electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Discussion » Diversity in electro-music
Vegetarians/Vegans in electro!
Page 2 of 3 [72 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool, thanks!

V-un-V, I drink it *too*, but it's nice with some small potatoes, dark mushrooms and red unions and so on.

deknow

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kassen,
http://www.witgoedvink.nl/witgoedvinkweb/SLOWCOOKERS.htm

and also

http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?p=3283700&sid=e5168046eaf059b983ecdb59c4ccc453

...is a forum. one of the posts (from september) speaks of a shop in the hague that carries them...i'd shoot them an email.

deknow
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

deknow wrote:
(i've been known to eat mustard with a spoon).
Yeah- but you have to admit, American mustard is for WIMPS!! Laughing Try eating a spoonful of Colemans English Mustard- what's that classic Dirty Harry expression? "It'll blow you head clean off"?? Laughing Laughing Laughing
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kidney beans can give you really bad guts if you cook them in a slow cooker. (I'm talking about the dried variety).
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
deknow

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...if by american mustard you mean the bright yellow stuff....i don't touch the stuff. i like my mustard with seeds that pop in my mouth.

Quote:
"It'll blow you head clean off"

...i thought that was mixmaster morris Smile

deknow
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

deknow wrote:

Quote:
"It'll blow you head clean off"

...i thought that was mixmaster morris Smile

deknow

Shocked

MixmasterMorris???????
Shocked

What's mixmaster morris got to do with mustard??

(btw, fyi, I also know mixmastermorris- although I haven't seen him for 10 or so years! Shocked )

deknow

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

re: mixmaster
...we hosted some of the ninja tune folks for dinner when they were in boston for a show (mixmaster, johnas sharp...one or 2 others i can't remember at the moment)...this was also about 10 years ago.

in any case, his "irresistable force" record has a song about some killer hash marbled with opium....one of the lines is "it'l blow your head right off"

re:beans
if you soak them with some nori (seaweed), it supposedly removes some of the gas. i can't say i've done an a/b test with this
http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/svreports/beans_without_gas.pdf
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

deknow wrote:

in any case, his "irresistable force" record has a song about some killer hash marbled with opium....one of the lines is "it'l blow your head right off"

I think you'll find that this is a Dirty Harry sample Idea

Hmm killer hash marbled with opium....It's been a while Rolling Eyes Embarassed

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

deknow wrote:
kassen,
http://www.witgoedvink.nl/witgoedvinkweb/SLOWCOOKERS.htm

Brilliant. To translate the top of the most relevant paragraph; "as one of the few suppliers of crock-pots in the Netherlands...."

If it weren't for you I would've tried simply walking into relevant stores again. Last time I tried that I was looking for a French press. One girl looked confused, then went "so you put batteries in it and then...?"

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

deknow wrote:
...if by american mustard you mean the bright yellow stuff....i don't touch the stuff. i like my mustard with seeds that pop in my mouth.

Yes! Next time i'm in the town where my GF's parents live I'm going to pick up some of that that now gets made by a local brewery. That can't go wrong, they already made excellent smooth dark beer and whiskey (yes, Frisian whiskey, and it's good!).

US-style mustard is like US-style cheese, IMHO.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:

what squeezy?? Shocked Laughing

deknow

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v,
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QK1C38/ref=pd_krex_dmusic_artist/102-7216958-9472105?ie=UTF8&parent=B000QWENXW

...listen to the preview for "nepalese bliss"...it doesn't go far enough to have the "blow your head right off", but you can hear the voice...somehow, i don't think it's dirty harry.

deknow
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Kassen wrote:

what squeezy?? Shocked Laughing

The cheese is like the mustard, spread out on a counter top and left to dry for a few days. I suggest you don't try it if it can be avoided, it's kinda like the cheese with EU Macdonald's burgers, except yet even still worse.

Pancakes for breakfast on the other hand was a good idea.

deknow

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...i haven't had this kind in many years, but i used to love it:
http://www.worldsfoods.com/view.asp?prod_ID=2832

deknow
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

deknow wrote:

...listen to the preview for "nepalese bliss"...it doesn't go far enough to have the "blow your head right off", but you can hear the voice...somehow, i don't think it's dirty harry.

is this what Morris is up to these days? sorry but it's really lame. As for the voice, it could be Clint. Hard to tell. It sounds like Clint to me Shocked

Morris is I must say, a remarkable DJ. One of the best for that kind of music imo.

Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EdisonRex wrote:
Quote:

One more question; Amazon notes you shouldn't use vinegar but to me stew means using some red wine, that should be fine, right?

We use red wine in our stews instead of stock cubes or anything else, there is much less salt in red wine. And it isn't too acidic, I don't think anyway.

Crock Pots, I thought were a Swedish thing, originally. I'll have to go check.

It's not familiar to me, my guess is it doesn't originate from Sweden. The name seems to be trademarked originally by something called "Rival Industries".

/Stefan

deknow

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

....just in case you didn't think the internet knows everything:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/381044/history_of_slow_cooking_and_the_crock.html

deknow
StephenGiles

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah, mustard with a spood - very good, as is dulce de leche!!
deknow

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...there has been at least _one_ vegan treat at e-m the last 2 years...and now, according to fox news, it is a very healthy one:

Boiled Nuts Help Fight Diseases, Study Says
Monday , October 29, 2007

Boiled peanuts have more health benefits that raw, dry or oil-roasted nuts, according to researchers.

Lloyd Walker, chair of Alabama A&M University's Department of Food and Animal Sciences who co-authored the study, said these phytochemicals have antioxidant qualities that protect cells against the risk of degenerative diseases, including cancers, diabetes and heart disease.

"Boiling is a better method of preparing peanuts in order to preserve these phytochemicals," Walker said.

The study will appear in Wednesday's edition of the American Chemical Society's Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. The other co-authors in the study are A&M researchers Yvonne Chukwumah and Martha Verghese, as well as University of Alabama in Huntsville researcher Bernhard Vogler.

Walker said peanuts and other plants use phytochemicals for things such as helping avoid disease and insect attacks.

"These things are not nutrients; at the same time they have health benefits to humans," he told The Birmingham News. "The trick is to keep those health benefits, not to process them out of the foods."

According to Walker, water and heat penetrate the nuts, releasing beneficial chemicals to a certain point. Overcooking the nuts destroys the useful elements.

Alabama is third in the nation in the amount of peanuts produced with a crop valued at more than $67 million last year.

—Associated Press
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Holy Toledo. that's great news. Thanks for posting this!

wow!

For those that don't know, I LOVE boiled peanuts. It's something that is big in the north Florida / south Georgia redneck country where I grew up. This was before Florida became a suburb of New York. I've been preparing them at the electro-music events in Philly for the last three years. The Deknows are big fans of these. I was pleased to introduce boiled peanuts to many people who had never heard of them.

Now that I know this great news, I'll post a how-to prepare boiled peanuts to the Schmooze forum.

Some have suggested that boiled peanuts be the official food of electro-music.com. I have resisted this, but now that they are found to be actually good for you, this requires reconsideration.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mohoyoho

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Make sure Dr. Enuff is the official soft drink of the electro-music events.
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
http://cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck2
http://www.limitedwave.com/subterraneous/
bachus

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mohoyoho wrote:
Make sure Dr. Enuff is the official soft drink of the electro-music events.

Uh ... could you wait till they prove that's good for you? Razz

bbinkovitz

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject:  this year's ruori set: 100% vegan Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

our set this year involves food, audio and video samples of chopping and such. just in case anyone was wondering, everything depicted in our set is vegan.
distro: http://paperisbad.com/
bbinkovitz

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the vegan food at e-m '09 was pretty good, after the confusion died down. it was the first year i'd gotten the meal plan. i dream of that butternut squash... Razz
distro: http://paperisbad.com/
bachus

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As long as there is vegetarian on the line I have a question. I don't like the texture of real brown rice and have stooped to using Uncle Bens (please don't tell any one). Any way the question is: Does using a pressure cooker create a softer rice?

thanks

Page 2 of 3 [72 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Diversity in electro-music
Jump to: