electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Nord Modular-can the PSU be switched from 110 to 220 volts?
Page 1 of 1 [21 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:11 pm    Post subject: Nord Modular-can the PSU be switched from 110 to 220 volts? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nord Modular-can the PSU be switched from 110 to 220 volts... Very Happy Shocked Question

I will soon receive a Nord Modular from the US. The unit is wired for 110 volts of course, but I imagine the smart guys at Clavia has designed it so that I can move a jumper or two.. and have the unit operate on 220 volt.

Am I wrong?

Guys?
Question

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Nord Modular-can the PSU be switched from 110 to 220 vol Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:

Am I wrong?

Not much, it needs a bit of soldering, see http://nm-archives.electro-music.com/010_NordModular/018_FAQ/ for details.

NOTE! Don't forget to change the fuse after the conversion!

Jan.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great! This seems to be easy... no problems at all.. The only thing which is bugging me right now is that this unit was originally sold and used in the US. And the way this text is written, one might fear that exports for the US could possibly be made differently. I guess I will find out when I open the box.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Did you buy it on eBay Question

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nope.. you could say it found me with some help from friends. Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Nope.. you could say it found me with some help from friends. Very Happy

you adopted it Very Happy

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy Idea

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
And the way this text is written, one might fear that exports for the US could possibly be made differently. I guess I will find out when I open the box.

You read too well, have faith :-)

Jan.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Faith? Shocked Confused
I can do that! Now I have faith! Very Happy Easy! Cool

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I played two "European NMs" on my trip in September. I couldn't tell any difference. Of course, it did take some time getting used to the different power plug. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Those power plugs can be tricky Laughing

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK... the Nord Modulat US 110V version is here.

It seems to me that the Clavia packaging shows that the Clavia Nord Modular was shpped in either 110v or 220v versions. So.. this means that the diagram in the faq showing probably is correct. The faq refers to a UK 100v version.. but I thing it actually is the same also exported to the US.
I havenĀ“t opened the nord yet.. but I will.. So.. some soldering.. and then a new fuse and powerplug/cable.. and then the synth is ready for use..? Hmm..

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

OK.. I see the plave where I have to do the soldering.. no problem.

But.. the transformer in this NM I have here does say it is a Tradania 9824, and it is for 115V 50-60hz. Which means that.. well.. the very transformer in this unit is probably NOT the same as in the "continental european version". Any idea how I can get in contact with Clavia? I have tried sending some mails, but I have not received any answer yet. Any service manuals for the US export veriosn and the "continental european version" online somewhere?? I can fix whatever.. but I will have to know for sure which parts are in here and what to do.

HELP!!!!!! Shocked

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
HELP!!!!!!

Hmm, funny things you reported, guess I've been to shure of things ...

OK, maybe unscrew the PSU board and have a look at how exactly the traces run, or maybe post some pictures of both component and solder side over here to try remote help ...

The transformer seemed pretty standard to me maybe it could be exchanged, maybe even by asking Clavia for a replacement.

Jan.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Since I do not have the schematics and the service manual and that kind of info I decided against doing some reverse engineering. The fact that the transformer has 115V stamped on the casing.. .. ... you know.. then this evidently is a US model.. which differes from the european version. I bought a 230-115 stepdown transfomer and solved the problem. the cute little red thing is noodling away right now. Excellent!

However.. it would be interesting to have this properly documented.. and added to the faq.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
I bought a 230-115 stepdown transfomer and solved the problem. the cute little red thing is noodling away right now. Excellent!.

Good !

elektro80 wrote:
However.. it would be interesting to have this properly documented.. and added to the faq.

In the 'old days' when the FAQ was at the ZEVV site Wout Blommers was doing FAQ maintainance, don't know what was agreed between Wout and Howard as to who does what right now.

What I do know is that Wout is pretty busy organizing the upcoming NM days in the Hague. I think I saw Wout somewhere listed as a member of this forum, but didn't see him participate actively.

I'll send him a mail refering this thread.

Jan.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wout is still The Man on the NM Archives site, but like you say, he's swamped until the NM event is over.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK.. this is why I did not trust the faq and the answers from Clavia:

NM-115V.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  66.19 KB
 Viewed:  21593 Time(s)

NM-115V.jpg

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The picture suggests the transformer has two 115 Volt windings/coils and ffour 6 Volt windings, just as the transformer in my NM (although mine has a different brand).

This means to me that the directions in the FAQ also apply to your NM.

I wanted to attach a picture to this, but unfortunately that didn't work (something with FTP settings that I should check it mumbled before throwing everything away).

Jan.

trafo.jpg
 Description:
EU NM transformer
 Filesize:  29.78 KB
 Viewed:  21567 Time(s)

trafo.jpg

Last edited by blue hell on Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That makes sense, Jan. Sometimes manufacturers change part suppliers with no impact on the products quality. I understand Elektro80's concern, however. Nobody want to smoke a NM.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well.. I remember that Ferrograph reel to reel recorder I had. I got one additional.. identical.. even the casing on the transformer showed that it was a 220V model.. but.. ...
at least I now have a stepdown transformer and a red little monster in working condition.. Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Page 1 of 1 [21 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: