electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
What is this effect ?
Page 1 of 2 [27 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
MaximReality

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: What is this effect ?
Subject description: (I can`t get answer for years)
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello.

I`m Marcin from Poland. From many years I`m fan of The Prodigy, and from many years I want to get answeer for my simple question Smile

What is the name of the instrument, or some kind of effect unit, that gives this WOW or distortion effect on main sample ? What could it be Shocked

Sample : http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=6rH-zQkjqeU

Thanks !
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I´m not hearing this too well on these laptop speakers..anyways:

You are thinking of that whank wank wankwank wank thingie that keeps strutting its stuff in the background there?

It sounds like they changed the sound at the end into a snotty sloppy snarelike sample.. at the start this a sample ( didgeridoo ? ) or something that has a tad reverb.. possibly before the filter.. then a filter with some envelope control possibly and then it has been brickwalled by a limiter. The brickwalling makes it change appearance some and the filter treatment isn´t that evident unless you know what to listen for. There are actually several ways to get a close approximation of this sound. The rythm sounds a bit sloppy.. trigggered by pads? later on it sounds sequenced. At the start there is some less than pleasing overlaps that doesn´t quite sound that tight. Keep in mind that this is probably made with some groovebox ( Roland ? ) and it might as wel be a preset for all I know.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It sure sounds like a didgeridoo. This sounds like a live recording so the PA might be adding some shit here. I dunno for sure about the rythm here. It could be pattern-gated through a filter or something - live- or off a laptop or something. There is however nothing remarkably unique about this one. It´s simply just a whank wank wankwank wank Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
MaximReality

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, but I`m really curious what instrument might make sound like this. And I`m not 100% sure is it recorded on pattern before, or is it played live.
BTW the samples of tunes that I added in first youtube video, come from live gig of The Prodigy. Liam (guy that plays it live) used this only in live sets. You can`t find this kind of effect on CD.

Here is second sample when you can hear the same sound. It`s louder on first sample of this vid :

http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=dkiUCrMo8Ys

List of equipment that Liam use (maybe it will help)

http://www.theprodigy.info/equipment/

Thanks for help and for the answer elektro80 Very Happy
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Try googling for : didgeridoo sample CD

You will get a product search result at the top somewhere.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
MaximReality

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

But didgeridoo isn`t electronic instrument, right ?
Prodigy don`t use that kind of instrument. I typed it on youtube, and it`s a wood pipe Laughing

But maybe you don`t know what I mean. I`m not interested in main sample from first link. I want to know what kind of effect unitmakes that distortion that comes few seconds after main sample. It starts at 00:03 in first link.

Last edited by MaximReality on Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tibetan bells and whales aren´t electronic instruments either. Very Happy

Anyways, he is simply playing samples. There is nothing more to it.
I do however suspect that several of the guys here might know more about this specific gear. I mostly use synths or electric/acoustic instruments and take it from there.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
MaximReality

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No its not just a sample. He generates this sounds. Cause in first file I put the same moment of song from 4 or 5 gigs. On every gig it sounds difrent. I think that it`s some kind of distortion effect placed on a sample, or just played by keys Surprised
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK.. no .. I don´t get that distortion you are talking about. I don´t hear that one I guess.

Generates the sound? Well, yes. he controls which samples are used, maybe he adds some grunts and stuff himself, controls filters and such.
As for variations, one way to do this is to layer lotsa long loops, brickwall these so that the level is even and seriously loud, then trigger manually or sequence patterns that open and close the lot. You can mix the various loops with faders and stuff too.. and there you have lotsa variations on the theme.. right out of the box.

As for the effects on the didgeridoo, it sounds like he is feeding it through some filters and then compressing/brickwalling it. He might be kidding around with overloading some channels and thus adding some distortion too. There seems to be some growling in there in the didgeridoo as well.
Again, there is really nothing special about this even though it is quite effective on stage.

You can get the same results using content from some of those didgeridoo CDs and dumping the lot into Ableton Live. You can then use a midi control surface like the Behringer for controlling stuff.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You are however asking the wrong question.
He is not relying on one specific effect. It sounds to me he varies the sounds, the effects and more each time he plays this. The only constant is the whank wank wankwank wank rythm and .. yes.. and there are some new age style samples in there at any time.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a sample of some Tibetan monks chanting, that sounds suspiciously just like that too, if it's not a didgeridoo, which i also have a sample of.

I agree with Stein, it's odds on a sample.

Home,My Studio,and another view
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yup, sounds just about right.
Didgeridoo, monks, foreskins, whales, growls. - all samples.

I´d love to tell you that Liam was using a Korg Prodigy Wank machine.. preset 11, bank B.. Sad Sorry

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Peake

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds like a loop with synth, drums, etc. Sometimes put through a triggered wah (BPF?), and little or none on the third example.

If you mean the tak, tak, taktak sound.

Or do you mean the the continuous pulsing sound, the 16th notes? Same sort of thing. The more layers, the more interesting.

Foreskins Razz
MaximReality

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EdisonRex wrote:
I have a sample of some Tibetan monks chanting, that sounds suspiciously just like that too, if it's not a didgeridoo, which i also have a sample of.

May you send me those samples to my email ? maximreality@wp.pl
Thanks.

Peake : I mean that wah wah, or wow effect.

Here I tried to copy it. It doesn`t sound the same, but it is played, not added effetc on a sample.

http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=xP2CU0tbfQI
Adam-V

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I reckon the sound you are referring to is a "wow" type bass sound that you would get from something like a 303 which has been sequenced in such a way as to get it to pulse and throb like it does.

The sound is far more discernible in the studio recording of Poison than the live recordings you are presenting.

Cheers,
Adam-V
EdisonRex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MaximReality wrote:
EdisonRex wrote:

May you send me those samples to my email ? maximreality@wp.pl
Thanks.

Peake : I mean that wah wah, or wow effect.

Here I tried to copy it. It doesn`t sound the same, but it is played, not added effetc on a sample.

http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=xP2CU0tbfQI

Give me time. I do not usually work with the sampler on weekdays. I will find it and send it to you in due time. It is not a sample I expect will attract some record company's ire.

soundwave106

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MaximReality wrote:
Peake : I mean that wah wah, or wow effect. Here I tried to copy it. It doesn`t sound the same, but it is played, not added effetc on a sample.

Listening to the original song, this is a synth sound with a step sequencer controlling the cutoff (resonance is probably fixed). Not sure how to generate the oscillator, it's got a bit of a metallic vibe though (FM?).

I am thinking that this is a Nord Lead sound. Has that vibe for some reason.
Peake

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had guessed (live) processed samples due to two things: the variation between sets, which might imply, if a synth, a non-programmable synth, and two: in one film clip of them playing a song live from that album, there was a stack of ADATs off to the side, playing back the studio tracks. They might not do that every time, however.

Some bassid took the trouble to both catch them with major tape backup, and then showed it twice, IIRC.
MaximReality

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

soundwave106 wrote:
MaximReality wrote:
Peake : I mean that wah wah, or wow effect. Here I tried to copy it. It doesn`t sound the same, but it is played, not added effetc on a sample.

Listening to the original song, this is a synth sound with a step sequencer controlling the cutoff (resonance is probably fixed). Not sure how to generate the oscillator, it's got a bit of a metallic vibe though (FM?).

I am thinking that this is a Nord Lead sound. Has that vibe for some reason.

Here is the main sample, witch is just played from the sampler. (and we are not talking about this sound Smile )

http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=d_cNvSVGRjM

So that effect (wow, wah wah, that you can hear on rest of my vids) is just added to a sample, and live modulated, right ? I mean that this wah wah, is maded by the main sample ( I hope you understand me :p )Liam doesn`t play that wah wah live.

And here I maded video where you can see, where Liam is adding this effect to the sample he is playing right now. I need to find what sound unit is that. Maybe I`ll find it on other gigs, where it will be more visible.

http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxw8tffTImo
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can loop samples. You can play back several loops at the same time.
It is most likely that the didgerdoo/tibetan monks/growling sounds are several loops he mixes at will - then gates this using the pattern offa something - then runs it through the Filtrex or a similar thingie and then brickwalls it with a limiter/compressor. The same wank wank wankwank wank pattern is used for snare sample /or it is a rythm box snare. You can hear he is tweaking the filter in that video snippet of yours. All of this is trivial. You can make this yourself with ease.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

The Sherman is also cool too( in fact: the Sherman is way cool ).

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
MaximReality

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for help guys. Check last video that I posted ... now I try to find what keyboard is it ..... maybe prodigy fans will help me Wink (on prodigy forum)
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MaximReality wrote:
So that effect (wow, wah wah, that you can hear on rest of my vids) is just added to a sample

We call it processing.. this is technically speaking not adding anything - rather it is changing or processing the signal.

Again.. buy some Filtrex and Sherman units and have fun. Buy a some compressors too.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
soundwave106

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Peake wrote:
I had guessed (live) processed samples due to two things: the variation between sets, which might imply, if a synth, a non-programmable synth, and two: in one film clip of them playing a song live from that album, there was a stack of ADATs off to the side, playing back the studio tracks. They might not do that every time, however.

I referred to the original studio recording because honestly it was harder to tell what was going on from the live clips. From the studio recording, I don't think the core sound is samples.

But it does sound like they are using a sample loop (of the studio recording, I think) for live, using filters for a degree of extra manipulation.
MaximReality

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Right ... this is 100% a sample loop. But the the filter is live.
EdisonRex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

here's the monks. This is a rather obscure sample. It was not a factory sample. I think we got it off of a TV broadcast back in the 80s.

TV MONKS 1.wav
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  TV MONKS 1.wav
 Filesize:  223.13 KB
 Downloaded:  1826 Time(s)

Page 1 of 2 [27 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic