electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Links, Schematics for a begginer DIY synth?
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Soundcrafter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Links, Schematics for a begginer DIY synth? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey everyone, I'm new to DIY-ing and I'd like to know if anyone's got a simple synth I could make. I can use schematics or just links, anything you've got would be fantastic.
Usine Karate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Check out the soundlab minisynth on ray wilson's website 'music from outer space', excellent starter (and even if you've made a lot of stuff already!) machine, pcb's available and loads of support, there is a music from outer space forum on electro-music, check it out!
Soundcrafter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jesus, I did. That's quite a beast. I might put it off till I've got a bit more time and money. Thanks, thought!
Randaleem

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Links, Schematics for a begginer DIY synth? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Soundcrafter wrote:
Hey everyone, I'm new to DIY-ing and I'd like to know if anyone's got a simple synth I could make. I can use schematics or just links, anything you've got would be fantastic.

Hi,

First let me say Welcome!

Have a look here: http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/

The site owner is Ray Wilson and there is a forum here at electro-music devoted entirely to his designs. Be sure to have a look there also.His projects are well done, and you can go from raw beginner to expert DIY-er using his designs.

To get started, Look especially at the WSG, SoundLab and the older WP20.

Another place to find answers is near the top of the list in the DIY Forum topic, where Scott Stites has put together a list of nearly every internet resource for Synth DIY. EDIT: It's here: http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-19166.html

Good luck, and we're glad you're here!

Randal[/b]

Last edited by Randaleem on Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Soundcrafter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mm, welcome...warmy Wink

Oops, apologies to the two first posters as I'd only looked at the SoundLab. Thanks for enlightening me, Randaleem!
Randaleem

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Soundcrafter wrote:
Jesus, I did. That's quite a beast. I might put it off till I've got a bit more time and money. Thanks, thought!

If the SoundLab is a bit daunting, have a look at the WSG (Wierd Sound Generator. It is smaller, simpler, and still interesting when you've finished. Plenty of people have gotten their SDIY start with it.

And look at Tom Bug's Bugbrand site for some noize box type circuits that are similarly well suited to a beginner.

Kind regards,

Randal
Soundcrafter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Huh, even the WSG's URL is "YOUR-FIRST-SYNTH"...heh heh. Knowing me I'd probably find a way to pitch-scale it and use it for something semi-melodic. I WILL tweak that thing.

Tim's Bugbrand site? Link? (Sorry for the newbieness Wink)
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.bugbrand.co.uk/
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ray wilsons designs are very well documented, one will learn quite a lot only by reading these documents.
he offers all basic modules you need for a synth.

then i'd recommended ken stones designs (CGS). if you made some progress you will be very happy with his unique designs. low prices for the pcbs and he is very communicative, which makes things easier sometimes.

a breadboard would be a very goog thing as soon as you start to build circuits with no pcb available. it enables you to experiment with components values or even to combine different subcircuits and so on. kind of LEGO for s-diy!?

Randaleem

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you Jan,

I edited the super links thread url into my earlier post as well.

Kind regards,

Randal
Soundcrafter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool. I'll look around.

ONE last newbie question:

Is it possible to build a multi-voice (polyphonic) synth?
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Soundcrafter wrote:
Is it possible to build a multi-voice (polyphonic) synth?

I love ambition Cool

Yes this is possible, one of the hardest parts could be to figure out how you'd want it to work and take trade-offs into consideration.

Basically a poly synth is multiple synths. You don't want to build a synth for every key, so you'll build less and then you will need to allocate voices over the synths for wich a strategy is needed. Also you'll want the synths to have things in common, like tuning, note duration, certain modulations maybe, but also you'll want some differences between the voices. So you have to decide about what sort of control should be able to go where, and how many and what sorts you'd need. You'll want to consider incorporate a micro controller maybe offering all kinds of possibilities, but new challenges as well.

Could be an interesting project to see how far you'd get with a couple of soundlabs and some additional circuitry. Starting with one soundlab and fooling around with it for a good while could give you some ideas of what you'd want a poly synth to be.

Probably it would be a good idea to look at some classic synths as well, see how it as done in the old days - googling on poly synth seems to give a good many hits going into the right direction.

Soundcrafter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I love ambition

Sweet Very Happy . Glad to ambit. =P

So like, perhaps assigning one osc to each note, for 12 oscs total? I could see that happening. I SO want to make, like, an anti-theory-looking synth and stick it in a briefcase. 'Twould be ever so much fun!
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: