electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Artists » Howard Moscovitz
New Piece, Impromptu, Now Online Here
Page 2 of 2 [41 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, perhaps the live setting provides something extra. On the other hand the pieces stand quite well on their own as recordings. We had a name for such performances way back but I cannot remember what we called it. Anyway, it was great fun! Very Happy
egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have to agree with elektro here.
The fact that it's minimal doesn't make it less "musical".
It's still a valid expression.
And I doubt there is any gestural content, other than watching Howard turn some knobs!

Asking "what is music" is like "what is art" - it's highly debatable!
In my view, if it has notes and/or rhythm, then it's music.
Otherwise it's noise, but that's not to imply any judgement.
I like noise too, but it's sometimes useful to have a distinction.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yup Greg.. I agree with you. Perhaps we really should get into a "what is art" and "what is music" debate.. perhaps branching it when interesting topics show up which could be explored further. Electro-acoustic and electronic music is a huge field, and for the sake of this community we should perhaps discuss these matters in depth. I will get back to you guys on this when I have finished the "mac shopping".. just got this nice budget I am gonna blow on some nice gear.. I love spending money on fancy cute boxes.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually, Julie made Howard keep the laptop attached to nord while he did the first concert. It was attached to the LCD projector and the modular pc app was open.

The audience saw how the parameters changed while he was playing. -And I really think this did communicate what he was doing visually.
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Actually, Julie made Howard keep the laptop attached to nord while he did the first concert. It was attached to the LCD projector and the modular pc app was open.

The audience saw how the parameters changed while he was playing. -And I really think this did communicate what he was doing visually.

There you are! Very Happy
There was a visual component to the performance and that, for sure, enhanced it. That was an excellent move. That's exactly what a stage director should do. Very Happy

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:

Kim Cascone performed using an Apple iBook and a piece of MAX software. The software used a library of prerecorded soundfiles.. and played these in a random sequence. The rest of the MAX patch was basically a basic synth and Kim Cascone used filters and modulation for soundshaping. The performance was quite enjoyable and he matched what Howard did .. so this whole concert ended up like a very consistent experience. Perhaps the obvious comparison to Kim Cascone would be Xenakis.. this sounded like Xenakis playing Lustmord using a foodprocessor. Great fun. And all this amazing noise from a white cute little Apple iBook... ?!!! Someone tell Steve Jobs!

http://www.anechoicmedia.com/index2.htm

This is Kim Cascone's web site Very Happy

Quote:
themoors

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm, win amp doesnt seem to accept the stream, probably my snails pace internet connection. Should be upgrading to broadband soon so ill check it out then.

In the meantime,Ive heard a lot recently concerning the nord modular, can anyone tell me how it compares to reaktor? Obviously it takes up none of the computers processing power, but in regards to sound quality and overall potential for sound creation is it any better?
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

themoors wrote:
Hmm, win amp doesnt seem to accept the stream, probably my snails pace internet connection. Should be upgrading to broadband soon so ill check it out then.

I don't know what the problem could be, but I don't care much for this improve. I'm considering taking it down, but I probably won't. One thing neat about the forums is that they are historical documents.

themoors wrote:
In the meantime,Ive heard a lot recently concerning the nord modular, can anyone tell me how it compares to reaktor? Obviously it takes up none of the computers processing power, but in regards to sound quality and overall potential for sound creation is it any better?

The Nord Modulars are the best harware synth for people the love the old analog modular systems and want a polyphonic real-time performance instrument. They are real musical instruments made for human beings to play. A good statement I agree with is here:

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-971.html

Rob Hordjik's comments start about 6 or seven postings down.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Reaktor is more like a lab.It is an excellent app but clearly with some issues... still. Most people end up with using the preset "ensembles".. readymade instruments that run in Reaktor and donwload more ensembles from the NI user forum. Of the two, the Nord mouldars are the ones which are best suited for concerts

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Most people end up with using the preset "ensembles".. readymade instruments that run in Reaktor and donwload more ensembles from the NI user forum.

for this kind of user there is Reaktor Session

REAKTOR 4 vs. REAKTOR SESSION

While REAKTOR SESSION offers musicians an immense collection of software instruments for immediate use in any type of music production, REAKTOR 4 gives users the added ability to build and modify these instruments themselves.
Both software programs include the same instrument library and allow users to create their own sounds, presets, grooves and sample maps. In addition, REAKTOR 4 offers access to any instrument's "structure" to modify and redesign instruments or invent new ones.

Quote:
Michael Chocholak

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice piece Howard. Very classical (traditional) electronic flavor. My stream crapped out about half way through so I'll have to give it another shot, but it was definitely taking me places. You really need to find a place to hang out some tracks.

So as an Impropmtu, is it a completely new improvisation each time or is there a basic structure that you work off of? Does the tie to Mozart relate just to the keyboard work or do you also approach the electronics from a classical sense as well?

Glad your performance went well. Sounds like it was a good time.

I was seriously tempted to give up everything and go be a farmer or something... - Jack Endino, Seattle record producer
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Isn't nice to see old threads raise from the dead every once in a while Question
It means they were worthwhile indeed Very Happy

Quote:
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, Mez.

Mezmer wrote:
So as an Impromptu, is it a completely new improvisation each time or is there a basic structure that you work off of? Does the tie to Mozart relate just to the keyboard work or do you also approach the electronics from a classical sense as well?

Yes, a completely new improvisation each time. The only thing that is the same is the instrument.

As for the tie to Mozart. I'm a big fan of his. In fact, his is the music I listen to more than any other. I'm especially fond of the piano concerti. I listen to them over and over and never get tired of them. His music is beautiful. It sounds fabulous. Of course, his instrumentation doesn't have much to do with two cross-modulated oscillators, but I'd like to think the aesthetic of beautiful music, artful and clever, is sorta similar.

Mozart was very clever, almost a wise ass. In his music, you hear some sort of almost accidental embellishment to a melodic line. You think, that's not really critical, the line would be beautiful without that little, trill, or warble, or run. But, before you know it, that little thingie is the basis of a new theme, maybe even the most dramatic part of the piece. Sometimes, things like this that show up in the first movement are the basis for the third movement. He's always doing things with these micro parts; inverting them, elongating them, and modifying them like Schoenburg does with serial music.

So, I dig Mozart's music because if you listen to it with your mind, there is no end to the cleverness and mastery for you to discover. Like Bach, probably more so. If you listen to it with your ear, it is just downright beautiful. If you listen with your heart, it would touch you to the core of your soul.

Actually, these impromptu pieces are modeled more on Chopin. His music is an inspiration to me too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Michael Chocholak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aha! I had thought from your comments in a previous thread that you applied specific playing techniques or compositional approaches of Mozart to your abstract electronics. But I see what you mean. That's cool. I think most of us perform and compose with reference to our own pantheons of inspiration.

As for the rest of this thread, and in particular the Ferraris... it's got to be a red gull wing Enzo
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
or I'm going for an XKE (even though I'd have to retune the carbs every few blocks). Cool

I was seriously tempted to give up everything and go be a farmer or something... - Jack Endino, Seattle record producer
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mezmer wrote:
I'm going for an XKE (even though I'd have to retune the carbs every few blocks). Cool

do you mean this one?

Quote:

Last edited by seraph on Wed Feb 11, 2004 3:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Michael Chocholak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's certainly a nice one, but it really might as well be a convertable
Could be a labor of love...
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Actuallly, I used to own a '55 Mark VII. Ahhhh, alas.

Page 2 of 2 [41 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Artists » Howard Moscovitz
Jump to: