electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
The Thomas Henry Mega Percussive Synthesizer
Page 2 of 31 [761 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 29, 30, 31 Next
goodrevdoc

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow. This is just amazing. Looks like I'm going to have an all TH drum modular. Between the AVD snare and bass, the clangora, the UD-1's and now this? Seems I'll be streetfighting drummers in no time at all!Thomas, as a rural white kid with marginal at best rhythm, I just have to say thanks. Not so sure my upstairs neighbors will echo my gratitude though...
-justin
Thomas Henry

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
Anyway, I'd love a panel that had four of these in it.

I agree. A drum system with four of these to play with (which really wouldn't be all that expensive to build) would literally cover just about every eventuality for percussion work. Of all the drum circuits I've designed, this is the one that really is "CD quality" and ready to push your loudspeakers to their limit. Mostly it's the impact generator, but the ring modulator ain't too shabby either.

Of course, a four-banger would require an insane amount of panel drilling! But given how many dedicated modules such a system replaces (literally dozens) the extra time in the shop would be worth it.

When I tested the unit myself this last summer, I only tried drum voices, and they were very good, if I do say myself. I was amazed at all the non-drum things Scott tried on his demo. I remember when we were hashing ideas around, he kept insisting that this was more than a drum voice, perhaps more of a standalone synth geared toward non-harmonic sounds, and I think he's right. That's why I add the S to MPS.

Thomas Henry
kokoon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

how big will the PCB be? approx?

also, maybe a stripped-down (controlpanel-wise) version could be done, for systems with a stacks of these in the box.

could you estimate how many (if any) controls are not really essential?

but still, amazing machine!!!
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As big as you want the PCB it will be! Hmmmm?

No unessential controls there are!

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:
As big as you want the PCB it will be! Hmmmm?

No unessential controls there are!

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's one for Yoda. This is the MPS being used for - percussion!

I actually recorded this last July 06. It's the sample I dug up that made me pester Thomas to do something with it before I died from keeping my teeth clenched together about it.

It's the MPS being trigged by an LFO, through a delay, me tweaking on it. This should give you a better hint of what I've been crowing about.

Cheers,
Scott

megadrum_test.mp3
 Description:
MPS Banging Away

Download
 Filename:  megadrum_test.mp3
 Filesize:  977.14 KB
 Downloaded:  2431 Time(s)

Dan Lavin

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott,

Loved the demo. Reminds me of a surf song drum track! You know, all toms and no snare. So this thing definitely is capable of less spacey percussion...which is good in my book!
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, I'm trying to get Annette Funicello and Frankie Avalon for the video Very Happy

Quote:
So this thing definitely is capable of less spacey percussion...which is good in my book!

Same here - that's what tripped my trigger about it to begin with - the spaciness of it is just icing on the cake for me.

I can't wait to get back into the metallic percussive portion of it - it can do that kind of stuff you hear at the end of Eno/Byrne's "Jezebel Spirit" as easily as it can do the type of drums in the sample. The architecture of it really enables it to do a lot of things.

Cheers,
Scott

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Once again, wow!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

"You have no right to her!
Her husband is the head of the house!" Cool Very Happy

StephenGiles

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:

I actually recorded this last July 06. It's the sample I dug up that made me pester Thomas to do something with it before I died from keeping my teeth clenched together about it.

It's the MPS being trigged by an LFO, through a delay, me tweaking on it. This should give you a better hint of what I've been crowing about.

Cheers,
Scott

Sheila by Tommy Roe!!
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:

Hmmm,...
Sheila E getting frantic on the timbales I see.

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Do you hear voices? You hear voices then you are possessed.....Shelia E.

I plugged the Klee into a couple of VCOs and the DSC2000, and I thought "Hmmm....this needs something. I know - more cowbell!"

So, I programmed up a cowbell with the MPS, and put it in. Still needs more cowbell, but what doesn't? Very Happy

Anyway, this was done with the Klee controlling everything but my spastic tweaking of the DSC2000's VCO frequency somewhere in the middle, no multi-tracking, no reverb, no eq. A little ways in I bring up the noise on the MPS for effect. The shell CV was plugged into a CV output of the Klee, and I brought that up for a while, then back down - it's apparent as a pitch change in the cowbell voice. I did include some delay for a 30 second span between 2:15 and 2:45 (applied to the whole track in that section).

Cheerio,
Scott

kowbell_klee.mp3
 Description:
More cowbell!

Download
 Filename:  kowbell_klee.mp3
 Filesize:  3.53 MB
 Downloaded:  2007 Time(s)

23isgood

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow! That really sounds like a cowbell. Cool stuff fer sure.
julianw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Scott, nice demo! its almost on par with the Rad Monkey VLC800 digitally modeled cowbell! Wink

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
The Alison Project

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am going to need more than one.
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey JulianW,
Love your avatar, not sure about the gif.
Is that Hicks?

Photon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well,.....
Any kind of electronic device would have to be better than Hicks bashing a real cowbell! Laughing

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ooooh, God, I love that skit. I haven't watched SNL regularly in 15 years, but my brother-in-law always tunes it in when he's visiting. One of those times was when that BOC skit was on. I thought I was going to choke.

Alison P. - yeah, I'm not woofing when I say I'd love to have four of these in a single unit. The nice thing about this voice is you can dial in so many different things, it would be great to have four of them playing at the same time. Heck, you could even have four different cowbells going, which Christopher Walken would probably love......

Actually, four of them, with a nice, fat Clangora sitting in the middle....(sigh).

Cheeerios,
Scott

The Alison Project

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:

Actually, four of them, with a nice, fat Clangora sitting in the middle....(sigh).

Cheeerios,
Scott

Don't forget the UD-1. I took my CGS drum modules out of my modular for room and planned to build a small drum module cabinet.... Now it looks like it will be a big drum module cabinet.

Plans
- CGS Cynare x2
- CGS Dual Drum sim
- CGS Dual Chime sim
- Papareil Coron DS7
- TH Clangora
- TH UD-1
and now
- TH Mega Perc x??

Supposed to be getting an ADV Snare pcb which will be a welcome addition as well.....

Hmmmm maybe my tunes will start having drums in them haha.
Thomas Henry

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I hate premature announcements, but just have to mention that there is currently a team working on this project that goes beyond belief! Expect the unexpected.

You're probably all getting tired of my axioms by now, but here's another that has always guided me, and again it's from Oscar Wilde:

"Nothing succeeds like excess."

Team partner THeff has certainly illustrated this! You won't believe his rapid-fire commitment to the MPS.

(Wonder what I'm talking about? Well, in just a handful of days, he's got the beta test of the MPS up and running already.)

Thomas Henry
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
(Wonder what I'm talking about? Well, in just a handful of days, he's got the beta test of the MPS up and running already.)

Yeah, I'd just typed one of my droney, windy emails to the team, clicked "send", and noticed another message coming through after I'd sent that one. It was from Tim, and the subject was "MPS Perfboard is complete and fully functional". I nearly fell off my chair. I did fall off when I opened it - not only did he have the perfboard done, he had pics of it with a fully completed panel, all in glorious color.

If anyone is familiar with Gary Larson's old "Far Side" cartoon: I'm the caveman chisling on the half finished rock wheel. THeff is the caveman zipping behind me in the convertible full of cavebabes.

Quite literally amazing!

Cheerios,
Scott

Alienation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Do we get to see the pics? Theff is the "man".
goodrevdoc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

+1 to THeff. That gent perfs like the dickens. Does this mean things are moving faster than expected?
-jusitn
Page 2 of 31 [761 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 29, 30, 31 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: