electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  Faux Pas Quartet and friends Music From Last Thursday
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Nord Lead and Nord Wave synths
nord rack 2 selecting sounds
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
bellay

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:55 am    Post subject: nord rack 2 selecting sounds Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello!
I just bought nord rack2 and am exploring its functions.there is though one thing I can't figure: I use midi keyboard to play the nord. It outputs midi to midi ch 1. All four slots on nord rack are receiving on the same midi channel(ch1).But no matter which slot is activated all four slots play together simultaneously. So I can't select sounds with A-D slots like 4 independent synths. When I select one of them I am able to change its parameters, but I cannot make it to play solo. I checked the manual, but I am obviously missing something.
Thanx!
mrk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: nord rack 2 selecting sounds Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm not 100% on what you're trying to achieve, but you can change the MIDI channel that a slot listens on. Hit SHIFT+MIDI CH (Unison) and it'll show you the current MIDI channel for that slot - you should be able to change it using the up and down arrows.

If you've already done that, it may be that your MIDI controller is outputting to all 16 channels at once - you might want to check that it's definitely only outputting on the channel you want it to.

Cheers,

mkelly
bellay

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yes, I know how to change midi channel for every slot, I've put all slots to midi channel 1, if I change them to 1,2,3,4 I can skip between sounds by changing midi channels on my keyboard, but I thought i'll be able to change instruments with A,B.C.D buttons on nord. My midi keyboard is set to transmit to channel 1 only. So If I leave all ABCD slots on channel one when I play, they all play together no matter what slot is blinking Confused Does global midi channel has something to do with this maybe?
thanx;)
bellay

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm really stucked with this one, and can't get slots to work. They all work as they should(solo/off/layered...) whe I test it with trigger button on rack, but with midi keyboard-no. If I selected slot A to receive on midi ch 1, should I do the same with the rest of the slots? But no matter that, I tried all combinations and It just sounds the same all the time. So I'm in position where I can use all 4 slots togeher or only one(If I turn off their midi channels). Weird
Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't have the Manual at hand right now, but in the NordLead2 a Slot ALWAYS responds when receiving Midi, so there is nothing strange happening here when the Keyboard is sending on channel 1 and all four Slots are on Channel 1...

Wout
bellay

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yes, but anyway if I assign every slot to different midi channel, or turn off, I am suppose to be posssible to make sound from more layers, but in this case I can hear just sound from first slot A, and when I press the rest of slots BCD(turn them on), nothing happens, that is, there is still sound only from slot A.
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Of course...
As you wrote before your Keyboard only sends Midi channel 1, so only channel 1 is playing the synth, in your set up this means Slot A. Set your Keyboard to Midi channel 2 and you'll hear Slot B. Set Slot B to Midi channel 1 and you'll hear both Slots, even when they both not active, because a Slot always reacts to the incomming Midi. If you don't want this, set the Midi of the Slot to 'off'.

Wout
bellay

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanx for replying;)
But then I don't get this - is there possibility to turn sounds BCD on and off, together with slot A, by slot buttons on nord rack or not? Or I'm suppose to do this by turning midi channels on/off on my keyboard. If I turn slot A to midi ch 1 and lets say - B to off, and then turn slots A+B on the rack to on I still get sound only from slot A. I suppose that is happening cause slot B is set to off. If I put them to same midi channel(ch 1) they play together, layered,.Now, only way to turn one of them off is by turning midi channel on that slot to - off.So, where's there use of slot buttons as a tool for turning layers on and off, except for selection of synth I modify?
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The NordLead is designed as a keyboard synth, to be used on stage. The Rack version is designed for use in the studio, in which mostly a sequencer is playing the synth. Just leave the four Slots in the Midi channel 1 to 4 configuration and if you need both Slots to play the same part, just play the same part in the sequencer.

To a Keyboard version things are different. There are three options concerning the LED's:

1. Out - no connection to the Keyboard, but connected to the Midi Channel;
2. On - Slot react to the Keyboard and to the Midi Channel and
3. Blinking - the Slot can be programmed.
(4) All out - the synth is in a [Shift] mode.

To a Rack one always uses the first option, just Midi, to which the synth always reacts. In fact, you don't use the Keyboard, which is the NordLead keyboard Smile

Wout
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm at home now and the whole thing about setting the Midi Channels and so on is on [Manual page 71 - Using the Nord Lead 2 with a Sequencer]

Wout
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Nord Lead and Nord Wave synths
Jump to: