electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Silver coated PCBs
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
françois

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:07 am    Post subject: Silver coated PCBs
Subject description: The end of a golden era ?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello all,

I've made quite a bunch of DIY PCBs. My sister being adept of DIY photography, she would give me her used revelator baths, full of silver nitrate.
Then I would plunge my engraved PCBs in those, for a few hours (a few minutes should be enough, but I used to do that before going to work). When I come back my PCBs were coated with a nice silver fim. Even occasional small glitches on the PCBs were automatically "repaired" by the silver coating. Great. And very high quality contacts.
But now my sister has turned numeric. Just a memory card, or a USB key. No more silver nitrate. No more (free) high-quality PCBs.
Sigh.
Woe the numeric era ! Wink

-- françois
Clack

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow you can do that?

I go to an art school and they have tonnes of this stuff, might go ask.

Did you put it in the used up developer?

françois

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Of course you can do that ! I was given the idea by a friend DIYer (for him, it was his brother who did photography Wink ).

When you get your PCB out of the engraving bath (I use iron perchloride), rinse it abundantly. Then plunge it into the photographic revelator bath. After a while (you can easily see when silver coating is OK), get them out and rinse again.

The only problem is that you don't (and can't) know the concentration of silver nitrate in the revelator (since it has been used before). This is in part why I let them in the bath for several hours, which should not be necessary. Moreover, I'm very blonde at chemistry, but I suspect there is some matter of electro-chemical potential there. Probably some kind of catalyzer would make things better.

But I'm still happy with the lazy way, so...

Photographers usually throw their revelator bath away (which is not ecologically correct). So, if you can get some stuff, they will probably be happy of your help Wink ...

BTW, all these products are quite toxic, so be careful. And I hope the names I give them are appropriate, chemical nomenclature is not my cup of tea, even in French...

-- françois
Clack

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Um I was wondering what chemical you meant though.

Do you mean the developer? the one that brings out the image? not the fixer

Do you use the film chemicals or the paper chemicals? I guess the paper chemicals are weaker?

And by doing this, are we removing the silver from the developer deposited by the film?

Photo chemicals are pretty safe compared to etching chemicals! Ive drenched my hands in tthat stuff and as long as you wash up after its fine ( makes bad dust )

thanks

françois

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmmm... I'll try to make things clearer. I checked the English names of chemicals, so I hope it will be easier.

First, I was speaking of black & white photography. This may be a point.

The film itself has already been developed. Then it is placed in the insolator lamp, under which the photosensitive paper is placed. After a while, the paper is placed in the revelator bath (silver nitrate AgNO3 or silver bromide AgBr) to "color" (in black) the picture. Then in the fixator bath to "stabilize" it (sodium thiosulfate IIRC).

The process for PCBs is very similar. The photosensitive copper layer is insolated (via an UV lamp) and then revelated using (usually) sodium hydroxyde NaOH. Then it is etched with ferric chloride FeCl3 (other products such as ammonium peroxyde, or a mixture of chlorhydric acid and hydrogen peroxyde H2O2 are used by some people). Then cleaned to get rid of all the covering resin/varnish. This is done with acetone (dimethylcetone, 2(H3C)-C=O). Then rinsed.

This is when you can put the PCB in the revelator (AgNO3 or AgBr) bath. Due to mysterious (to me) electro-chemical properties, silver gets "transferred" to the copper layer (circuit tracks) where it forms a nice high-conductivity layer. This process depends on the concentration in silver of the bath and may take some time. Don't forget to rinse after that.

Further tinning is not normally required but can do no harm.

Hope that helped !

-- françois
françois

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EDIT: Of course you can use "new" (unused) revelator bath for that. But since you can get it for free asking a friendly photographer, even if it contains less silver, it still contains some...
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Doesn´t the silver come from the emulsion? AFAIK, most developers for black and white papers contain metol, phenidone or dimezone and hydroquinone often with a tad of potassium bromide.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Clack

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Doesn´t the silver come from the emulsion? AFAIK, most developers for black and white papers contain metol, phenidone or dimezone and hydroquinone often with a tad of potassium bromide.

I though that too.

found this
http://www.tpub.com/content/photography/14208/css/14208_174.htm

Is what your doing like this? , but without the electricity - the copper somehow attracts the silver out of the exhausted solution. Sorry for all the questions - ill just ask the photography technician

Clack

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well I can confirm it is not the developer it is the fixant that plates the copper - its amazing.

I put it in and it happened in seconds, although when i took the first test strip out and wiped it - it did not stick. i'll leave it in for a few hours.

Im wondering how durable this is though, not good for body contact plates

françois

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 :
You're very right ! I never knew exactly what was going on in those chemical solutions... Since my sister would give me her revelator baths only when they become unsuitable for photographic usage, that means they were "saturated" with silver ions. Thar's probably why it works...

Mr. Clack :
The document you mention is a complicated way of doing the same thing, and not for the same purpose. But it is indeed the same idea. I thought of using electric current to accelerate the procedd, but that would mean having every copper track at the same (cathode) potential, which is not realistic on a real PCB.
As to durability... I never had any problem, but anyway I always put some spray varnish on finished PCBs (all components soldered). But clearly, this silver coating will certainly not endure multiple plug-in-out (e.g. with flat bus connectors, the kind you just insert the PCB directly)). I prefer HE10 connectors for that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: