electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Whiskers, solder
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
snooki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Whiskers, solder Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I pulled my wiard wavetable module the other day and saw this bizarre fuzz on what I think are organic solder joints. A soft brush wouldn't take them off. This must be the famous Nasa foe solder whiskers. Are there any standard ways of dealing with this ? Are there any preventatives ?
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Photos?
fiveman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I sort of messed up any photo pos with my attempts to clean it up. It is a sort of gray fuzz. I thought it was mold at first but it isn't, it is some sort of oxidation. For something like this to show up in a Wiard product it has to be some sort of odd or recent phenomena.
etaoin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does it look anything like this?

http://www.dompselaar.org/korg1.jpg

snooki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Louis, that is very close, mine is a little fuzzier. What did you do ?
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've seen this before when I used to fix transistor radios. This type of thing used to appear on radios that had been used by people who liked fishing! ie it would get cold outside, the condensation would get in, and these salts would start appearing around joints. Are these units used anywhere in a place where condensation may occur?

You're right about mold- it isn't that, just additives in the solder/ flux oozing their way out Shocked

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
snooki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thing is, there is no humidity in the case it was in. There is a number of silica gel sachets in the module box. It was stone dry in there. That area in my place is too dry to keep guitars in.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

very odd then. Confused

I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation though. Someone will provide an answer I'm sure Very Happy

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've seen Kester 245 solder flux core remnants oozing out on RMA boards of G.E.'s. Some of those boards had been in mines and others had only been in their test facilities. (Which are near Lake Ontario.)

Both of them possibly could have been assisted by condensation.

Alcohol and brush has taken them both away. Smile

(Looking VERY similar to the above posted photo.)
etaoin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The above picture is from a Korg M500 and is due to condensation eating away at the organic flux. Not sure if it's oxidation or mold, but it only appears on the flux and much less on the solder. Other parts of the (bare copper) board were green and eaten away, so there was certainly a moisture issue, apart from the fact the Korg did a terrible job cleaning and protecting the board in the first place.

I used Fluxclene to remove it of, but just because that can is closest. Alcohol would probably have done just as well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: