electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Atari Punk Pots
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 3 of 5 [105 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
frijitz

Audio files: 54

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wild Zebra wrote:

And this is not intented to be combative, but I don't think you can call 6 working builds from the same layout luck.

Sorry, but a given device from different manufacturers may not behave identically. This is well known. Usually it is not a problem if the device is used as intended, but can show up in nonstandard designs. The gate of the reset transistor may be somehow biased up in the batch of chips you have, but not in others. But the designers certainly did not intend for it to be left floating.

I don't want to be combative either, but I have been designing with this chip for over 30 years, and I hope that counts for something. I posted on this thread because I thought I had a solution to a problem several people were having. If not, then I apologize for misunderstanding.

I'll leave now.
Wild Zebra

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I don't want to be combative either, but I have been designing with this chip for over 30 years, and I hope that counts for something. I posted on this thread because I thought I had a solution to a problem several people were having. If not, then I apologize for misunderstanding.

I'll leave now.

it's cool, we're both trying to do the same thing. Help. You obviously have waaaay more experience than I do. I'm a paint by numbers, kinda know some things, does it sound like it suppose to, guy. I built six working units from the same layout I hope that counts for something. We're just bothtrying to help from different directions. Sorry it came off bad. This is the first time I've ever had to defend myself in a thread.

So back to helping. I truly didn't mean to offend you
Wild (little fish in a big pond) Zebra

moondogsunra

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know some time has past and Im bringing up a dead post....... however, im a newb and cant sem to get my 556 based APC working. My question is what do I do with all of those grounds specified on the schematics. I'm not familiar with routing things to grounds, what is the best method to insure success? Where does the other wire for the power go, and the line out, etc?

Thanks in advance for your help,
newb
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject:
Subject description: Grounds
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In a basic DC circuit like the APC, the grounds are just a common point of connection. Usually the negative connection for the battery is also connected to ground which completes the electrical circuit. try running wires from all the ground points on the schematic to the place where the negative terminal of the battery is connected and see if it works then.
loss1234

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: hmmmm Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i got this to work without any problems. i am trying to remember which layout i used but it worked pretty easy once i figured out how to wire the pots.

if anybody still is having problems i might be able to help

dan
oootini

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does anybody have a vero layout for the 556 APC? the one listed in this thread has been taken down. I can’t seem to find any online. I’ve tried and failed to build the dual 555 apc. I’d really like to finish an apc successfully. I don’t know enough about circuits to attempt building a vero version from the PCB layout. Can someone help? I would be eternally grateful…
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I found these.

atari_punk01a.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  60.75 KB
 Viewed:  35613 Time(s)

atari_punk01a.jpg

atari_punk_console_schem_556.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  8.12 KB
 Viewed:  35614 Time(s)

atari_punk_console_schem_556.jpg

atarilayout.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  84.34 KB
 Viewed:  543 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

atarilayout.gif

oootini

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks. i've found those diagrams too. the thing is that i'd like to see a vero layout for the 556 APC because i don't want to try and make a 556 vero one based on the above diagrams in case i get it wrong again...
para

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

there is this too

http://thesquarewaveparade.com/brdlayot.html

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

steven
oootini

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for all these suggestions. it's a veroboard diagram i am looking for because i'm not confident enough to try and turn a circuit diagram into a vero layout...
para

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

for the APC? just use this http://www.storm-software.co.yu/diy/forums.html?project=software
its free but can get slow

steven
oootini

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

para wrote:
for the APC? just use this http://www.storm-software.co.yu/diy/forums.html?project=software
its free but can get slow

steven

cool, thanks!

i think i'm gonna try that program and post it up the results here...hopefully any mistakes i make in the layout can be pointed out by you helpful knowledgeable types Very Happy .

but if any of you guys have the vero layout from the first page of this thread please post it up...

fanks.
para

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you should still learn how to use that program though it will make future projects easier

steven

ataripunkconsole.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  27.2 KB
 Viewed:  35510 Time(s)

ataripunkconsole.gif

ATARI_PUNK_CONSOLE_VERO.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  30.82 KB
 Viewed:  605 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

ATARI_PUNK_CONSOLE_VERO.gif

oootini

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cheerss steven. that second one was what i was looking for. i know what your saying about getting my head around circuits. for a first project i just wanna make some cool noises without worrying about how their made. thanks again...
bikini-inspector

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sorry bout bringing up an old thread again, but i am desperate maybe someone around here can help me.

i started building the apc about a week ago. i started off with the parts list from nateMC and tried to imitate the layout he used, as far as i could recognize it from the photos.
the result didn't do anything at all, even the LED didn't work. Sad

So i checked if i had all the jumpers in the right place and if all the other connections were correct. I used the schematic from worth_ekik as a reference.
after i was finished i had a half-working unit that only spit out sounds at one sweet spot. With other pot settings, it produced a lot of static and only very low volume. Confused
the second problem was that as soon as i tried to put the sound through an amp, it was dead and the only sound that came through was the "thump!" of the power switch.

The next thing i did was i disassembled the whole thing. Meanwhile i found it really annoying, but i didn't want to give up on the project.
so when i reassembled the lil f*cker Mad i did it exactly the way i read it from Worth_Ekik's schematic. Because this schematic is a lot smaller in size, and i found out that the electronics dude gave me a wrong cap for "C2", i found it pretty sweet and was confident that it would finally work.....for about 2 minutes. Crying or Very sad

now the pots work allright (after i bought a new set, because my lack of soldering skills ruined the old ones), the sound is good and i think i have the full range of the pots.

But still, there is no way to amplify the sound! i can only listen to it via headphone.

i have a small "homebuild" guitar amp that i can switch from passive to active (i can use it as a speaker or an amp) which works fine in passive mode. as soon as i switch it off, the apc doesn't work (or maybe it does, but i can't hear it)

can anyone help me with this problem? I guarantee eternal gratitude and would even be willing to name my firstborn child after the genious that saved me from dumping the entire thing into a lake of sulphuric acid, after roasting it alive over pile of burning cow dung.

Please Please Please

Ben
para

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

what made you think that the apc could drive a large speaker all by itself?you will need an amp. it may drive a tiny little speaker but i can't imagine it would sound good.

there are amp circuits all over the place like the ruby and gem http://www.runoffgroove.com/articles.html

s
bikini-inspector

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

para wrote:
what made you think that the apc could drive a large speaker all by itself?you will need an amp. it may drive a tiny little speaker but i can't imagine it would sound good.

yeah i know that
it can power headphones, though, which works just fine.

when i plug the apc into an amp, there is no output at all(except for a "thump!" when i hit the power switch)
any ideas what i might have done wrong?

sorry if my post was a little confusing...it's late around here
para

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it was

maybe you have the tip and sleeve on the output jack backwards? hard to say

steven
bikini-inspector

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Embarassed

its working now!

i checked if i had mixed up the output cables, which wasnt the case

BUT

to do so i had to desolder the ground connection because i needed a better overview.
I forgot to switch off the apc, and when the soldering iron touched the ground-bus it worked!
so i knew there was something wrong with the way i connected ground. Turns out I simply forgot to connect pin 7 to ground.

d'oh

Embarassed shame on me Embarassed

sorry i made such a fuzz around a noob mistake, but if it wasnt for you i'd still be desperate.

so thank you thank you thank you cheeeezeeey

PS: I hope my first born child is a boy, steven isnt the ideal name for a girl Wink
para

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well as i was growing up my family shared a pretty cruel sense of humor so i was often called Stephanie. maybe that will work out better

just glad you got it working

steven
danielwarner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The easiest way to get this circuit to work is probably to use the original Forrest Mims schematic and ignore the various PCB/perfboard layouts and various circuit hacks floating around until you've first got the circuit working on a breadboard. Some of the PCB/perfboard layouts floating around for various circuits haven't even been tested! WORTH_EKIK's site, for example, provides several PCB layouts that haven't been tested, and I find that site very useful and full of good information, but I wouldn't etch and populate a PCB or perfboard layout that had not been tested. You're just asking for troubleshooting. Wink
Jgleeks

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Folks,
I`ve built the APC on a breadboard using this design, but sadly, along with many others using various schematics, I can`t get it to work. Confused
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
Can someone cast a quick eye at it and tell me if it`s correct Question
Thanks in advance
danielwarner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In the original schematic
a) pin four is tied to the positive rail
b) pin two is tied to pin six
Jgleeks

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

many thanks for that.
Just tried it and it still doesn`t work Confused not a sound at all
Maybe the chip got fried while it was incorrectly wired, I`ll get another and retry.
This really is quite annoying for a simple circuit!!
Jgleeks

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tried it with a new chip, but to no avail - I`d advise anyone looking to ignore the breadboard circuit I posted above as it doesn`t seem to work (unless it`s me got a component wrong!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 3 of 5 [105 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: