electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » OSX as a music workstation
Amusing Apple Vista-bashing vid
Page 5 of 5 [111 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
dewdrop_world

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think it's a separate installer application that's on the CD-ROM, not part of the standard OSX installer package. Sorry you had to waste your time reinstalling OSX Sad

Apple's X11 works quite well. Basically I just use it for GIMP but that in itself is a lifesaver.

hjh

Acoustic Interloper

Audio files: 89

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dewdrop_world wrote:

Does it work with Apple's X11 server? This is an optional install that's distributed on the CD-ROM that came with your machine.

Also, in the interest of expediency, you might try the OSX port of graphviz: http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/

hjh

Hi! This leads to some doubts about whether the CD pair they ship now is the same CD that they used to ship. I'm now in the my third visit into that CD, and what I find are:

1. Install bndled software only -- already did this and it just reinstalled the apps that came on the machine.

2. Install mac OSX & bundle software -- just finished doing that. the only options page I could find gave me the choice of clobber everything on the disk or just doing an upgrade -- I chose the latter -- no X!! options anywhere that I saw.

3. Some uninformative text files.

4. Under Xcode Tools/Packages there is an X11SDK.pkg that I just tried installing. This *does* create /usr/X11R6 and the appropriate subdirectories, but it contains no dynamic libraries (only .a static libraries) and it doesn't contain the needed X11 lib, even in static form. Seemingly incomplete.

I had tried http://www.ryandesign.com/graphviz/ instead of pixelglow because that page said, "It takes some time and effort to build Graphviz on Mac OS X because it requires a number of other software packages which are not already included with Mac OS X. Therefore these binary builds of Graphviz are provided which include all the dependencies and can be installed easily through the Mac OS X installer." Easily Question I hesitate at trying another Mac OSX port if the issue is my machine config, but that may be my only option.

Take care.

Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dewdrop_world wrote:
I think it's a separate installer application that's on the CD-ROM, not part of the standard OSX installer package.
hjh

OOPS! Third time may be the charm. Didn't see the optional installer installer the first two times; there was a hair of space left on the scroll bar. Chalk it up to:

1. Failing eyes Shocked

2. Failing brain cyclops

3. Kid #2 moves out tomorrow cry This one is harder than some people might realize. I was teary a full month before my daughter went to U. New Mexico 3 years ago. I know she'll never be back. I thought I could dodge it until after we moved my son this week, but when I found myself really irritated yesterday, I finally realized what it was.

No error messages from graphviz now! thanks Nothing like a little restful computing to soothe the soul

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Glad to hear you have some success with X11. I know the feeling when the kids move out.

Congratulations on #2. Is that it, or do you have any others?

When the last one goes you have some of the biggest changes in your life to contend with. Not a bad thing, but something to be forewarned about.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Glad to hear you have some success with X11. I know the feeling when the kids move out.

Congratulations on #2. Is that it, or do you have any others?

When the last one goes you have some of the biggest changes in your life to contend with. Not a bad thing, but something to be forewarned about.

Wadda know, they have the Internet here in Canada Exclamation

Lucky boy. Moving into a house with three other young musicians, all friendly and all ready to dig deeper into audio technology. He seems to be settled in this morning. Only catch is a troll for a neighbor who threatened to Linda that he'd call the police on the first bass note that he hears. Apparently some history from last year's students. Just what you are looking forward to after a 10 hour drive + immigration. "The Meanies Hateth Everything That Maketh Music." I guess it's good I warn't there to get into a testosterone match. The boys are pretty creative, and the troll is putting his house up for sale, so it should work out.

Yeah, this is the last kid out, and we are done with homeschool after 21 years. Now we can really start to apply all those Buddhist teachings about impermanence and nonattachment that we started studying when we were their age. His immersion audio program is only 11 months, but who knows what'll happen then. I am collaborating with my daughter on some spoken word processing, and he's doing audio, so there is hope of working together at some point, even if they are far away. Incentive for me to retire at that point Very Happy

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Maybe it's easy for me to talk, I've always known I don't want kids but;

Impermanence may have it's downsides but it's probably nowhere near as bad as permanence.

:¬)

EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
Maybe it's easy for me to talk, I've always known I don't want kids but;

Impermanence may have it's downsides but it's probably nowhere near as bad as permanence.

Some time we have to talk about this over beers or something. probably with my wife present. preferably after we jam or somethng so you don't think I'm a complete ass or something worse.

Impermanence applies to kids too. I have a friend who just had a kid, he's in his 40s and has a 20 something son, he's having a caboose, he's besotted.

i say bleh. he's entitled to screaming pooping potato sacks. I am happy leaving them in the distant past, and I look forward to being a grandparent. All in due time.

I respect someone's wish to not have kids. I also respect the decision to have them. So long as I don't have to deal with the kids.

Home,My Studio,and another view
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmmmm. I meant to express permanence equates to stagnation which I meant to say is bad, especially when the whole point is (hopefully) seeing/helping someone grow up. The same hold for music, IMHO.

Not sure wether this came across but I play a fair amount of (mostly somewhat exotic) instruments and I enjoy a fair amount of (preferably somewhat exotic) beers so I would love to debate this in more depth.

Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Impermanence seems to be more a cyclic, resonant phenomenon than a matter of endings. If condition X holds, not-X will hold later; if not-X, then later X.

There was a time when I was young when I was not afraid of going under water. Then at age 5 when an unattentive older brother left me in a situation where I might have drowned (I took on some water, and panicked, and managed to get myself out), I became terrified of going under water, was never at ease in boats, etc.

About 4 years ago my son became interested in kayaks. Not a promising prospect for me, but the opportunity to spend some time with him before his move out was more important than old fears. Stream kayaking is not as dangerous as serious white water, but after heavy rains, when the streams are flooded, it can become life threatening. We developed a game called 'flood polo,' using a tether ball we found in the flotsam (you can find all kinds of crap on the banks of a flood), where you shoot the ball out and the other guy has to retrieve it, the goal either being to make him miss a good rapid or make him risk a spill. Good fun for the scared-of-water! Never any accidents playing flood polo.

My close call came one time when we were running a moderately flooded creek down a channel where a dam had been removed a month or two before. The channel a mile down the stream was fairly thick with bent trees that had collected there due to the 100+ year lack of flooding caused by the dam's presence. With the dam removed, it will take some years for floods to remove those trees, but that section now floods. We had traversed this section when the dam was intact, but now we had a flood. I heard my son yell and saw him swerve (he has much better eyesight and reactions, so he usually takes the lead in uncertain areas; I take the lead when we enter sections where there are potential adversaries, usually aggresive property owners), but I couldn't see an obstacle. The loud water drowned out his words. A moment later, an underwater branch had rolled my kayak about 110 degrees, and me with it, and the strong current had us both pinned in place.

Moment of truth! As my formerly panicky head was submerged in high pressure water, the only thought to form was, "Oh, shit . . ." No time for more. My legs are pretty strong from running, so I managed to kick my way out of the pinned kayak, with a lot of bruises to the upside leg that hit the kayak. (Kayaks are tight fits!) By the time I got back in the air, my son had alredy beached his kayak and ws about to pull the old man out by the hair if necessary. I made a joke about my "Eskimo roll" (an elegant manuveur where one spins the kayak 360 degrees without falling out, usually on a lake, not in a raging stream current) to let him know that I was OK.

Kids have a way of forcing you to stretch yourself. Even in the screaming baby stages. This one always had trouble going to sleep, so I went through every folk, rock'n'roll and corny country soung I could remember, getting him to sleep. I remember finger picking my first really good acoustic guitar while lying on his floor after midnight, and when I stopped picking, a low resonance hung in the air that was so subtle, I couldn't tell whether I was still hearing the tone in my head or the guitar was still sounding. I slowly placed my hand across the strings, and the resonance stopped. I had never had an instrument that potent before.

Certainly not an advertisement to have kids. I stalled for the first 11 years of marriage, until I could at least finish a master's while working full time. And I don't think I'd have the energy to do it again, although I would without remorse if I had to. It's an amazingly intricate fabric that's being woven, and an especially intricate part of the weaving processing is taking a separate course. Forking a thread in a fabric. Or sporking one, I suppose.

Just like in operating systems, threads join, too. I played baritone ukelele to my father much of his last night on the planet, choosing the uke because its nylon strings wouldn't make a lot of sound in the cardiac ward. Mostly lullabies I learned for my son, and Christmas carols, it now being January. Unlike attempted conversation with seriously ill people, which almost always leads to frustration, the right music almost always works. He hadn't been able to talk or focus his eyes for days, but I could tell from the rhythmic motion in his shoulders that the communiction channel was working. At some point I realized it was about 3 AM in the cardiac ward, and I stopped playing so as not to be a disruption. About 5 minutes later a nurse walked up to me and said, "The lady in the next room says that you don't have to stop playing. She likes to hear the music." Finger picking nylon strings in the 3 AM cardiac ward. I did a few more tunes until exhaustion took over and my sister and I traded places so I could catch an hour of sleep on a waiting room couch.

We are weaving that fabric, making that music all the time. Habit makes us tend not to notice. Impermanence erodes habit. It's quite an operating system we've got here. Even better than OSX Very Happy

EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Acoustic Interloper:

You are explaining so much like how I feel that it hurts. I missed being around for my father's death night, though. I was able to talk to him 4 days before that night, he asked how my gig in Dublin had gone, I told him it went really well, they liked it, and he sighed and whispered that he wished he could have been there. That was as good as I could do as he was in the states and I was, and am, in Forn Parts. Although ask an American and I've gone native. Ask a Brit, they think I'm some ethnic American bastard. It works either way. Also you home schooled, and I am doing the same thing, albeit with only one son. The other one, we fight with the school and threaten to home school him, they take us seriously because they know we're doing it already. It's a balance.

Kassen:

I have about a week of holiday untaken. I need to use it before the end of the year. I could be bored around here, or I could pack up some stuff and go to the Hague with my wife for a few days. Or somewhere else. The hard part would be picking the stuff to take along. It might be fun, if you think about it. if you don't have space, I do, London is ugly in the autumn but we have the cheapest B&B in London, but it's the most exclusive too.

A weekend would work too. Wink I'd make it a long one, the kids are now old enough to leave alone for a weekend...

Home,My Studio,and another view
Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, human DNA hitting the biosphere is a far out combination of score and orchestra. I hope it lasts for a while. Any species that creates great music sometimes can't be all bad.

Have a good vacation. Time for me to go wash down my Thai dinner with some exotic beer.

Page 5 of 5 [111 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » OSX as a music workstation
Jump to: