This feature is more prominent on the GSX server product, than on VMware Workstation, because the GSX server runs before the host OS is installed.
However, VM Ware workstation (5.0-5.5) is pretty solid- at least my experiences have been.

I'm no lawyer- not by any stretch, and I've never read any of the EULA's for Windows. It's quite possible that if someone gave you legal reg nums for that OS, you are ok. You will have to check with a lawyer.

Aside from the legal issues, when you install XP on your machine, even outside of the VM, the image is tailored for your hardware. And as of recently, XP has been doing an authentication checks to make sure it is a legal copy. If you made a VM and used a legal reg number on your system, there may be some serious hiccups (technical, moreso than legal) when the user runs the VM on a different machine.

But then again- VMware emulates a very standard (basic and boring) set of hardware, and when you install any OS in the VM, then play the VM on another machine, it's quite likely XP will still see that exact same hardware, because it's all emulated. Given that, it's also quite likely that when XP does it's authentication, it will be using the emulated image, both during the installation and playback, so it just may work!!

All I can say is try it- but you may want to keep your message traffic as such that no legal eyes are turned to electro-music.

.[/quote]
SecretAsianMan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anyone want to speculate if VirtualPC will work as well?

Reason being, I have licenses of VPC and XP via my MSDN membership at work. It's not a great solution but I could build myself a VPC image to edit the G2.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For the NM Classic you don't need virtual PC I think, and G2 issues could maybe better be discussed in the G2 section of this forum Very Happy

So here : http://electro-music.com/forum/post-140112.html#140112

Page 1 of 1 [22 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
Jump to: