electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Nord Lead and Nord Wave synths
Keys on the Nord Lead
Page 1 of 1 [22 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
fischek

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:18 am    Post subject: Keys on the Nord Lead
Subject description: why smaller
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

anyone has any idea on why the keys on nord are shorter and smaller than the regular ones?
Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Keys on the Nord Lead

fischek wrote:
anyone has any idea on why the keys on nord are shorter and smaller than the regular ones?
Well, it's just a Fatar keyboard... Maybe you should ask why Fatar makes them this way? And Fatar makes about 85% of all the keyboards in the world, so what's regular then?

Wout
fischek

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Keys on the Nord Lead

Wout Blommers wrote:
fischek wrote:
Well, it's just a Fatar keyboard... Maybe you should ask why Fatar makes them this way? And Fatar makes about 85% of all the keyboards in the world, so what's regular then?

Wout

You don't think those are shorter and more shallow then standard keys? Very much different than the keys on Korg TR for example?

I am not even talking about the quality of action, but odd dimensions of the keys. It's not a toy, it's a professional instrument - if the reason is help people play faster, then ok I get it - or if the idea is to make it portable and easier, I can get over that too.

I just need to know the reason cuz I can't understand why would someone make keys like that.
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The dimensions of a single key isn't a factor if an instrument is professional or not, e.g. the (piano)keys of an accordion are much shorter then on the NordLeads and it's surely a professional instrument. What action do you say it's professional?

Anyway, the keyboard is this one, in 49 keys size...
http://www.fatar.com/Pages/TP_7BA.htm
I wanted to change it for the second one on this page Smile
http://www.fatar.com/Pages/TP_8L.htm#
It doesn't fit Sad

Wout
fischek

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think you're missing the point, but ok, whatever - if you're satisfied with your NL keys, good for you.

As for the accordion, I thought we were on the forum discussing synthesizers...we might as well start talking about the action on timpani Laughing
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fischek wrote:
I think you're missing the point, but ok, whatever - if you're satisfied with your NL keys, good for you.

As for the accordion, I thought we were on the forum discussing synthesizers...we might as well start talking about the action on timpani Laughing
No, we are talking keyboards Smile What's a keyboard doing in the first place on a synthesizer? The black and white lay-out is a result of the construction of the old string-driver(hammer) concept. Ergonomic the keyboard is a pest... Bob Moog wasn't in favor adding it to the synth, specially to the MiniMoog!

So, tell me, what's a professional keyboard? The one you know from playing a Steinway concert grand piano? It's subjective as hell Smile I gave the link to Fatar, where the term 'economic' is used. Probably the reason why Clavia choose this keyboard...

Anyway, there are a lit of ways controlling a synth!

Wout
fischek

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the comment - I understand what you're saying. It's just that the instrument as famous and as popular and widely used and professional and whatever as Nord might've had a *better* keyboard.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Nord and this keybed adds to its charm in some bizarre way I can't explain, but I still think it is LOUSY.
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fischek wrote:
Thanks for the comment - I understand what you're saying. It's just that the instrument as famous and as popular and widely used and professional and whatever as Nord might've had a *better* keyboard.
As investigate some years ago the possibility to change the keyboard, but... unfortunately another one doesn't fit in the connections.

Wout
fischek

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

have you seen this http://www.butoba.net/nordlead/nl2weight.html
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fischek wrote:
Yes, I did Smile
When I want a slight heavier keyboard, I the G2X and it's Midi Out connection. The G2 has also its Midi Out modules, which is also very useful to make the Parameter Mutator available to the NordLead2 Smile

Wout
fischek

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wout Blommers wrote:
fischek wrote:
Yes, I did Smile
When I want a slight heavier keyboard, I the G2X and it's Midi Out connection. The G2 has also its Midi Out modules, which is also very useful to make the Parameter Mutator available to the NordLead2 Smile

Wout

ok Wink
Kayvon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Fischek/Wout. Could either of you tell me whether or not the Nord Lead 3 uses the same type of short keys as the 2x? I'm not a fan of short keys and I can't buy a board that uses them.

My main annoyance with them is that when you play with your thumb and little finger on black notes your fingers extend to the back of the keys where it is hard to accurately control dynamics. A solution would obviously be to buy the rack and midi up another board but I want to get my fingers on the Clavia pitch stick!

Thanks for any replies,

Peter.
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, the NL3 has the same length as the NL2, only a different board, with after touch.

I would say: buy the Rack and a Stage and you'll have a combination!

Wout
Kayvon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wout Blommers wrote:
Yes, the NL3 has the same length as the NL2, only a different board, with after touch.

I would say: buy the Rack and a Stage and you'll have a combination!

Wout

Thanks for the reply Wout. That's too bad, I was real close to dropping the £ on a s/h NL3 but i'm gonna reconsider now.

re the Stage, well the Electro's action was great for controlling my Evolver but it just needed pitch/mod and aftertouch. Together with the adjustable velocity curves I think the Stage's action would be almost ideal for controlling synths for me. Plus I could replace a lot of gear with the Stage.

Thanks again for the reply,

Peter.
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Beware...
There are two kinds of keyboards for the Stage: the Stage Compact has the same as the Electro, where the Stage 75 and Stage 88 have a piano action like keyboard. All of them have After Touch, ModWheel and PitchStick!

Wout
Kayvon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Therein lies a whole n'other predicament. Stage Compact for second board or Stage 88 for first board with another synth style controller.

The reason why i'd go for the Compact is because you can get a nice level of velocity response with that waterfall keyboard but still play in the style a synth requires. On the other hand, if it was your main sound source and you wanted to do a piano gig you'd have to take two boards.

I seemed to have derailed the thread here sorry. I may be back to this forum to talk about the Wave when it comes out.

thumb up Thanks for the help.
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kayvon wrote:
... I seemed to have derailed the thread here sorry. I may be back to this forum to talk about the Wave when it comes out.
Which has the same keyboard as the NL3... Shocked

Wout
nordragious

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey

the Nord Lead 2x and Nord Lead 3 does not have the same key... i beleive the Lead 3 key is longer.
Kayvon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm, I need to get my hands on one and see if it'll work for me. Prob is they rarely come up s/h and when they do they're a good distance away from me.

Can anyone else comment on the length of the Nord Lead 3 keys? Maybe even measure them to compare?

Thanks.
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kayvon wrote:
... Can anyone else comment on the length of the Nord Lead 3 keys? Maybe even measure them to compare?
I just did. The length of the NL3 is 5 mm longer then the NL2.

Black 87 - 82
White 138 - 133
All millimeters...

Wout
Kayvon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks alot for taking the time to do that for me Wout.

I'm torn with a couple of synths at the moment i'm trying to find an ideal lead synth to cover lead horn/guitar parts and I need for the keyboard action not to be an extra issue getting in my way.

Thanks again, the NL3 is back in the running!
nordragious

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's some info about the brand new Wave...

http://www.clavia.se/main.asp?tm=Products&clpm=Nord_Wave&clnwm=Information

Page 1 of 1 [22 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Nord Lead and Nord Wave synths
Jump to: