electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Getting a G2, advice needed...
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
spanky

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:55 am    Post subject: Getting a G2, advice needed... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hiya guys and gals. Long, ranting post warning.

First off: Great forum, glad to have found it. Looking forward to joining your community Very Happy A lot of nice people and competence here.

I'm getting some extra money this summer and I have been lusting over a G2 since it was first announced. love

Problem is that I cant really make up my mind witch one to get...
My current set-up is a NL3 and my trusted old Waldorf Q (rack, and a Nord Electro2 73 but that'a a different thing) so the Engine looks like it would fit nicely (I almost never play live and if I do I i have a laptop) but what I'm really wondering is how much of the whole "G2-vibe" I will loose not having the encoders and displays. I love to make little sequences and just tweak away on-the-fly.

I guess I could just assign the knobs of the NL3 to the parameters and, you know, do it that way... Hopefully without it feeling Reaktor'ish (dont like Reaktor, I have tried but I have a hard time getting attached to and invest the time needed into VSTi's).

So I was thinking, maybe I should sell something, the Q for example, and get the 3 octave G2? But I wont get sh*t for it and I know I will miss it... Sell both the NL3 and Q and get a G2X? Would it be worth it?

It's hard for me to answer theese questions and I understand that it's damn near impossible for anybody else to answer them for me but any thoughts would be appreciated. Anybody using their NL3 to tweak the Engine out there?

I guess what I what to hear is somebody to tell me not to worry about it and just get an Engine. Wink

Oh well.

Cheers, Spanky
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi spanky, welcome.

When I bought my NM Classic I faced a similar problem, at that time I bought the key version as I thought it would be nice to be able to play a few notes. It turned out that I didn't use the keyboard very much and the didn't use the knobs either.

So for me it was easy, instead of one G2 key I could buy two G2 engines.

For you the question will be whether you want the full functionality of the knobs, as with the NL3 you already have a nice controller I'd think.

Maybe you should wait a little while to decide what to do. Very soon now the 1.2 software version will appear, it might have better support for externmal controllers.

Maybe you should post a new direct question about the controller support after the new software version is released.

Jan.
egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't know what to tell you, but I hope you will report your experiences back here.

It probably depends on whether you want to do a few fairly simple things, or a lot of different things. A big advantage of having the displays is they tell you what the knobs do. If you always do the same 8 things with the knobs, then you'll remember them.
On my classic NM, I found it easiest to stick with a small number of patches and a fairly consistent set of knob assignments. That's the only way I could remember what the knobs were doing. (I'm talking performance or jam sessions here, in the studio you have time to look them up). The G2 allows me to customize the knob assignments for each patch, having lots of different variations and still be able to figure out what the knobs are doing.
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Spanky

I have the G2 Key; I didn’t have the patience to wait for the engine. Also I have no other midi controller.
As good as the knob UI is, (and invaluable for live performance) I find I don’t use it much when creating patches. I have started using the ‘Patch’ button, which allows you to scroll through the modules on screen with the left, right, up, down buttons. Each module’s controls then appear on the knobs for tweaking. This is good for fine tuning an existing patch (don’t even need the editor running).
Most of the time though, I just use the editor. Don’t worry, its not like reaktor. It is very intuitive and somehow encourages experimentation.
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Very soon now the 1.2 software version will appear

Have you seen this one Question
Update to Nord Modular G2 Software Coming in July

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
spanky

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi guys and thanks for your answers props

I swinged by the local musicstore after work today to really sit down with the G2 hooked up to a PC running the editor. Prior to this I have just kinda twiddled a little with it in another store and I was totaly blown away... Especially the acoustic sounds. And the editor was really intuitive like g2ian said.

Simply put, the G2 sound and interface is a piece of art.
Still I think I'll go for the Engine, that will suit my needs well for now Very Happy
egw
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:

Have you seen this one Question
Update to Nord Modular G2 Software Coming in July

6 new "random" modules
noise oscillators
midi automation

yowza!
Mr_Smok

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i find answer when editor release http://www.sonicstate.com/news/shownews.cfm?newsid=1554.
btw this is my first messge to the list.welcome friends
all pleasure by my side.
egw
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Welcome Smok!
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome, Mr_smok and Spanky.

You have plenty for keyboards, so why do you need the G2X. I say just get a regular G2 and be sure to get the expander. The knobs are too nice not to have, IMHO.

Someday, I may take a band saw to my G2 and remove the keys. What would be nice is an engine with knobs, like the old NM rack.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
spanky

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks guys

¡Ay mama!, a desktop version would be kick-a*s! Probably still a wee bit expensive tho', thoose fancy-pants knobs aint cheap... Confused

What Clavia should do (if you ask me) is to include a sorta G2-master-mode in the next OS update for the NL3. One could get feedback trough the NL3's one dislpay and use the slot buttons to virtually change witch of the four displays to see/edit. I dunno... Something like that... That would suit me juuuust fine.

Quote:
Someday, I may take a band saw to my G2 and remove the keys. What would be nice is an engine with knobs, like the old NM rack.

I suspect that might void the warranty, might wanna check up on that Wink
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

spanky wrote:
I suspect that might void the warranty, might wanna check up on that Wink

No doubt., Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: