electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
Schulte Compact A Phasing
Page 4 of 27 [660 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ..., 25, 26, 27 Next
jhaible

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
jhaible wrote:

Meanwhile, you may listen to this:

WOAH!!!!!!

These sound fucking fantastic!!!!!!!

OH MAN!!!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Thank you.
It's from the track "2nd Loop" from my Dark November CD.
It was one of those rare moments when everything worked like magic, a hand-tapped tempo of a Line 6 Looper running in sync with a free running OB-8 arpeggiator for 10 minutes or so. Completely "live in the studio", without any overdubs.

JH.

"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
tomcat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jürgen, you should offer a set price, pcb + cds Wink

Seriously, for the next pcbs i will add some cds from you to my order! Smile
jhaible

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tomcat wrote:
Jürgen, you should offer a set price, pcb + cds Wink

Seriously, for the next pcbs i will add some cds from you to my order! Smile

Thanks! Actually, I avoid selling the CDs myself since they are available from a web shop. (Follow the link in my sig if you're interested.)

JH.

"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
23isgood

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the demos! It sounds very nice and luscious. Great stuff for sure.
jhaible

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Update

3/4 of the board layout finished. I'll continue working on it tonight.

I'm using serval heatsinks on transistors in TO-220 package (all mounted on the board) instead of the smaller transistors / tiny heatsinks / high wattage resistors that were connected to the unstabilized (pre-regulator) voltage.
(I need to do this, obviously, when I provide +/-15V DC supply as an alternative to 2x 18V AC supply.

Also, there are several options for potentiometers.
You can use 11mm PCB-mounted potentiometers like Alps RK11 series, or you can use connectors with 2.54mm spacing to connect other potentiometers via wires.

I've redesigned everything to work with 50k lin and 50k log potentiometers. (No Megohm values anymore.)

With a 50k log for LFO rate, you have the original "OSC. PERIOD" operation, with highest rate on the ccw end.
With a 50k reverse audio potentiometer, you can make it the other way round. A jumper on the board selects the two options.
Other pot values like 100k can be used with just a little change of other resistor values.

JH.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow JH! 3/4 through already Question Do you not sleep or work?? Shocked

jhaible wrote:

I've redesigned everything to work with 50k lin and 50k log potentiometers. (No Megohm values anymore.)

Why do you think Schulte used Megohm pots in the first place? I'd be interested to know, as there are many quirky parts to this design.

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
jhaible

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:

Why do you think Schulte used Megohm pots in the first place? I'd be interested to know, as there are many quirky parts to this design.

Because it's by far the easiest and most straigt forward way to get long time constants without using huge capacitors and still drawing a lot of current on the fast position.

I'd go for a 2.2M pot, too, but it's hard to get them in the PCB mount 11mm version. But the way I designed it, you get precisely the same behaviour with a smaller pot value (50k) _and_ a smaller capacitor value.
The "secret" is driving the potentiometer not directly from the opamp output, but from a voltage divider. the output impedance of this voltage divider (R2 * R1 / (R2 + R1) ) must have the same value as the resistor that was in series with the original pot, _scaled_ with the ratio of the new pot resistance divided by the old pot resistance. Easy. Smile

JH.

jhaible

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

update

http://www.jhaible.heim.at/compact_clone/compact_clone.html

Design is finished, and mailed to Olimex.

JH.

mono-poly

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
germaniac

Audio files: 7

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Excellent J H! Cool Which LDRs are you recommending?

Regards,
Joe
Peake

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You removed the DC offset?? Don't you know that's THE secret??? Mock outrage! Wink

Sweet stuff, Juergen. Thanks for your attention to detail.
jhaible

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

germaniac wrote:
Which LDRs are you recommending?

Can't recommend anything yet. I need th eboard first, and then I start experiments with various LDRs to see which ones give "the" sound.

JH.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Peake wrote:
Thanks for your attention to detail.

I don't think JH had a choice Rolling Eyes

He would have been lynched by a gang of deranged krautrockers otherwise! Laughing Laughing Laughing

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Peake wrote:
Thanks for your attention to detail.

I don't think JH had a choice Rolling Eyes

He would have been lynched by a gang of deranged krautrockers otherwise! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Hmm.. Shocked I wonder who

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Question Exclamation Question Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
It was one of those rare moments when everything worked like magic, a hand-tapped tempo of a Line 6 Looper running in sync with a free running OB-8 arpeggiator for 10 minutes or so. Completely "live in the studio", without any overdubs.

The laws of the universe must have broken down at that point - I think it's almost a cosmic rule that the best stuff happens while the recorder is off Very Happy

In any event, that piece is utterly beautiful.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
I think it's almost a cosmic rule that the best stuff happens while the recorder is off Very Happy

Laughing Laughing Laughing

That is the story of my entire musical career!!

And what's worse is that it always then seems to go wrong when one turns the recorder on!! Shocked Laughing

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Jurgen have you had a chance to find any suitable LDR's yet?

PS- there's no hurry on my behalf at the moment, as I've got enough on my plate until next May Shocked So no worries if not

Tom

germaniac

Audio files: 7

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For those who haven't heard, J H has been down with an inner ear infection, IIUC.

Anyone know how he's been doing lately?

Regards,
Joe
jhaible

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

germaniac wrote:
For those who haven't heard, J H has been down with an inner ear infection, IIUC.

Anyone know how he's been doing lately?

Regards,
Joe

Quite well, considering the circumstances. Very Happy
Thank God, the virus has only hit my equilibrium system, and not my inner ear, as it did on a colleague at work.

I'll be back to work on monday, and I'll slowly pick up my PCB projects, too.

During my illness, the prototype PCBs for the Compact Clone, the Solina ensemble, and the Frequency Shifter, all arrived, one by one, from Olimex.
My wife even brought one to the hospital, to cheer me up a little. Laughing
It was about the last thing I was interested in, then, though, but I love her for doing this.

Now I'm even looking forward to go back to work - I can't just sit and do nothing for more than a couple of weeks, work-a-holic that I am.
And I'm looking forward to build and to test these PCBs.
I don't know the exact order in which these 3 projects will be available, but I think they will come in rapid succession. The Solina will probably be the first, because it relies on the availability of the TDA 1022 chips.
Speaking of which, I should probably crosspost this to the Solina thread as well.

JH.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

germaniac wrote:

Shocked

Ouch!

It isn't the one going around that makes you super-dizzy? Cos I had this over the summer. Not fun.

Hope you get well soon Jurgen!!

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jhaible wrote:

Thank God, the virus has only hit my equilibrium system, and not my inner ear, as it did on a colleague at work.

During my illness, the prototype PCBs for the Compact Clone, the Solina ensemble, and the Frequency Shifter, all arrived, one by one, from Olimex.

Yes that sounds like the same one!!! LOL! I had 3 blood tests and no one here could work out what the hell was happening!! Damn British NHS doctors! Laughing My wife (AND my Mother too!) even rushed me into hospital when we were on holiday in the Isle of Wight. Plenty of rest was the cure. I still am getting short dizzy episodes now- but fortunately not as many. And there I was thinking it was stress!! Shocked Laughing

jhaible

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
jhaible wrote:

Yes that sounds like the same one!!! LOL! I had 3 blood tests and no one here could work out what the hell was happening!! Damn British NHS doctors! Laughing My wife (AND my Mother too!) even rushed me into hospital when we were on holiday in the Isle of Wight. Plenty of rest was the cure. I still am getting short dizzy episodes now- but fortunately not as many. And there I was thinking it was stress!! Shocked Laughing

Well, first I felt dizzy, and went to bed early.
in the night, I woke up, and threw up.
Thought I had eaten something bad.
Then I noticed I also threw up when my stomach was empty, but I was perfectly ok when I lay down. Standing up, I felt nausea, and two minutes later, the contents of my stomach came up. There was a pattern. Laughing
My wife called the emergency doctor on sunday, and he told me I had Meniere's desease. Which would be quite bad, because it also means loosing your hearing step by step. He also wrote me a prescription for the hospital. One day later, with nothing changed, I agreed to be brought to the hospital. Before I did, I went to the computer, paid my ebay bills, and sent an emergency message to postpone shipping my recently acquired CS-80. (Yes, I'm a proud owner of a CS-80 now, though it's still in Chicago!) Typing these messages, I followed a strict routine: 1 Minute at the computer, 5 minutes laying down - to avoid throwing up.
In the hospital, they made some tests and told me I probably had an infection of the equilibrium system. I got IVs of antibiotics, cortison, pentoxifillin, and some other substances, 10 hours a day, 5 days.
I learned some tricks how to walk again: Stare at a fixpoint, so the brain learns that the information of the good side of the equilibrium system matches to the eyesight, and to gradually ignore the other side.
I really don't know how big the damage is (you can learn to live normally even when one side is totally gone!), but they told me it's normal to feel strange for several weeks. Well, i still feel a little strange, but it gets slightly better from day to day. Smile
The say they will make a thorough test of my equilibrium system in december (!) - so I guess that's the prospect for everything to be okay again.

JH.

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I hope you feel better soon. Meniere's disease sounds like a very real drag. That's the same illness that grounded Alan Shepherd after the first US space flight. Hey, he made it to the moon later on Apollo 14, though, and one simply had to be in extraordinary health to even be considered for any space flight.

That CS-80 has got to be good motivation to get better Very Happy

Take care (seriously),
Scott

jhaible

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
I hope you feel better soon. Meniere's disease sounds like a very real drag.

Oh, I do not have Meniere's ... that was just the (false) diagnosis of the emergency doctor, which frightened me but which I didn't really believe, because it normally comes with low frequeny loss of hearing.
My hearing is quite good, and now just recently tested! Laughing

JH.

Page 4 of 27 [660 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ..., 25, 26, 27 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
Jump to: