electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Sequencers
Sequencer for performing Live
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
hjnewcomb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject:  Sequencer for performing Live
Subject description: help me please
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey,

I'm in a band or couple http://www.myspace.com/thetwoenglishteadrinkers

and we are doing electro music and have been asked to perform live by several people.

the problem is we have about 6 instruments between us.

What do you think the easiest way to do this live would be .

play a few instruments and leave the rest running through a laptop.

or get like a hardware sequencer i put some tracks on that.

I have a EMac that we use to produce the music on and an Ibook that we could use for performing live i think it has OSx on but tis my dads so i shall check.

any wise comments would be nicely excepted thanks again.

Henry.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome

I listened to your tracks. Sounds like your arangements are pretty tight. Good stuff...

If you have an OSX machine, that might be the best way to go. I think it's best not to buy stuff unless you really know you need it.

What are you using now to produce your music? You must have some kind of sequencer to produce these mixes, eh? Why not continue to use it?

At any rate, playing vocals and a live instrument or two to backing tracks on the laptop will probably be the simplest way to get going. Lots of people are doing this. Using something like Abelton Live would be nice because you can easilly jump around in your arrangements - repeat solos - choruses - bridges - etc - with the push of a button.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
hjnewcomb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks,

but shame to say i am using garageband.. Sad

i will try and get ableton thanks sounds good.

i need to go now i have an interview for an art course..

thanks again

H
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You could, of course, use GarageBand for your backing tracks quite effectively. Why not go with what you have and know? If there is something you want it to do that is beyond its capabilities, then find a tool that does what you need.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There is Ableton Live. It does a lot of good stuff, but is mainly controlled by one person (the one with the mouse).

If you chose to go other ways i/e h/w, then the way to go is the Yamaha RS7000 h/w groove sequencer. It's pattern based with x0x editing mixing and muting (so 2 people can control it at once), with sampling and it is flexible, you can import MID files and it has 2 midi outs to control external gear -- and most importantly, it takes less power (energy) from this earth than a laptop. It has more blinky lights than a laptop.

It HAS a learning curve. Not too bad, but it is not a Nord G2 Smile
/Dasz
hjnewcomb

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:03 am    Post subject: cheers.. but. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cheers

looks like a wiked machine.

only i need to be controlling it and im in a bit of money problemos atm so it'll have to wait jst buying a electronic drum kit full size 8 pads secoind hand wih sequencer on board..

so that should sort me out at present

thank alot tho guys

Henry.
Machiavelli

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Miditemp Multistation MSX: Built for live performance
Subject description: Using sequencers in live performance situations

Take a look at the Miditemp Multistation MSX:
http://www.synthax.com/midimsx.html
I've been doing live-performance with sequencers for years. Laptops are great but VERY fragile on the road. I've been using this machine for a while now. It's awesome! I use it in live-performance as my midi master controller, playing back midi files that control my sound modules, digital mixers, light controllers, and the internal soundfont sample player; 8 audio tracks with special efx, etc., and the song-lyrics (karaoke style) appear on LCD video monitors for my lead-singer. It's very sturdy and stable (never had a crash yet) and the touch-screen remote control makes it very easy to operate.
1U rackmountable Midi sequencer / Midi file player, Midi file recorder, Digital audio player, Digital audio recorder, MP3 player, JPEG player, Dual soundfont synthesizer, Midi matrix 8 in / 8 out (master controller), Midi processor, with touch screen remote control (2nd optional), Lyrics on remote control screen or TV/monitor, footswitch control, floppy drive, 120 GB hard drive, CD-Rom drive, SmartMedia card slot, USB, etc, etc, etc.
The Multistation MSX would be your best bet.
jens.luehmann

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Stage Tracker 1.0 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,
here is another interesting live-sequencer.
Stage Tracker at www.stagetracker.com
It´s brilliant!

jens
hedswell

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Stage Tracker 1.0 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jens.luehmann wrote:
Hi,
here is another interesting live-sequencer.
Stage Tracker at www.stagetracker.com
It´s brilliant!

jens

This won't play the demo on my laptop Question Exclamation

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Why not continue using Garageband for now? Very Happy

An altenative is playing the songs off midi and use inexpensive older midi synths for some of the sounds? Then you play along to this?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Dayflight

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:47 am    Post subject:  Sequencer
Subject description: Live Performance

Hi,
look under Genoqs Octopus for a fine Hardware Sequence for Studio and Live work.

[editor's note: see this topic http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-20197.html --mosc]
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Sequencer
Subject description: Live Performance

Dayflight wrote:
Hi,
look under Genoqs Octopus for a fine Hardware Sequence for Studio and Live work.

hjnewcomb wrote:
im in a bit of money problemos atm

Dieter
I don't think he's gonna choose the Octopus

Wink

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
tobaggo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's on PC but you have Usine at www.sensomusic.com
very interesting outsider...
ark

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A well-designed, inexpensive sequencer (with editing capabilities that include audio tracks) that I've used on a number of occasions is Midi Maestro, midimaestro.com
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Sequencers
Jump to: