electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Force Sensitive Resistor Controler...will this work?
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
drewskee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:40 am    Post subject:  Force Sensitive Resistor Controler...will this work? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.imagesco.com/sensors/force-sensors.html

I found this link and it "appears" that the 406 square and the little op-am circuit could be used to create a tiny touch sensitive controller that puts out between 0 and +5v.

Can anyone tell if this is as simple as it seems: plug in battery to PCB, plug in FSR, hook red wire to output jack = done?

Would be wonderful if true: 3 of these on a board would be tres' cool!
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think you'd still want to amplify the signal, depends on where it's headed though. If the input impedance was high enough, just the FSR is all you need.

-jk*
drewskee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It would be a "direct inject" cv to a Serge Modular CV Input...
jksuperstar

G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

$6 buys you the right to try it out Smile Smile

I think it'd work fine.
drewskee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, I was thinking I'd get it and the small circuit board at the bottom of the same page to make it work...no? Sorry if I was not clear but it was the pair that I thought would make a nice variable/virtual one axis touch plate.
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wrote to these guys and they sent me a free sample of the flexi-force model. It's a little longer than I'd like and I haven't used it yet-- but he also sent me a bunch of applications circuits-- I'll have to find them, but I'd be happy to e-mail them to anyone.
bugbrand

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm sure any circuitry would be super simple (just amplifying and level shifting I'd guess) and easily breadboard-able.. thus, perhaps, negating the need for the circuitboard (which isn't too expensive, but at several times the price of the resistive elements they add quite a percentage to the project cost)
dave_b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's the same technology used in the DrumKat midi controller. They work really well in that context. From the documentation I've read, they're normally set up as part of a voltage divider.

I'm not sure how finicky they are. I believe the Drum Kat reads the 'idle' resistance at bootup to calibrate itself. Don't quote me on that.
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

After being reminded by this thread of the sample flexiforce I had, I wired it up and tested it attentuating a 15v source; I pretty much assembled the circuit on the web page using 15v instead of 5v. It worked great, I was extremely pleased.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: