electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
An1x and A6
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
nickelodeus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:14 am    Post subject: An1x and A6 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello Folks!

Does anyone happen to have an AN1x as well as an Andromeda? Its a great synth and I used to use one in the band before I got the A6.

Because my knowledge of prgramming is a bit limited, when I got the A6, I went throught the presets and found rough replacements for the sounds that I used from the An1x. However, they are not quite the same and there are some elements of the sounds that I love and are missing from the A6 versions because I don't know how to re-create these elements.

Can anyone help me?

nic
sunny pedaal

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the an1x is a nice synth , however to make the A6 sound like a an1 is work for monks, if even it could be done. best thing i guess is to keep both.
fr.gr. sunny
(when you get the hand of the A6 , and feel up to making some good an1 patch , please upload it )
nickelodeus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Sunny!!

No, its ok.....I don't want the A6 to sound like the An1x, they are very different synths with very different characters. There are just certain details of the sounds on the An1x that I know the A6 can do, I can hear them but I do not know enough about synthesis to know what I am hearing.....so I don't know what knobs to turn on the A6!

Thanks
nic Very Happy
hackbox

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nickelodeus wrote:
Hey Sunny!!

No, its ok.....I don't want the A6 to sound like the An1x, they are very different synths with very different characters. There are just certain details of the sounds on the An1x that I know the A6 can do, I can hear them but I do not know enough about synthesis to know what I am hearing.....so I don't know what knobs to turn on the A6!

Thanks
nic Very Happy

Don't blame your lack of skills with synthesis.
the AN1X is a tricky bastard.
A great sounding tricky bastard, but a tricky bastard none the less.
I miss the sound of mine, but don't miss the flimsy build.

But if you want to learn what you hear, try this http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm
I found it really helpful, still do!
Digest in chunks or you'll forget your own name.

http://theawesomepowerofrockets.blogspot.com
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hackbox wrote:

I miss the sound of mine, but don't miss the flimsy build.

I'll second that.

The AN1x had a wonderfully lush sound, but could also sound very agressive. There was nothing else to touch the sound of it. However it was quite a crippled machine because its interface was so badly made. Its knobs were a pig to control- they were really jumpy and had none of the pizazz that say Clavia's instruments had. It also did note stealing and it's 'bi-timbral' function left a lot to be desired- ie it never seemed to work properly, however, two voices could be played simultaneously (ala CS80!). Its casing and keyboard too had a really plasticky feeling to them. A shame because the AN1x could be described as a poor man's Yamaha CS80- it sounded very similar. It even had a feedback control for sending everything back through the filter, which allowed thunderous bass sounds- am I really mean thunderous!! Twisted Evil

One thing though, before getting too carried away, the envelopes weren't very good, not very musical- compared to the DX range for eg. They also 'clicked' a lot. Try turning up the attack, the click remained. A design feature- as some car manufacturers say??

If you've been offered an AN1x, buy it. Because despite these few down falls, the AN1x had a gorgeous, dreamy quality unmatched on any other synth I've heard. If the CS80 was the little brother of the GX-1, then the AN1x was the GX-1 (or CS80)'s little digital sister! Cool

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
hackbox

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't recall the EG being clicky unless I wanted it to.
Also I had the desktop version for a while and prefer the keyboards sound.
Initially I thought the interface was nasty, but then got into it and preferred to edit that way rather than the PC editor.

Was a tough learning curve as it was my first hardware synth and the first one I made my own sounds on.

I'm a month away from getting the Andromeda and plan on zeroing all the presets. I do that with every synth I buy, I an't be using someone elses sounds now can I?

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hackbox wrote:

Now that is interesting. Was there a difference? I never owned the desktop version.

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
hackbox

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
hackbox wrote:

Now that is interesting. Was there a difference? I never owned the desktop version.

Biggest difference was the polyphony was halved so the unison sounded nowhere near as big. Wasn't bad per se but wasn't quite to my taste.
the fx section was crippled and sounded radically different.
I didn't think the original AN1X housed a great fx unit but it really was part of the character of the synth.

According to some article I read by someone on the Dev team the AN1X was modelled on one of the Prophets(10 maybe?) The PLGAN board in the AN200 was supposed to be a refined version but to me it sounded like they chipped off the things I liked.

The filter stepping could be avoided if you pushed the knob in before turning. Of course this limited your range of sweep as it was more of a fine adjustment.

The tutorials in the manual were great for actually learning synthesis techniques.

Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Jump to: