electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
What is the best use of SAD512, SAD1024 BBDs
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
psylux

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: What is the best use of SAD512, SAD1024 BBDs Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It looks like I might end up with a few SAD512, and while my next BBD project will be Jurgen's board, I wonder if there is a design around to best make use of the higher specs these SAD chips are capable of?
stefano

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can use these chips to implement Chorus, Flangers and Delay based effects. Try to google: Chorus "SAD 1024" .
Bye
Peake

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

IIRC, the 1024 is used in the Electro Harmonix Electric Mistress, the A/DA flanger, and the MXR "117" flanger. All of which sound and behave differently and would each be valid sources for cloning. I see via Google that at least one person already did a limited run clone PCB for the A/DA flanger.

The only circuit I remember offhand as using the 512 was the ARP Omni 2 phaser/flanger board. Not as impressive as the Solina chorus ensemble, IMO.

Good luck, hope that helps.
StephenGiles

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There were a couple of 512 circuits in ETI by Tim Orr who knew what he was talking about.
Peake

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Poking around this board, I see a member ID'd as Moosapotamus. He's the one who created the A/DA clone board I just mentioned. This is worthy of a new run, IMO.

Sorry, I'm way ahead of myself. The Modcan Super Flanger, based upon the A/DA, uses two MN3005 BBD ICs.
StephenGiles

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I found this today on a German guitar effects forum.

http://www.4shared.com/file/21330824/4fd471e1/Jet_Flanger__Filter_Matrix2.html
moosapotamus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Peake wrote:
Poking around this board, I see a member ID'd as Moosapotamus. He's the one who created the A/DA clone board I just mentioned. This is worthy of a new run, IMO.

I thought the interest in that was kind of fading away... haven't had very many inquiries, lately. Awesome sounding flanger circuit, tho. I could certainly start a new thread to see if another run would be worthwhile. Documentation's here...
http://moosapotamus.net/IDEAS/ADAflanger/ADAflanger.html

And FWIW, here's the Bell Flanger which used the 512...
http://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/Bell_BF20flanger1.gif
http://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/Bell_BF20flanger2.gif

~ Charlie

StephenGiles

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I must rescan the Bell Flanger, I really messed that one up when I did it. I got that by phoning the company many years ago!
funkyfarm

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

moosapotamus wrote:

This is worthy of a new run, IMO.
I could certainly start a new thread to see if another run would be worthwhile.
~ Charlie

You definitely should !
And maybe wait until late september, when all the folks will be back from the beach.

We shall all stop dreaming on Eventide/Storm Tide Flanger !

I still remember hearing "ADA flanger is the king !" Wink

Small bear starts growling.

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=245
Peake

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

moosapotamus wrote:
I thought the interest in that was kind of fading away... haven't had very many inquiries, lately. Awesome sounding flanger circuit, tho. I could certainly start a new thread to see if another run would be worthwhile. Documentation's here...
http://moosapotamus.net/IDEAS/ADAflanger/ADAflanger.html

And FWIW, here's the Bell Flanger which used the 512...
http://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/Bell_BF20flanger1.gif
http://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/Bell_BF20flanger2.gif

~ Charlie

Hey! If I can get some money together, I'd definitely build a pair (I've a pair of NOS chips from when Midwest was still selling them- I remember when you could get them at Rat Trap). I agree, it's one of the most interesting flangers, IMO (never owned one of the Rolands). Thanks!
cebec

G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Serge WAD (Wilson Analog Delay) uses a SAD 1024.
funkyfarm

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is there any chance to see WAD schematic on-line one day ?
Some patents are still "active" for SERGE designs ?

http://www.serge-fans.com/wiz_audiomod.html

serge-fans.com wrote:
These features provide an amazingly varied palette of effects. Here are some of the possible ways to use this module:

* VC FLANGER
* "GLIDING" FREQUENCY SHIFT effects (the frequency shift effect is never steady, but is a function of envelopes varying the delay rate).
* STRAIGHT DELAY (perceived as fast repeats as in the delay between two tape recorder heads).
* ECHO CHAMBER EFFECTS, where the delayed signal is fed back into the Analog Delay's input. (The switchable AUX input is particularly valuable for this type effect, especially if an external VCA is inserted into the feedback loop, allowing voltage control of the number of echoes as well as their rate of occurrence).
* CHORUS EFFECTS
* VIBRATO EFFECTS
* DELAY AND ECHO OF CONTROL VOLTAGE ENVELOPES (via IN-2). Though the maximum guaranteed delay is .5 second, in practice the delay will go to more than 5 seconds for low frequency signals such as control voltages.
* MODULATION EFFECTS resulting from the modulation of the input signal by the clock internal to the Analog Delay.

** The first question often asked about the Analog Delay is how long a delay can it do? The answer to this question is fairly complex. Quite a long delay can be performed by the module. However, as delay becomes longer, the bandwidth of the signal which can be processed by the Analog Delay becomes more restricted. As an example, if it is desired to delay a signal consisting of a sine wave at 440 Hz (concert "A"), then better than a half second can be gotten quite cleanly. The same note with a lot of harmonics, say a square wave at 440 Hz, if delayed at a half second, will produce a very modulated output(if the Analog Delay's built-in filters are opened wide) full of extraneous signals, or will lose its overtones because the filters will remove them. (This is why many other delay modules have a dulling effect at long delays). The moral to this story is that one function which the Wilson Analog Delay will not do, is to reproduce the full effects of tape delay (i.e. "echo-plexing") without appreciably changing the signal being delayed. But tape delay is a stock effect, usually available to most synthesists (but which can be used with other voltage-controlled functions such as filtering, phasing, frequency shifting, etc., for more sophisticated effects).
The forte of this module is its ability to transform signals and control voltages in an incredible number of ways.

5 seconds delay for my CVs ? hmmm...
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: