electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Klee sequencer
Big FAT sliders for the Klee??
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
numbernone

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Big FAT sliders for the Klee?? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had initailly fantasized about slide pots for the Klee, but abandoned hope as I practically never see sliders in DIY projects. How glad I am to see so many slide Klees!! Anyhow, mostly I am coming up short of finding anything but 60mm pots. Can anyone comment on the precision you can attain with 60mm? Ideally I would like to find 100mm, but pretty much everything I can locate are audio taper, or the wrong value.

Better yet, who the heck makes a BIG FAT slide pot, as found on the Technics turntables. How nice it would be to have those sweet long throw babies with stiff resistance. Any clues?

This could easily balloon into a Rolls Royce type project, but who cares?? Sequencers are always expensive, and pretty much never as cool as the Klee has shown itself to be.

Big ups to the whole test crew, keep the sick samples coming.
loopcycle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i couldnt find 100mm sliders in linear, so i ordered 60mm.
considering the range functionality, i dont think a shorter slider will be detrimental to the design IMO.

did anyone using sliders use any *smaller* than 60mm?
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mine only have a travel of 45mm and they work great.
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:
Mine only have a travel of 45mm and they work great.

Hey Unc. Where'd you get yours from, and how much? I haven't yet settled on using pots and am starting to think I may prefer sliders as well. Smile (Hoping Mousers, as I'm placing a switches order at the end of this coming week. Smile )
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Believe it or not, I found them in Dick Smith's online catalogue. (I don't think I've seen them in stock for years, must be just sitting in the warehouse gathering dust) They only have one flavour too! 50K linear 45mm travel. I thought, yep, that's just what I'd like. Roughly AU$1.80 each.
They do have a centre detent. Which you might like or not. (It's possible, although tedious, to remove it. Wink I didn't.) And I would certainly advise you to order 20-25 so you can chuck the "weird" ones, but I reckon they're great value.

Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll just clarify that.
By "weird" ones, I don't mean the ones which are way off 50K total resistance. If you leave the centre detent operational, you want the ones which read closest to half the total resistance when they're in the detent. The ones that deviate the most from "half the total resistance at the detent" should be put aside.
This is mostly so that if you dial up a Max Voltage of say, 2V(oct) then the detent position will be closer to 1V(oct). Does that make sense?

fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i will use 30mm sliders. though the klee is not finished yet, i hope it will work fine.

IIRC scott even thought about replacing the sliders with switches! a lot of work is done using the scaler, i think.

Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, you can do great stuff with sliders just in their full up and full down positions. Especially if you choose your voltage scales carefully and have them properly tuned.
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:
Yes, you can do great stuff with sliders just in their full up and full down positions. Especially if you choose your voltage scales carefully and have them properly tuned.

Thanks for the mention of where to get them Unc! Smile 16 x $1.80 Aus. isn't too bad, either.

fonik wrote:

i will use 30mm sliders. though the klee is not finished yet, i hope it will work fine.

IIRC scott even thought about replacing the sliders with switches! a lot of work is done using the scaler, i think.

30mm ...... just over an inch. It'd still work. It's just a little tighter at 2V or higher, in finding the proper divisions.
I myself would like 60 to 100mm, ultimately. Very Happy
The mention of switches though ...... 4 or 6 position rotary switches would be nice.
Ultimately, once again - 12 position with a constant current source for 1V/oct., is my biggest desire. Very Happy With a +/-1 octave switch per step as well. I'll be investigating that mod. possibility, if there's another run of boards, as I'll be picking up a 2nd one for sure. Very Happy
krisp14u

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Futurlec have some 75mm Travel Sliding Potentiometers
that are quite cheep and feel nice $1.20 USD each

http://www.futurlec.com/Potentiometers/POT50KBSLIDEpr.shtml

Paul Darlow

www.krisp1.com
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Klee sequencer
Jump to: