electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Klee sequencer
KLEE!- all of you who have ordered and the rest to come....
Page 2 of 8 [192 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okee doke! Very Happy

In the meantime, I posted this originally in entirely the wrong thread:

The stuffed board is already spoken for, now Very Happy

Cheers,
Scott

toybox

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If any others become available id like one
Thanks
Daniel

jaidee

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As a new user, prompted to join at least in part by references to the Klee that I've seen elsewhere on the web, I've been trying to work out how to buy a set of Klee boards.

I've seen reference in a number of posts to the boards being on sale in the shop. However, having looked in the shop the shelves seem to be bare (can't see any reference to boards anywhere in the sop).

I've now come across this thread and having following it through, I assume that I've missed out on the first run of boards.

Is this posting sufficient to record my interest in, and get on the waiting list for, the next run?

Is there going to be a next run ??

Any unpdating information or redirection to where I should be looking for more info would be appreciated.
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Jaidee,
the response to the Klee has been amazing, and I think it's got to the stage where promising anything about the chances of someone not claiming their boards would be cruel.
We did a pre-order taking of names, as none of us had the kind of finances to just pay and pray. You probably realise that there are already people on a second list waiting for someone to drop out, so if you want in on that, I'm sure Scott can tack you on the end. It might be a long wait though. Who knows, maybe the secondary list will get long enough for a second run? I wouldn't hold my breath though.
I'd love to say "anyone who wants a set will get one", it is a very nice project, and all profit goes back to electro-music.com, but to keep it real, we gotta keep it real.

Luka

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i am so excited about this

i can see that during this coming summer my tan is going to reduce, from pale white to dead white. i better get crackin and finish my panel designs and order the panel parts

http://www.last.fm/user/prblmchild
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
i can see that during this coming summer my tan is going to reduce, from pale white to dead white.

Kinda like your avatar? Laughing

A second run would be nice. Right now, the standby list is around 8 names or so, so that would make a second run reeeaalllly expensive for a set of boards (the price drops drastically as number of boards is increased).

If there's one thing about this experience I regret, it's the whole reservation thing. Believe me, if I would have had enough money, I would have ordered a couple of hundred sets.

We've never actively advertised the Klee - there's been a little word of mouth here and there, but not a whole lot. Maybe as that grows (as people build), another run could be accomplished at a decent price.

In the meantime, Jaidee, I'll put you on the standby list.

Cheerios,
Scott

vout

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, Like Jaidee and others above, I have come to this list recently, mainly because of interest in the KLEE squencer. I've just ordered a set of parts and am hoping that PCB's will be available again. Please could you add my name to the list just in case!

Thanks, vout
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Gotcha on the list, vout.

Cheers,
Scott

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just got a ring on my door bell. I was in the shower. My dog, Zuzu, came to get me with enthusiastic barking. I jumped out of the shower and put on my bath robe. At the door was the post man with two boxes that required my signature. They were the Klee boards. I gave Zuzu a treat on behalf of all those who are anxiously awaiting their boards.

There is a lot of mass to these things and it cost over $64 to ship them to me from Scott's lab. Maybe we need to adjust the price, I'm not sure.

Attached is a pic of the boards as they sit on our dining room table.

My next activity WRT this project is to buy shipping envelops and some buble wrap. I'll estimate the cost of this packaging and the postage weight. Then I'll post these boards on the store so people can order them. We'll explain how your reservation number can be used then.

I expect this to take maybe two days, so look for an update sometime around Nov 3 or 4. There is always something that comes up unexpectedly of course; sometimes we call this life.

KIee-boards.JPG
 Description:
Klee boards on Mosc's dining room table.
 Filesize:  1.03 MB
 Viewed:  383 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

KIee-boards.JPG

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Whhheewww, they made it!!

Don't worry about adjusting the price, the Klee team considers the postage as a part of the donation. We'd like to keep the price as low as possible because people have been waiting so long, they deserve a break, too. Plus it was worth it knowing Zuzu got her treat....

Now, y'all, be patient with Howard. I'm not saying Howard is or will be slow; I'm saying that he has a mountain of a job in front of him with distribution. It just didn't sink in with me what 240 boards would look like in one lump - it's even larger than my pile of unfinished projects. Very Happy So, I felt bad right away realizing this would be saddling an already busy man with a very large job.

I'm so relieved they made it there, though.

Cheers,
Scott

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, yeah! Forgot to mention - I have not PMed the confirmation numbers yet. I'm going to wait until the store is ready for orders, then I will send them out.

The reason for that is you'll get a notice that you can order right away. I'm thinking some people who ordered don't check the forum all that often, so they'll at least get an email that they have a private message waiting.

After that, it'll be two weeks to allow all who have reserved to purchase. In the notice message I will send out, I'm going to ask that if anyone has decided not to purchase boards, please let me know, and I can then go to the standby list for those.

Cheerios again,
Scott

Photon

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy great news Very Happy
very exciting indeed. Thank you to everyone who has worked so hard on this. I *really* appreciate it. Its been exciting and inspiring to watch people come together and work so hard (for free) to make this a reality. This community really is something special.

quick question. I have a conformation email, but I don't see an actual conformation number. Have those been sent yet?

pete
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nope, the confirmation numbers haven't been sent out, yet. They will be when the shop is setup to accept orders.
mono-poly

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah wave wave wave
The Alison Project

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mono-poly wrote:
yeah wave wave wave

I agree but my guys are all purple.

www.myspace.com/theyakuzacowboys
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott, there seems to be so many people involved with this project, is there a list of those "officially" involved? Yourself, Bill, Uncle K, Mosc for handling the store front...if you have a list, please post it so everyone can get a big personal thank you!
Tronato

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello!

Sign me up for one when available!
Thanks!

TRO
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Will do, Tronato.

Quote:
Yourself, Bill, Uncle K, Mosc for handling the store front...if you have a list, please post it so everyone can get a big personal thank you!

Why soitanly!

The project team (in alphabaletical order):

Tom Bugs (Bugbrand)- Tom contributed a lot of time and energy as a beta tester with the protoboards. He was the representative of the Banana Jack user's consortium, and also tested operation at 12V rails. He and Bill worked out the added hysterisis for the clock and external load comparators. Proofed the schematics.

Tom Fenn (V-un-V) - Conceived of the idea of the project as a benefit for the electro-music forum in an apparent conspiracy formed with Andrew Sharp. Helped to launch the project, then branched out into education and nappies.

William Manganaro (State Machine) - Beta tested the protoboard, tested the production board. Researched, developed and implemented the parts kit, spearheaded and organized measurement tasks on the protoboards, proofed the schematics, created BOMs, worked out the hysterisis details with Tom Bugs. Provided a sizeable financial investment enabling purchase of the protoboards.

Andrew Sharp (Uncle Krunkus) - Designed the PCBs through a zillion changes without batting an eye, created the connector system (which greatly reduced the complexity of the build), proofed and guided the schematics to a form that could be used to create a PCB, beta tested the protoboard.

Scott Stites - Ate popcorn, giggled secretly to himself at all the work everyone else was doing, occasionally sent an email asking what was taking so long, had a plane to catch. Made sure to post often to give the impression he actually had something to do with the project. Pretended to beta test a set of boards. Threatened the project members with dirt he'd gathered on each and every one of them (except Fenn, who escaped). Watched a lot of TV. Made Howard do the rest of the work with some extra juicy dirt from Howard's Buchla days.

All of the team members helped financially in one way or another, and also contributed to making the documentation as accurate as possible.

Distribution:

Howard Moscovitz (mosc)- Saddled with all of the real work of accepting orders and shipping the board sets around the globe. If he knows what's good for him.

There are some additional people, less directly involved, but without whom the Klee wouldn't be the Klee:

Jan Punter (Blue Hell) - Patched the Klee on his G2, which led directly to the addition of the Invert B function. He also steered the design away from using the positive power rail as the reference voltage for the scale voltage.

Ken Stone - The gated comparator served as half the inspiration for trying the whole thing out anyway. The random function, in particular, was inspired by his design, and the comparator circuit all but lifted from him. Well, entirely lifted.

Don Buchla - The Model 266 Source of Uncertainty Quantized Random Voltage function served as the other half of the inspiration.

Romeo Fahl (vtl5c3) - Built the first Shift Register Sequencer design (using Ken's comparator rather than my original, IIRC, which gave me the idea). Dubbed it the "Klee Sequencer", thus naming the project forevermore.

David J. Brown - Directly used the values from his quantizer module in the glide circuits.

Ray Wilson (adhdboy) - His Mickey Mouse Logic paper practically invented the gate bus.

Don Lancaster - The CMOS Cookbook was used extensively as a reference for designing the Model 2 Klee, which evolved into the electro-music Klee Sequencer.

Thomas Henry - His axiom "Never open a can of beans with dynamite" played a huge part in keeping the circuits to a manageable level. He could have designed it with a third of the parts, but it still came out much less lumpy than it would have if the concept hadn't been taken to heart.

Tim Heffield (THeff) - Perfboarded the first (and only known) complete Model 2, which provided both inspiration and information during the development of the electro-music Klee Sequencer PCB set.

Jeff Pontius - The man that got me pointed in the direction, and made it possible through his patient largesse. I wish he was here to patch it.

Hosfelt Electronics - If they hadn't had those CD4034s so damn cheap at the time, I would have never impulse-bought them years before I figured out a use for them.

And, most importantly, everyone here that contributed to the threads, expressed interest, provided support and feedback - without you all, it would have just died on the breadboard. Thanks for supporting the project, and through it, the community itself.

Last edited by Scott Stites on Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm running behind schedule. I went to my local Office Max store and their prices for shipping envelopes and such is way too high. I'm trying to order some on an Ebay store that Bill recommended but my Ebay registration has been suspended for some reason. I'm trying to get that reinstated. Once I figure out what the cost of the packaging will be and the shipping weight, I'll post something on the store so people can order.

I know everyone is anxious for this. I apologize. This isn't the only thing going on in my life at the present time, but I consider it very important. I will do my best to keep you posted.

Thanks.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
frijitz

Audio files: 54

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
II went to my local Office Max store and their prices for shipping envelopes and such is way too high.
Did you check WalMart? Much cheaper than Office xxx for the ones I used.

Very Happy
Evan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
We'd like to keep the price as low as possible because people have been waiting so long, they deserve a break, too.

Well, the exchange rate has moved about 10% during this time in my favour (and probably in most non-US addresses favour), so I'm not complaining...
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll try Wal Mart. Thanks for the suggestion.

The exchange rate is continuing to go South. This economy will eventually be a bigger Bush Blunder than the Iraqi war. Well, at least I'll probably see more visits by my European friends now. Very Happy

shawn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I certainly hope there are some boards left over for those that didn't order. I slept on this one and now I feel sad.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We are all ready to go with the ordering, but there is a somewhat serious bug in the store software resulting from a change at the US Post Office site. I have to upgrade the software that talks to that server to get the international postal rates. It should be fixed sometime tonight, unless life happens. Sorry for the delay but I don't think many people would like to pay $58 to ship the boards. Laughing

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, if you reserved a board set or two, you can now order them on the electro-music.com store.

http://electro-music.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/101

Please read the instructions at the bottom of the page with respect to indicating in the comment part of the order your user name. That is how we are identifying reservations. It says:

All of the boards we now have in stock have been reserved by electro-music.com members. If you have not reserved a delivery of this product, please don't order because we may not be able to fulfill. If you did reserve, please indicate that in the comment text box when you order and be sure to include your electro-music.com user name.. That is how we will track the reservations.

On November 17th, we will open up the order process if there are any unclaimed reservations.

The shipping materials haven't arrived here yet, but I expect them today according to the UPS tracking.

If you have any questions, please post them here.

Last edited by mosc on Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Page 2 of 8 [192 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Klee sequencer
Jump to: