electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
THD107 Quadrature Function Generator PCB's/Randaleem
Page 1 of 2 [41 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
vtl5c3

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: THD107 Quadrature Function Generator PCB's/Randaleem Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I decided to delete my original post here since I'm really not in the mood for bad vibes. I got my boards postmarked late... in the grand scope of things, it's not that big of a deal. It all felt weird after having paid for the boards once already and then getting the money refunded, then ordering the boards again.... you know how the story went. After my post, I found out that I had forgotten to pay the second time around, which left my angry self with much egg on my face after making this public complaint. Anyway, I want to apologize for the public rant. Randal has been in touch with me privately to iron this out. Just want to move into the new year with positive energy. Happy solstice all!
Last edited by vtl5c3 on Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Luka

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i dont really understand what has happened which deserves such a online slamming. i read that whole thread and it seemed like there was a bit of a lynch mob hounding from the get go and people have slowly joined the mob one by one.

the boards arrived so where is the beef?

http://www.last.fm/user/prblmchild
serenechaos

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Boards arrived today! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Postmarked dec 7, 2007 as well. Sad
The boards look to be very well made, parts included. Very Happy
What'd Meatloaf say--
Two outa three ain't bad...

Robert Smile
clickmrmike

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Got my boards and parts as ordered! Thanks Randal!

clickmrmike
RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Got both of my boards today - paid in advance, with no concerns, and communication whenever I initiated it. Everything is looking good.
Thank You, Randall
bubblechamber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I didn't get my chips either, but the boards do look really good.
fluxmonkey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

order received today, complete. thanks randal.

i am very grateful to all SDIY compatriots who've gone to the time and trouble to share their designs, and even more to those who've gone through all the trouble of having boards made up and offering them for sale. i make plenty of allowance for life stuff happening, and they've always come thru. i have never been stiffed by any of the small guys (including Tom at ElectronicsForMusic, or even that poor PSIM guy, although i know that's not been true for everyone).

that said, i also never risk more money on startup projects than i can afford to lose (i don't spend the rent money on PCB boards), and i never count on anything being delivered "on time" (like, scheduling a gig that requires a piece of kit before i have it). even if they guy does screw up, it's not like anyone goes hungry or sleeps in the snow. to me, that's just common sense. i'd never lose sleep of a couple/20 bucks or some PCB boards, life is too short.

in this case, the boards took longer than i'd hoped, but as others mentioned i felt like i was kept current on the reasons, and always received prompt communication if/when i had a concern. i'm sure there's been some lessons learned, and i'm looking hoping for additional projects from GeoM.

in my view, the witch-hunt directed at randal by a few individuals on this board was unfortunate and uncalled for, and he deserves an apology from those involved. that kind of thing does real damage to the targets, and to the sdiy community to the extent that it discourages folks from trying to make these valuable contributions to our collective enterprise. i'm saddened when that kind of vigilantism pokes it's head up in the otherwise pleasant world of sdiy.

just my opinion. back to the bench.

bbob drake
www.fluxmonkey.com
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: QFG Board Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I received my QFG board today. It was post marked on the 7th of December. Thanks Randal for the board.

Regarding an apology. I will apologize to SDIY community at large and this forum and its members and moderators if I have caused any problems on this topic. There are details regarding communications made between the seller and myself which I will not make public in the interest maintaining peace here. I believe Randal and I are at equilibrium now, and I do not want to be a cause for any further problems.
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can respect that, Bbob. At the same time, I can also understand why other people would become exasperated. I didn't order any of the boards, so I had no reason to PM anybody about the status - the best communication I had to go by was what was posted here. I wouldn't have bothered to read that if I were not moderator. Be that as it may, the communication emanating from the seller often appeared diametrically opposed to reality - it didn't seem like a too-terribly straight story was coming out about much of anything. Had I complained about that (and I believe I eventually did) I wouldn't feel the need to apologize for anything.

Speaking strictly for myself and no one else, I figure if a person tells me he shipped me the product a month ago, and when I get it, I find it was in the mail for only a few days, any remaining element of trust that had survived the circumstances leading up to that would evaporate quite quickly for me. Even if I had that product in my hands. I will respect unpleasant truth any day over soothing untruths.

My opinion is if this set of events deters anyone from deciding to make and sell PCBs, then that's a good thing. Because if one cannot learn from this chain of events, please don't repeat it. We'll all be better off if you don't. However, I don't see that aspect as being a problem - there are several 'like' projects going on at electro-music; if there is another situation similar to this one here, I'm unaware of it.

This is just my personal opinion; I don't expect anybody to accept it as anything else.

Cheerios,
Scott

numbernone

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am hoping to get my boards tomorrow, as I am on the East coast it shouldnt be much more than a day behind Ohio/PA.

Anyone else order VCAs from Randal?? I did!! I really hope they show up quickly cuz I sure need em.
keithwin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I received my boards today,
excellent quality, very neatly and securely packaged,
a wonderful job!

I am disgusted how Randal has been treated - he has been accused of all sorts and I only hope he continues with other projects.

The length of time it took to get these boards is nothing - look at synthtech, the MB 808 took time too but who is bothered when you look at what is being offered. This is great stuff - we have never had it so good and most of these pcb jobs are not for profit.

Those of you who came down on Randal - SHAME!
I have had confidence in him from the start.

Keep it up mate

Keith
mono-poly

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I also got my boards thanks Randal!
And let me know when the add-on boards or other stuff will be avaiable!
keithwin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have just read the rest of this thread and I now regret posting to it,
but since I already have I am going to have my go, brace yourselves!

Forgive me if I offend, I have had a glass of wine but I feel some things need pointing out - I have no vendetta against any one but I feel some people need to get a grip and chill a bit.

It seems this thread was started because someone felt they needed to keep having a go, its why the original was closed. Comments like; I feel I have been lied to, and I've decided that I no longer want to do business with Randal are a continuation of the snipeing - its pathetic and harmful - how much inconvenience has it really been - these are great boards. I will be watching to see if these mortally offended few order the add on pcb when they appear - it will be very interesting - it seems to be a 'cut my own nose off to spite my face scenario,' you may as well get rid of the boards so you don't upset yourself any further. Has it really been so distressing that the boards came out a few days later than stated, try ordering from a catalogue!

Again I say it - SHAME!

I remember days on SYNTH-DIY when I asked if anyone could source me this or that IC and kind individuals would send one free! a fantastic community which I thought existed here too - what I see is a pedantic, petulant minority hell bent on the verge of litigation and spoiling it for everyone else.

Thanks for your patience, I had something to say too!

I am getting this sort of thing at work too - being a goldsmith I am getting "you said it would be ready for Christmas" on a daily basis despite it still being over a week away - it has a resemblance to what some people are putting Randal through.

Love you all

all the best for the hols

Keith
numbernone

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Yall, did you receive the boards via USPS??

Im feeling kinda out in the cold on this one now.
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I received my notification from the Post Office that I have a package they cannot deliver as I owe a total of £16 in customs fees. My wife will pick it up Wednesday. Considering the package is worth £23 in the first place, that seems kind of steep, but I'll sort it out when I see the package.

Pretty sure it's the usual Post Office arbitrary £8 handling fee, plus the actual customs charges. It'll be something like that. I'm going to start ordering one board only from the states if the postman is going to insist on being so greedy.

Home,My Studio,and another view
loss1234

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i got my board promptly and every time i emailed him he responded. to be honest i have had other people on this site take longer to get pcbs to me. but really this is to be expected.

the boards are beautiful by the way.

numbernone

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Loss, when did yours show up? As a fellow NYCer I would expect we would be in the same zone for arrival.
loss1234

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oh i got mine like 2 weeks ago.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mine Arrived yesterday, parts included, and well packed. No customs fees either so it does seem a bit arbitary, (mind you I did get gouged £14 for my UD1 kit, and something similar for a couple of Limor Fried's MIDIsense boards). I asked the VAT person about this, and they gave me a hint not to have things sent to my company - commercial ones are more likely to get tagged). Keeping the packages small value helps.

Another point. A kit is regarded as the finished product as far as import duty goes, so will attract the same rate. PCB's are zero rated, and most components are low rate. Everything is liable to VAT, all the same (everywhere in the EEC). Pity there isn't a kind of 'honesty box' system where we could pre-pay the VAT and not get hit for the inspection fee, which is usually the main cost.

So either lots of small packets, and pay more postage, or get one big one, where the fee isn't that significant, and pay the duty and VAT.

Thanks for a nice board Randall, it would be running now, except for the fact that the Klee has eaten the last of my 25 turn trimmers and I haven't had time for a decent order to Rapid. I like the multiple pads for the timing caps, as well as the extra mod areas. My only minor crit is that it would have been good to have multiple footprints for some of the other caps, (2.5mm and 5mm as opposed to just 2.5), as Jurgen does. Otherwise I'm very impressed, good pad sizes, decently spec'd power and ground track, and plenty of power supply and mod options. I can tell a lot of thought went into this.

numbernone

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

CRAP!!! I was reading this just as the mail arrived...NO BOARDS!!!
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
PCB's are zero rated, and most components are low rate

Good guidelines. I will make sure on all my overseas shipments, I put PCB's or parts on the customs form to save you all some $$$$ (No symbols for euros or british pounds) ....... Very Happy

I also got my QFG PCB and am impressed with the silkscreen detail and mounting options. I would advise all to use an RMA flux when soldering to get good topside flow as the plated holes are not tinned. This is not a bad thing and is part of the manufacturing compliance, just advice to turn out a nicely soldered board.

The traces are nice and "beefy" also with good grounds.

Well done Very Happy Very Happy

Bill
Coriolis

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Got my board + parts 2 days ago, and I'm in Europe. Looks very good, thanks a lot Randal!

Now that I know the product is top notch, all that is needed is improved communication with his customers (really the major gripe most people seem to have had - waiting isn't the problem, not knowing whats up - is).

Cool

C
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay, my package is in the house, opened and inspected. Other than the head scratching dollar value placed on the customs form ($72!) which attracted £6.13 in VAT and £8.00 in "Postal fees" (bloody Royal Mail are thieves), I am pleasantly surprised. Included in the package were the 2x 13700s, plus 19 capacitors, plus 2 baggies of socket strips, diodes and pin strips. I cannot see how that all adds up to 72 dollars. It left California on December 7th, arrived in Mount Pleasant on the 11th, and spent another week making it the 7 miles from Mount Pleasant to my house. What efficiency.

Home,My Studio,and another view
ENDIF

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

QFG board and assorted parts arrived yesterday.
Thanks, Randaleem. =]

http://www.endif.org
http://www.crunchpod.com
http://www.myspace.com/endif
clickmrmike

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

State Machine wrote:

I also got my QFG PCB and am impressed with the silkscreen detail and mounting options. I would advise all to use an RMA flux when soldering to get good topside flow as the plated holes are not tinned. This is not a bad thing and is part of the manufacturing compliance, just advice to turn out a nicely soldered board.

The traces are nice and "beefy" also with good grounds.

Well done Very Happy Very Happy

Bill

RMA flux? What's that?
I usually go back over the topside and touch up if I find poor topside flow on an otherwise good joint. Is this bad practice?

clickmrmike
Page 1 of 2 [41 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: