electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » OSX as a music workstation
What the.....? Where's the firewall gone?!?
Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:31 am    Post subject: What the.....? Where's the firewall gone?!? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Apparently the new Firewall in Leopard is totally crap Shocked
I've been watching this thread for a while, but things seem to be getting worse

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1214322

http://www.itpro.co.uk/news/135237/leopard-fails-firewall-tests.html

and;

http://www.heise-security.co.uk/articles/98120

What do you guys think of this?

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I mean, Apple don't really do themselves any favours Shocked Shocked
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yup, well.. the new black box firewall is a bit odd. ipfw is still in there though. Why not use ipfw?

I have all my stuff behind standalone hardware FWs so I´m not too concerned. As for how big the real problem is, well.. at least I´d like to see the new firewall app wired a bit differently.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes I think that's standard for most experienced users- I mean you are an IT technician right? I'm more worried about those who aren't. The beauty of the old system is that it was just there and on. Perhaps Apple are now thinking that most people have routers that have the built in Firewall?

more stuff;

http://www.matasano.com/log/986/what-weve-since-learned-about-leopard-security-features/

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Still, you should read those pages again.. in more detail. There are some issues here, but ..

Tom, try this one: Mac Os X 10.5 Firewall =Tofu
Read it and pay attention. You´ll see why I´m too impressed by those other opinions.

Still, I´d like to see the new firewall wired a bit differently and with more pro options and shit.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:

http://www.matasano.com/log/986/what-weve-since-learned-about-leopard-security-features/

Yes.. but hardly problematic. I think Seatbelt ( the sandbox thingie) in OS X is pretty cool. You understood what you read here?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:

Read it and pay attention.

Laughing

That typeface is making me feel physically sick!! Shocked Laughing

But I get the meaning there. Apple have just released a security fix for Quicktime so I would imagine that all these scare stories are unfounded? I suppose I too was a little over impressed also.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
You understood what you read here?

I think so. It relates more to the post that you just sent me?

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What post? PM?

This one?

Female crotch enhancing article
Document Type and Number:
United States Patent 20040154079
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20040154079.html
Shocked

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://padilla.net/osx-10.5_firewall_test

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laughing

No! Not That one OMG!!!!
Shocked Shocked Shocked Laughing

the last one up there ^^^

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
http://padilla.net/osx-10.5_firewall_test

Quote:
I do think, however, that this offers some interesting data to counter the previous 'tests' and that anyone with a bit of network security knowledge can see that the situation is not nearly as dire as that painted by the other reviewer.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I read about this on Slashdot a few days ago, looks very bad for the average Apple user, I think.

About that sandboxing thing; what surprised me most about that description was that apparently Apple thinks it's a good idea to let a chat program call arbitrary programs at will by default.

Lovely combination of factors.

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:

Quote:
I do think, however, that this offers some interesting data to counter the previous 'tests' and that anyone with a bit of network security knowledge can see that the situation is not nearly as dire as that painted by the other reviewer.

Hmmmmm, that doesn't cover out-bound traffic at all so this "firewall" still won't be of any help against keyboard sniffers and so on.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The director of Internet security at Denver University reckons that this is all nonsense too. I suppose if he says this is nonsense, we better take his word for it. Confused
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
elektro80 wrote:

Quote:

Hmmmmm, that doesn't cover out-bound traffic at all so this "firewall" still won't be of any help against keyboard sniffers and so on.

I suppose if you are really paranoid, one can turn on FileVault?? Shocked

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm not sure file vault will protect you if you encrypt your home dir and are logged in. If *you* can reach those files and your programs can then I would imagine so can a malicious program.

File Vault is probably good enough to keep your spouse/ children/ colleagues out of your data but I don't think it's a solution for the truly paranoid. If you are going to use File Vault I'd strongly suggest enabling encryption of the virtual memory because otherwise disk-recovery techniques set loose on your swap partition will possibly yield the files or the passwords anyway.

Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » OSX as a music workstation
Jump to: