electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » News... » PC
PC section
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Jason

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: PC section Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am wondering about the reasoning for having an 'Apple Computers'
sub-forum for news and no PC one?
I would like to formally request a PC Sub-Forum in either news or somewhere. I do see there is a 'Windows as a music workstation' sub-forum, but why no PC news section or equivalent?

I have many things I wish to discuss such as Intel issues etc which will indeed imact both PC and Mac platforms....
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, I don't get that either.

We could also have sections for other PC builders like IBM, Acer or Sony but that would quickly get out of hand, I'd prefer a larger section on computer hardware and how matters like compatibility affect music as well.

Also, where are the Amiga's and Atari's? If I only count people I know IRL I think I know more people that use a Amiga for music then a Apple, at least if we are talking about professional usage.

I think EM uses too much emphasis on brands with regard to sectioning in general, in some cases that's warranted because some brands use unique hardware but for Apple that's no longer true and nearly all Apple matters are OS matters.

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just made this the first thread in the PC section. So go ahead Jason !
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmmmmm, now we are perpetuating the idea that Apple computers aren't PC's. Unless Apple starts paying EM for this privilege I disagree with us taking that marketing role.

How much of the Apple section would be left if we removed the topics about MACOS, the G2 and Logic from there to the sections dedicated to those? The relative emphasis on the Iphone and the Ipod, both of which are about as relevant to EM as the Sony PSP (that is to say, they can be relevant from a certain angle. likely after cracking) make it more clear that what's realy going on is reinforcing Apple's marketing.

Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I agree that it would be better if the name of this section was something with the word "Microsoft" in it.

/Stefan

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
I agree that it would be better if the name of this section was something with the word "Microsoft" in it.

You agree? Well, I didn't say that I thought that was a good idea. If there is one brand we could mention it would be IBM, in the sense of "IBM compatible".

Aside from mice, keyboards and some joysticks MS doesn't even make hardware (ignoring the XBOX here) and we do have a section on using Windows as a music workstation (and the same for Mac and Linux), I'd go with "x86" as it's that architecture that defines what we call a "PC" these days.

This platform got to where it is today (which includes modern Apple hardware) exactly because it doesn't depend on any one single brand.

Jason

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awesome thanks, I am glad I checked back on this thread as my email notification still isnt working...
Thank You Blue Hell! Thank you everyone.

Now I have to think on what to talk about...
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » News... » PC
Jump to: