electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
G2 Patch load?
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
jamos

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 41

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: G2 Patch load? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm not clear on the meaning of the Patch Load display. Is this per slot, or global?

In other words.. can I have all four slots running at 100%, or must 100% be split between all four slots (25/15/10/50, etc.)?
egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's per slot.
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yes, per slot.

but one slot can use 200% (half of the total) if you fully load the voice and effects area.
gal

G2 patch files: 10

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

100% means 1 dsp is used.
if you use 200% in slot a and 200% in slot b and you don't have the expansion (then you have 4 dsp's), slot c and d cannot be used.

gal
Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's important to understand how the DSP computation loads are handled in the G2.

100% on the editor equals one DSP.

Generally, and logically, computations for a discrete entity (such as a single voice from any patch, or any FX area of a slot) cannot be split up between two DSPs.

So, for example, if either the memory or patch load of the VA (Voice Area) patch shows something above 50%, and the FX section too, this delivers only 3 voices (from an unexpanded G2), since every voice occupies an entire DSP, and the FX too. The rest of DSP power is wasted, so to speak.

Now, if you manage to reduce the FX section loads to the point that it can reside on one DSP together with a voice (voice% and FX% <=100%), you get a fourth voice. If you manage to reduce the voice loads below 50%, zwoop, you get seven. (two on each of 3 DSPs, one + FX on the last)

If you run 4 slots, all with individual voice designs and FX, it can become a truly complex affair to juggle the patch loads in order to get the optimum DSP usage. scratch It may well be that a big patch cannot deliver any more voices and you think your'e done -but if you build a simple little patch in another slot, it may well still be able to provide surprisingly many voices, as they use up the "unused niches" on the DSPs left over by the "monster patch" in the other slot.

Best thing is to get an expanison. I've never seriously hit the ceiling since installing it.

BTW, I think Clavia should change the specs in the G2 presentation. They state 32 voice polyphony for the G2, but that's not quite true. It's 32 voices per slot, meaning that the G2 is actually capable of 128 voices !

I'm seriously thinking of suggesting a "voice overflow" module to the Clavia developers. A module, that, when the slot polyphony is overridden, just sends those MIDI note-ons (and offs) to other slots. 48-voice FM pianos anyone? Wink
jamos

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 41

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the replies. That is deep and interesting info.

I do have an expansion board on order. I haven't yet hot a real problem with polyphony, but can see how I might someday. Hopefiully the board will cure all ills.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

shoshin wrote:
I'm seriously thinking of suggesting a "voice overflow" module to the Clavia developers. A module, that, when the slot polyphony is overridden, just sends those MIDI note-ons (and offs) to other slots. 48-voice FM pianos anyone?

To me this seems to be a very good way to handle the overflow problem, I think you should mention it to Clavia indeed.

It's usefull, the way of implementing it is clear, logical, optional and modular - near perfect I'd think, nice brainwave !

Jan.
Tim Kleinert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, I like the idea too.

The question is if, generally, "voice area" modules can access and manipulate the behaviour of the underlying dynamic voice allocation routine of the slot, as it would be needed in this case.

I personally doubt that, but who knows.

I suggested it to Clavia this morning, posting it on their mozilla comment panel. But I wonder if there is a more efficient way to get in touch with the developers, though. I don't want to hassle them, but sometimes I have good ideas which, as an ex assembler coder, I can put into programming terms quite easily.

Anyway -waiting for 1.2 (like all of you, I guess) Wink

Last edited by Tim Kleinert on Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

shoshin wrote:

The question is if, generally, "voice area" modules can access and manipulate the behaviour of the underlying dynamic voice allocation routine of the slot, as it would be needed in this case.

I personally doubt that, but who knows.

I can't tell for sure either, but there is other seemingly dynamic interaction between the DSP's and the control processor going on as well (for MIDI I/O). The patch compiler knows how many notes are possible, MIDI is going through the control processor anyway, so who knows ... it might require some on-the-fly code generation for the control processor - interesting !

You could try to send Clavia a request to become a beta tester I'd think - others have done so as well but I can't tell whether it would work.

Jan.
Tim Kleinert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm pretty sure it would take an overworking of the voice allocation routine, so that the overflowing voices do not override existing ones, but are processed by the manner described in the module: sending them to slot A-D. But then, following note-offs would also have to be tracked and sent to the other slot. And what about controllers? They would have to be shared too. So it's not as simple as it seems. The best solution probably would be some kind of "slot sharing" idea, where all CCs and note-offs are sent to all shared slots, but the note-ons are only sent to a shared slot when polyphony is overridden on the first, triggering the voice there. Something like that. scratch

Beta tester? I'd love to do that. I'm good at pushing things to the limit until the flaws show out. It's almost obsessive Wink

Who would I need to contact?
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

shoshin wrote:
Beta tester? I'd love to do that. I'm good at pushing things to the limit until the flaws show out. It's almost obsessive

Who would I need to contact?

I'm sorry but I can't help you with that.

Jan.
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: